5+ Reasons you should Hammock Camp & CONSIDER ditching your tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I can't stand hammocks. I like to sleep with my back flat, I move around and I often camp in the southwest where there's not as many trees close enough to make a comfortable place to tie something to.
    Nearly every photo I have ever seen of a hammock set up for camping is set up in a "U" shape. That doesn't look comfortable and it for me using comfortable.

But I know plenty of people who do use them and like them.

Just like it's not super likely I'd buy a KTM as my dirt bike. That doesn't make your choice of.... fill in the blank, bad it just makes it your choice.
    Pabst likes this.
  2. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Just curious, did you watch any of the videos?
  3. squish

Oddometer:
    I watched the hammock video. You are siting slumped in the middle of a U shaped hammock. The shot of you in the hammock shows the lowest point being well below the highest point.

The only point that makes sense is that you can camp on a hill if you have trees.
    But then in 30 plus years of camping I have never came across a situation where I could camp because of the hill side.

Otherwise, still not sold on hammocks.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not saying a hammock is for you, but if given the chance, take a nap in one.

Saying it doesn't look comfortable is not the same as lying in one.

sprouty115 likes this.
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is I am actually sitting in an ASYM hammock, and sitting looks a good bit different than sleeping. You can actually lay almost completely flat. The last video I posted is also from a different style of flat-laying hammock, and I did not even know about that one until today. I was once like you. I rejected hammock camping strongly too, until a couple of guys explained it to me, That is what I am trying do here. It may STILL not work for you, but I am simply asking you to keep an open mind, and try one when you have a chance?
  6. squish

Oddometer:
    I have been in a hammock. And I cant sleep in them. I dont sleep with my ass inches lower than my head and feet.
    And every hammock I've been in that's the case, even when I am in them side ways, at an angle. New fancy nylon ones or old school wide rope ones.

For a beer and a relaxing 20 minutes they are great, for 6 hours of restless tossing and turning and swinging and ending up with a bad back....
    No thank you.

The wife has a fancy one and she can nap for hours in them. We even have a hammock stand in the yard.

So I know they work for some. They just don't work for me.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    sin.png
    Understood. I sleep really well in MY bed. I sleep OK in hotel beds. I sleep OK on the ground if I am really tired and/or drunk. I sleep OK in my hammock, almost always. Now I can sleep OK in my hammock in winter it appears?

I cannot argue with people that have tried it and don't like, it makes no sense to do that.
    Most of the people I talk to about hammocks have never tried anything like what I am using, or a bridge hammock. They look at it, and say "I can't do that".
    So many people are missing out on something new, or maybe have even given up camping altogether because, like me, they have decided ground camping sux.
    I hate to see folks missing out because of a lack of knowledge, experience, or simply a little bit of evangelism? :)
    squish likes this.
  8. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a hammock, it’s a great tool. Best sleeps in it ever. I sleep equally as terrible in my bed, hotels, on a couch, on an air mattress or the floor. Better sleeps in a tent, air mattress or not, better again outside not in a tent and best in a hammock.
    If I can hang, I hang..
    ECE89245-FCA7-4D31-88A8-AFE017D55F4B.jpeg
    I hang my riding gear on my ends of my hammock to keep them off the ground and air them out, they are after my rain breaks under the tarp so they stay dry, everything else is in a dry bag it in the panniers.
    If there’s no trees, well I still have the tarp. It works well a shelter and is pretty much all I used growing up. Not my photo.
    A7FB4997-1764-4F4D-91F9-31D850F27F8D.jpeg
    If the bugs are bad, well I still have the hammock, which has a zip on bug net and I carry 2 3 foot collapsible tent poles for just this reason. They work well for other stuff as well, this is shown with trekking poles but the same, same applies...not my photo.
    8B7DEF34-619F-4FE5-B5B0-64BEB066D1C5.jpeg
    I use an air mattress inside my hammock, so it still works on ground fine. I can always set it up with part of the tarp as a ground sheet if needed as well, but you usually stay dry without it.

And well on my last trip someone didn’t like the idea of me sleeping with just the tarp so they “loaned” me a tent ( they said they’d get it back from me the next time they see me....odd) so I had it as well for a couple weeks till I made it home. It fit in my drybag with my other gear so was t a huge issue I suppose
    3B38107E-7FC5-4B89-96EF-C76A828EFCEF.jpeg

I come from a backpacking through hiking word before moto camping. So everything I have is packs small, is light and I can do a week with a 38 litre backpack. Minus water for the week only 3 litres at a time. I use the same principles for motor camping now, less, less and less again is still too much. I do carry a small chair with me on the motorcycle, it seems other people end up using it more than I do though.
    Amphib, Maggot12 and dredman like this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    All good points.
    I have camped on the ground with the tarp and a groundpad several times - so in essence, we really always have both rigs - right? Never been in a situation where I needed bug protection on those trips, but I always knew I had it if I needed it (pretty sure I would still try to tie it off to something)
    I was also considering ditching the groundpad until reading your reply, my new one is so small I think I will take just in case I can't find two trees?
  10. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Ground pad as in sleeping pad? You can use it inside your hammock as well, as extra insulation in cooler weather. I just use a sleeping bag not a fancy quilt so the extra insulation is nice sometimes.
    If you mean as a ground sheet, people that ultra light hike usually carry some tyvek (the stuff you wrap houses in before the siding) and set their gear on it, it doubles as a little foot mat to get your shoes on getting out of the hammock. It also triples as something to lay on if you need to set up on the ground, they are light and fold up really small. I don’t carry any as I still have my air mattress.

some one earlier was mentioning bugs biting through the hammock, a double layer hammock prevents that, or a sleeping bag, or a sleeping pad.
    dredman likes this.
  11. Bitte ein Bit

Bitte ein Bit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I have both. I have a nice Warbonnet Blackbird XLC setup with a SuperFly tarp. I also have a BigAgnes Blacktail 2P tent.

I simply cannot get comfortable in the hammock. I'm not sure what it is. I can't seem to get the angles right. Too high, too low, sags too much, feet too high, head too high, etc. The tent is far easier. I'm setup in two minutes flat. Done.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    Bitte ein Bit likes this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    Wow, I sure would like to see THAT video? Two minute tent setup - that should go viral? Takes me 3 minutes to pull my tent out of the stuff sack & put the poles together?
  15. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Iunno. Three poles and they've got that bungee that runs through them. They flip right together. Snap the ends into each corner of the tent. Done.

But good work on totally skipping over the point of my post.
    WYO George likes this.
  16. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    isn’t the idea to go camping for the relaxing experience? I’m not racing anyone to setup or take down my gear, so I’ve never timed my self before. But considering I seem to do nothing quickly it probably takes me more than 2 minutes to set up my tent or hammock....shit the air mattress itself definitely takes over 5 to get inflated.
    For take down I usually do it while I’m boiling water for breakfast and letting my coffee steep some.
    704BFDEC-68C0-4286-BFDB-895949B39319.jpeg

If something takes a little longer, that’s ok I enjoy the process of doing things, I suppose.
    dredman likes this.
  17. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker Asym.... guess I’m another ground dweller that just can not get comfortable in it. For me, it’s the wrap-around of the sides - sleeping in a fabric V feels more confining, while mattress/pillow/quilt is about the same as my home bed.

I’m also into ultra-compact/-light and do 4-day/45F backpacking trips out of a 24L daypack, 12L for stealth overnighters. The HH is significantly larger and heavier packing than my double-wall mid tent, and same goes for underquilt vs airmat.

Also don’t see how you can stay dry (cooking for example) in a wind-blown rain. The full-size ‘doored’ tarps look cool, but they get quite big/heavy.

I do love the idea of hanging though, my terrain is Appalachian, with loads of well spaced trees, and a PITA finding good flat ground.

Any of you hammock guys use one as your primary home bed - just curious since it sounds so comfortable for so many?
  18. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a Dutch wear gear hammock double layer in the lightest material they have, with whoopie slings. For the tarp I have a couple different ones as I would normally carry one while tenting anyways so I have a spot to cook and sit if it’s raining. I use a sleeping bag good for 50 degrees f most of the time and an air mattress in the hammock (air mattress slips between the 2 layers of hammock holds it still and helps keep it flat and me warm). Normally the wind only blows 1 or 2 ways, so I only set my tarp up to keep me dry. Tarps can come in different materials and thickness but they get expensive quick that way.

for sleeping in one every night, I would yes. I’ve never been a fan of beds, never quite get comfortable and well always too hot in them. But unfortunately my wife wouldn’t have it me sleeping in a hammock and her in a bed. We sleep in a bed because that’s what normal people do...... normal folks are also lame, so I sleep in a bed which is lame.
    dobby, dredman and Snapper like this.
  19. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks... wind seems to keep shifting on me when I camp. Every time I have a campfire, I seem to dance around it trying to avoid the smoke.

I tried a mat in the hammock but falling into the ‘fabric V’ created cold spots where my shoulders/arms/legs touched - I do see Klymit makes a hammock pad with ‘wings’ for that problem, but it’s heavier then my whole shelter + pad.

Any single folks use a hammock at home?
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    I don't see how anyone stays dry in a tent?
    - how do you put your boots/gear on in a tent without roaching around on your back?
    - getting in/out during rain is always a nightmare, inside and/or bag always gets wet
    - access to gear (and dry storage) is limited by tent size when raining
    - corners/side and sometimes bottom of tent always are wet after heavy days of rain, and sometimes even flood?

If it is raining hard or sideways, I simply elevate my gear closer to the hammock, or lower the tarp - all the way to the ground if needed (think "floating tarp" that might even touch the ground like a tent)

I am never more wet than I am when I setup the tarp - that is the last of my wetness until I WALK out from under it.

A river can now flow under my feet.......... up to about 2 1/2 feet in fact :-)