1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

/5 front brake lever, reach too long…

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by korinthias, Jun 2, 2019.

1. korinthias

korinthias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum and have an R60/5 1972. Whilst I'm generally finding the ergonomics great, I have some issues with the comparatively long reach required to pull the front brake lever. As I have some arthritis, I'd just like to find a way to get the lever in closer to the handlebar grip.

I've done a bit of cold-bending by putting a tube over the lever and gently and progressively edging it inward, but I'm still finding that I have to kind of gather the lever in quite a way before it starts to apply the shoes to the drum. Conversely, if I then screw the adjuster out further, the reach is so long that I can't apply much force.

While looking at the Motobins (UK) website, I noticed that the R60/6 lever has a dogs-leg which would presumably bring it closer in. Does anyone know if it would fit onto the /5 throttle housing?

Here are a couple of pics from their website, they are obviously different, but the pivot-point / mounting angle do look quite similar:

61061.jpg

61063.jpg

Maybe someone has tried this before…?
  2. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One simple cure, if you can reach the lever comfortably, is to dial in some freeplay. The closer the engagement point is to the bar, the greater control you have. Just make sure that you get full brakes before the lever hits the handlebar.
    photorider and korinthias like this.
  3. korinthias

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Plaka and BMWrench for the suggestions so far… Yes, I should have mentioned, after an overhaul the brake should now be working at optimum. The shoes have been relined, the hub skimmed and the shoes arced to the hub. New cable, twin brake arms re-greased and carefully positioned. The TLS brake has been set up following Duane Auscherman's advice here: https://w6rec.com/5-front-drum-brake-adjustment-and-repair/ and various other sources online and in manuals etc – in other words, the brake should be (and probably is) working well.

The problem I have, because of arthritis, is the distance I need to reach to the front brake lever and the range of movement required at the lever before the shoes start to bite.

I have tweaked the lever inwards a bit by progressively cold-bending, on the basis of 'cold-flow' that Duane describes here: https://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-controls-and-cables-adjustment-and-replacement/

Nevertheless, with my slightly gash hand the range of movement required is a bit much.

Hence I was asking about the 'dog-leg'lever on the /6 series bikes and whether it would retro-fit on the /5s?
  4. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Thinnest possible handgrip.
  5. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Yes, the dogleg lever will fit and function correctly.
  6. korinthias

Oddometer:
    Thanks – yes, I did originally have the later kinda square fluted grips, but changed to the correct thinner Maguras which helped… a bit!
  7. korinthias

Oddometer:
    That's the answer I was looking for! Every little helps, as they say. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
  8. korinthias

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics, one showing the machine in question, one showing the (slightly) straightened lever. Apologies, I've only just been able to get home to take a few snaps.

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

You may notice a few departures from stock, and a little oil underneath. I must tackle the crankcase breather sometime…
    spo123 and aptbldr like this.
  9. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    You may have a problem with the brake switch not contacting the lever correctly. Won't know until you try it. I had to do some modifications to the lever when I did a similar swap on a '76 R90/6 (different perch, different switch, though).
    spo123 likes this.