4th Annual Motorcycle Meet Up in Banámichi November 8,9,10

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Turkeycreek, Mar 26, 2019.

1. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom, hows the road over to you from Magdalena de kino. Been a couple years since going over that. Going two up with whizzerwife and not looking for too much “adventure”. Am I better off taking 2 over to cananea? Coming from Nogales.
    EvilClown likes this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    At the moment Sonora 54 from Magdalena is good. It was repaved 2 years ago and is holding up OK. I'll have road updates as we get closer.
    Looking forward to seeing you
    whizzerwheel likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last November Chilejack, Cyclopathic and I rode that highway from Tom,s as a day trip to Magdalena for lunch, great condition and scenic.
    noshoes, whizzerwheel and chilejack like this.
  4. Beaumont Paco

Beaumont Paco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What other Hotels are available I see some on line, are there any that you recommend?
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Check with La Posada del Rio Sonora
    +52-623-231-0259

If they can't help you let me know, there are other hotels we can get you into
    Beaumont Paco and noshoes like this.
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Booked three night there . A few rooms left ! Bonnie and I are looking forward to seeing all you FF's again this fall. Drinks on the deck, overlooking the Plaza, at Posada del Rio on Friday evening . We'll be heading South to
    Oaxaca after the event .

Max
    jimmex and Cal like this.
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I'd say your better off to come through Tucson and ride down with Bonnie and I through Naco . Nice easy day ride with a quick border crossing .

Max
    Cal likes this.
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Hey guys ....
    If my "plan" (I'm using the term very loosely here...) works, I'll be in San Miguel de Allende for Day of the Dead,
    then could possibly head north to join you guys ...
    While I've been thru MX several times I've not been in Baja or the north-west "quadrant" which is what I'd travel thru to catch up with y'all.
    There was mention here in SMA that some parts along the western sections of MX were ummmmmmmmmm.... "less safe"?
    Below are the default suggestions from Google-maps....

I'd be leaving SMA on the 4th ... would that give me adequate time to arrive by the time the fun starts?
    Of course I'd need a hotel room there ... which I'm thinking I could secure with some suggestions/help from the crew.
    Anything else I'd need to worry about?

banamichi.JPG
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It would be great to have you join us JR.
    Los Arcos is full at the moment. I will be sending out an email next week to verify reservations.

La Posada del Rio Sonora should have rooms. (mexicoecoresort.com)
    If not or if you want a less expensive alternative there are other hotels with availability and we will have limited camping.

Let us know if you need help with rooms.

West central Sonora is calm. More issues in la sierra to the east but not scary for travelers.
    Others will have more current info
    JRWooden likes this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    IMHO, you would have a more interesting ride if you went up the center rather than along the coast. Maybe SMA to Guad, then Zacatecas, Durango, Parral, Creel, Sahuaripa and into Banamichi. If you reposted your query on the 'is Mexico safe" adv thread you will get a lot more suggestions, I'm sure.
    going south, jimmex, Animo and 3 others like this.
  11. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Given you limited schedule I'd ride the West coast route through Hermosillo . Cruise up the autopista . Three days should be doable.
    That being said I've ridden SMA , Durango, Creel , Yecora , Douglas Az in three days which should only be considered by riders who are stark raving mad . :ricky

Max
    Cal, chilejack and Turkeycreek like this.
  12. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    you are right Max, I was thinking the meet up was the 11th, but it is the 8th, so only a 4 day window. The coast route would be faster.
  13. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I'll see if I can make this work!
    I ditched my camping gear when I left the states to save weight since hotels are generally so inexpensive.

I've seen Guad, Zacatecas, Durango, but have NOT been up the west coast - pretty? or pretty boring? :lol3

If I wanted to see Baja afterwards I guess I'd have to ride back down to La Paz area and hope the ferry ... (but that's 500+ miles :hmmmmm )
    Then I could come up Baja and head back to NC for Thanksgiving?

banamichi_2.JPG
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The road itself is not particularly inspiring but you it allows you to make time. You can add inspiration with side trips to the ocean front towns.

I haven't ridden this particular ferry in 5 years or so but there is (was?) a ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia. Riding north from Santa Rosalia gives you a good sampling of Baja if you're limited on time or just don't feel like riding as far.
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The Santa Rosalia boat is small and not fun in bad weather. When it's not stormy it is fine.
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fou
    I always try to encourage people to take the inland sierra route through DGO/Zac, Parral, Creel, Yecora, Sahuaripa because its some of the best riding anywhere. :rickyWest coast not so much. Four days would be about perfect for this if you don't mind riding most of the day. Saludos.
    noshoes, going south, Tagman and 2 others like this.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Looks like Rio Sonora is also full for the days of the meet, what else is out there?
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Call our hotel office on our American number at 303-838-6505.
    Talk to our manager Vicky and she will get you a room reserved at one of the other hotels in town.
    Cal and chilejack like this.
  19. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    My friend, Alain and I will be trailering our bikes to Bisbee for the meetup. I need to leave my pickup and m/c trailer for 2-3 weeks while we are riding around Copper Canyon. Do any of you Bisbonians have or know of a secure spot ?
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'll be getting more info out on the event as we move into October - Holy Crap - tomorrow is October 1st.
    But here is a preview anyway. (@noshoes, night 2 of the dancers was great as well)
    MAXVERT, noshoes and jimmex like this.