4th Annual Motorcycle Meet Up in Banámichi November 8,9,10

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Turkeycreek, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    If you are planning on coming and you have not gotten an email from me send me a PM
  2. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom, wish I could go but total MX newbie. Some day...
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Perfect for newbies. We were all newbies once.
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    nothing like that first sip of Bacanora sitting under the lemon tree, laying out the route.
    jimmex, MAXVERT and EvilClown like this.
  5. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Seize the day , "SomeDay" might never come !
    As above, this is the perfect spot to have your Mx travel "cherry busted" :fpalm . You can most likely meet up with
    someone at the Agua Prieta border crossing to help you through the paper work and ride down to Banamichi
    with . Easy Pesy .

Max
    Cal, chilejack and jimmex like this.
  6. fastfreddy1969

fastfreddy1969 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Baja sur, I would be USING FERRY La paz/ Los Mochis(gettin off ferry Tuesday Nov 5 at 7 pm) looks like 666 km or Santa Rosalia/Guaymas on 5th or 6th.(315 km to Banamichi) . After weekend i'd be heading south to Guadalajara area.Maybe Chiapis:) So I could technically be a maybe at this point.
    pceire32 and Cal like this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Freddy - I have you listed in the definite maybe column. Let me know as it gets closer so we have a room for you in town.
    Hope it works out and you can make it
    pceire32 likes this.
  8. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of arriving a day early so may take you up on that offer.
    pceire32 likes this.
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :jive
    pceire32, noshoes and Turkeycreek like this.
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I just sent out and email - if you don't receive an email it means I don't know that you are coming. Please let me know.

Remember School Supplies:

Please bring spiral bound college ruled notebooks, pens, good old #2 pencils, colored pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, protractors, rulers and other school supplies that will fit on your bike. Last year's donations were impressive. If you can squeeze in a deflated soccer ball, we can air it up.
    These supplies go to the elementary school 3 km down the road in La Mora. Unlike the schools in Banamichi proper which are supported by the state, La Mora is a rural school supported by the federal government. They get very little. We have provided support for them over the years by fixing the roof, buying workbooks, collecting school supplies from you all. We just ripped out a failed concrete floor, re-poured it and installed tile.
    We are able to do this because you all support us. You buy our BANAMICHI stickers - that's how we paid for new printers - and you throw in a few pesos here and there.

We also have the Rio Sonora Foundation. A real live 501(c)(3) charitable organization registered in Arizona. Any donations you make are tax deductible. Ask us about it when you are here.

I'm looking forward to seeing all you, both new faces and old.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Here is the text of the email I sent out to those who are confirmed. It has all the info on what is planned. MaxVert has some day rides worked up too.
    Andale!

All is going well with our preparations. This is a pay as you go deal, no registration fees but if you are not coming please let us know as soon as you can so we can free up rooms for others.

Roads as of today:
    • Son 89 south from Cananea and Son 54 from Magdalena to Sinoquipe are both good.
    • Mex 14 north from Hermosillo to Son 89 at Mazocahui is good.
    • Mex 17 south from Agua Prieta to La Pera is good.
    • The road from La Pera to Son 89 at Bacoachi is also good.
    • Mex Hwy 2 between Agua Prieta and Agua Pieta is still under construction with bad signage and lane assignment markings
    • Hwy 15D south from Nogales to Magdalena still has some construction ongoing but it is well marked
    But remember this is today, things can change quickly on Mexican roads. I'll update what I can in the next 2 weeks.

School Supplies:

Please bring spiral bound college ruled notebooks, pens, good old #2 pencils, colored pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, protractors, rulers and other school supplies that will fit on your bike. Last year's donations were impressive. If you can squeeze in a deflated soccer ball, we can air it up.

Schedule of events:
    Friday Arrival night
    - Check-in
    - Carne Asada dinner at Los Arcos. Grilled over mesquite coals with all the good stuff. Soft drinks included. $12 per person.
    The rest of the evening will be spent telling stories, playing guitars and having a good time.
    Saturday
    - Breakfast buffet available at Los Arcos - price is about $10.
    - A demonstration of bacanora making and an amazing buffet lunch served still side. Includes bacanora tasting and hands on demos of giant tortilla making
    and other fun stuff. Cost is $20 and you pay Blanca at the still. She will have product available for sale at $20 per 750ml. All the proceeds go to Blanca.
    - The evening will feature a performance by our regional high school folkloric dance group. These kids are state champs again. The performance will be in
    the courtyard of the home of Tom and Lynn across from the hotel. Cost is your donation to these great kids so they can keep dancing.
    - Dinner is NY style pizza baked in the mesquite fired adobe oven at Los Arcos. Cost is $10 per person and includes salad and soft drinks.
    Sunday
    -breakfast at Los Arcos.
    - Many folks will be taking off but we have day rides mapped out for those staying on.
    - Lunch Sunday - you are on your own.
    - Dinner service is available at Los Arcos Sunday night.
    Monday breakfast and maybe deliver school supplies.

Alcohol
    We do not have a liquor license so we can't sell you alcohol. We do not mind if you bring your own beer, wine or other libations. Beer is available at several locations in our town. Wine and some hard liquor is available at OXXO. 3 blocks away. If you bring some triple sec or mix, we can scare up the makings for a Bacarita - a bacanora margarita.

I think that's it for now. As always, questions and comments welcome. I think there are still rooms in town so if there are others you think might like to come tell them to contact me.

Hasta Pronto!
    pceire32, noshoes, Cal and 2 others like this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My grandfather on my mother's side, Giovanni "Tre Dita" (three fingers) Barzetti, used to hold gatherings like yours in Brooklyn. He never had (or thought of) a liquor license either.

My hero.
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up on the turn off to Curcurpe/Sinoquipe. If you are on 15D south, the turn off is a short distance after the toll booth at Magdalena, you exit to your right and the sign is not on the highway it is half way down the exit road , so keep a sharp eye out or you will miss it.
    noshoes likes this.
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The exit is about 9/10ths of a mile from the toll booths. The exit is not obvious as the ramp slopes down and away.

There is a sign - sometimes upright and visible - like this but I think without the arrow heads

upload_2019-10-17_20-55-58.png

Make the left at the bottom of the ramp but be careful, sight lines to the left don't exist.
    Cal likes this.
  15. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone heading down from S. Cal ? I am leaving Tues or Wed from Santa Monica.
  16. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Check with @Blindwarrior
    pceire32 likes this.
  17. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I don't have my schedule set yet but I'll be coming down from Central Cali coast on probably Tuesday. I think I will run east on 10 to Tucson and heading south from there. Tucson is a bit farther than I like to go in one day so will be stopping somewhere along the route.
    pceire32 likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Otter, Why not continue passed Gila Bend on 85/86 and head towards Aravaca on 286 and then you come out half way between Tucson and Nogales.
  19. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I like that route but I was thinking of crossing at either Naco or AP so I would need to head a bit north to get there. I have crossed out of Mexico at AP so know the spot I need to go to to get my paperwork done, Naco seems to be a smaller crossing so I hope I could figure it out, Nogales looks to be a larger place to cross and may be more confusing to me. I think you get FMM in Nogales and the TVIP 21km from the border but I think I can get both in either AP or Naco.
  20. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    You can get both at K21. No hay problema.
    Cal, OtterChaos and Turkeycreek like this.