5+ Reasons you should Hammock Camp & CONSIDER ditching your tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I came up with more than 5, maybe you have a few that I missed? Weight, size & costs are variable, as is comfort, so I left those out, but I would like to hear your lists if you have additional reasons or objections to mine?

2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not practical in a lot of places and not allowed in a lot of places here in western US.

JR356
    Pabst and Tsotsie like this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Vid was too long overall.. you could cut it in half and not lose key info.
    3 1/2 minutes to the first reason is too long.

Usually takes me longer than 5 minutes to setup, as I hang the tarp first and stake it out.

Good sleep and swinging in the hammock are 2 of my big reasons. Biggest negative for me is privacy, and storing gear.
  4. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Bugs love my tender flesh, so I need a tent.
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    bugs love me too, I live and ride mostly in the south, I have a jungle hammock - it works great
    docwells7 likes this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    Takes me longer when I deploy the tarp too, I try to avoid it when I can - I actually prefer taking my chances.....don't mind setting it up quickly in the rain?
  7. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Could be merged with the other thread, but I’ll add a few additional bonus reasons:
    1) The area under your tarp is way bigger than any tent vestibule, so you can store plenty of gear out of the weather.

2) If you position your gear just right before bed, when you wake up you can lean over and light your stove. That means you can make and eat your breakfast/coffee without ever leaving your sleeping bag. Do not underestimate the quality of life improvement of this.

3) Porch Mode. If it’s raining but not very windy you can raise one side of your tarp on hiking poles sort of like a flat roof. That allows you to enjoy the scenery and catch a little breeze as opposed to being claustrophobic in a muggy tent.
    Maggot12 and mouthfulloflake like this.
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    bugs love me too, a $24 hammock with a mosquito net fixes that.
    they can still bite you through the bottom, but since its usually NOT above 70 degrees at night-when I am camping. I always have something under me in the hammock for warmth, which also prevents bug bites
    Amphib and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    There's also the small matter of my riding buddy. He has real problems staying in a hammock.

GillyDragonLOW.jpg
  10. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can set up my tub 2 man anywhere, no stakes needed. I can't set up a hammock when camping in areas like this. What I can be assured of is that my tent will pitch anywhere I find myself, the hammock just will not be a consideration in areas I decide to camp in. camping.jpg
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you do not camp in forests?
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've camped in forests, for years in the white mountains of NH and the green mountains of Vt. while in scouts. Winter camping in Vt. was always a lot of fun, but thankfully enclosed tents keep the wind chill to a minimum.

I can't use a hammock everywhere, I can camp in my 2 man tub anywhere. The choice is obvious which one gets the nod. I have no desire to bring both, nor one that won't be able to be used much of the time.

Choices:
    tub tent=camp anywhere, enclosed keeps the wind chill to a minimum.
    hammock=camp some places, but not just anywhere

The choice is obvious, I can use my tent in all kinds of varying conditions, that's not the case with a hammock.
    Tsotsie likes this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    ....for anyone camping in a desert I would have to agree?
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camping anywhere, let alone the desert. Try setting up your hammock on the tundra north of Fairbanks, ain't gonna happen. See, if I go two hours north, I'm in pine forests, but I'm still not guaranteed to find a suitable spot for hammock set up, the tub free standing 2 man will free stand anywhere I want to put it. If I go 2 hours south, I'm in the Sonoran desert. The tub 2 man will be just as at home as the forests to the north.

I don't have to find a spot to set up a hammock, I only have to decide "right here, right now", no matter where I've landed with the 2 man tub/stakeless tent that set up anywhere I want it to. Why be a slave to location to rest for the night?

What you won't find me saying is "I can't camp here, no place to set up the hammock". If all your camping is forested with trees to hang the hammock from, good for you, but don't expect to be convincing others that the hammock is the end all be all for camping, cause it's not. Last damn thing I want is wind whipping in and through the open area under the set up even as it may only get to 45 degrees at night, add windchill and you're miserable.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    I mean you are describing desert camping right? I even mentioned it in the video @ 3:00 -" if you don't have trees........."
    Starting the get the picture that you either hate hammocks, or have never tried camping in one?
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I knew this would escalate.. I carry both.

See those trees in the background. That's where I'll be hanging out, and dry.

[​IMG]

Hey fuckers, I heard we had some rain last night... :D

[​IMG]
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    I carried an optional bivy on a few trips for "tree deserts"
  19. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also mentioned the tundra in Ak, it doesn't have to be a desert setting to not have trees available for a hammock. Colorado, above the tree line at about 8K feet, no trees but not desert. In NH, treeline is around 4500 feet elevation.

I'm sure you've gotten the idea by now that I'm never going to consider a shelter that requires certain environmental conditions like trees. Thus, nothing you've mentioned as plusses for hammocks won't apply to a wide group of bike campers./ Glad it works for you, my house has walls, not just a roof hung by cables, my shelter will also have walls. On an 8K road trip last summer, 1/2 the camping involved no place to set up a hammock. Thus the idea one tent for all ocassions/potential scenarios.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    That I have certainly gathered, too bad you will never experience hanging - it has certainly changed my experience moto-camping.