5+ Reasons you should Hammock Camp & CONSIDER ditching your tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Pretty easy to center it up with slings
    But I see your point

99% of the time I spend about 2 minutes hanging it
    If it's not centered then the high end is my head end
    No issues for me
    I sleep so good in a hammock I don't even have to be fussy about all of that
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have mine marked (straps/buckle/pouch) with red identification) so the head end is always on the same end. Thats the same end I pull out of the stuff sack first.. Zipper/exit is always on my left when inside. Again, just little things for me to minimize much thought after 8 set it up as such.
    I did the same with my underquilt. So no further adjustments after the initial setup.
  3. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I think you have good gear to start with, so it's just a matter of finding what is right for you. I use my body as a guide, wrapping the tree at eye-height, ridgeline in the middle at nipple-height, and I usually put the feet slightly higher than the head.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Is a centerline a fixed ridgeline that is always attached to the hammock on the gathered ends? I tried that on my last trip and I really liked it. Mostly cause I suck at tying knots, and that was one less thing I had to tie when I set the hammock up. :lol2 Made it simple to set up the bug net (stopped using the hammock with the integrated net). This set up allowed me to hang things like my glasses and headlamp on the ridgeline.

In a hammock, I fall to sleep in like 5 minutes. In a tent it takes at least a half hour cause I toss and turn trying to find that perfect position.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My ridgeline runs inside the mesh.. and is attached to the webbing rings at the gathered ends. So I can still hang stuff from it. I made the ridgeline adjustable at first like a whoppie sling so I could make small increments in adjustment till i found the sweet spot. Once I got that and a 30ish ° angle I then made a solid line.

The hammock hangs the same every time no matter the distance from the trees.

Mine's a Warbonnet Blackbird with the foot pocket and inside righthand shelf.

dredman likes this.
  6. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did the MABDR and TAT this summer. Slept outside about 25 nights. Every one in a hammock. Including all over the west. Never had a single problem finding a place to hang, even in the desert in Moab. I hate tents and will never sleep in one again. If you know what you are doing you’ll never have to. Hammocks all the way. Adjustments.jpg
  7. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I think that is pretty important, understanding your gear - there is a great channel where I learned a LOT on hammocks, setup, and how to, etc.

8. IntrepidAdventurist

IntrepidAdventurist Caged Animal who breaks away from grind sometimes

Oddometer:
    I had a great Fly Fishing trip in the Catskills. Brought a no see ums net. Didn't need it. My Corgi didn't mind sharing a hammock.

Super Low Cost Set up. Walmart for hammock 20$ Tarp 15$ old ratchet straps x2 para cord for the tarp. Sleeping bag and good to go.

Hammockwcorgi.jpg

Attached Files:

dredman likes this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    Something pretty cool about seat-of-the-pants camping. Cool, but scary. Maybe that is what makes it cool? Been thinking about making shelters with Walmart tools lately - why is that so compelling to me?
  10. IntrepidAdventurist

IntrepidAdventurist Caged Animal who breaks away from grind sometimes

Oddometer:
    Low Key Hammock camping on a budget before I spend the big bucks on a hammock, quilt, fly and straps.

No tools necessary. Hammocks and moonshine do not bide well for a good nights sleep. :rofl

11. dredman

Oddometer:
    I think some final testing with the underquilt tonight should give me enough confidence (low 32) to start packing all the new stuff for next week, a short trip into the woods for testing, a little moto-fishing (I am terrible at fishing so that should be amusing), and maybe even cook up some fish for dinner? Pretty excited about getting back into the woods for the first time in many weeks.

my last moto-fishing debacle

12. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going on an overnighter this weekend. Was told there will be nothing to hang from. I will be in my tent for the first night in a while. Oh well.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    I imagine there will be some nights spent in a tent in my future also. I love Moab and the surrounding hundreds of miles. I love AZ, and some of the desert in Cali, and I feel your pain. Maybe we should form a support group, for those veterans of tent camping, the reformers, graduates of the 12-step programs to eliminate ground-dwellers? I will be hanging this weekend...thinking about you - Hang-in there my friend...trees are in your future, I just know it!
  14. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the empathy.
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Humans have been ground dwellers for millennia and will continue to be ground dwellers for millennia to come. The human lineage originated about 2.5 million years ago, coinciding with the expansion of savannas — grasslands mixed with trees — across East Africa. As such, researchers have long speculated that savannas were key to our evolution. For instance, the replacement of woodlands with savannas may have prompted the ancestors of humans to stray from trees and begin walking upright across the grass, which in turn would have freed up their hands for tool use. Maybe you have more cro magna genes than the majority of current homo sapiens. Is there a major military force anywhere in the world that issues hammocks? Didn't think so. :D
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    You mean besides the US military & NATO? I would have to look into other nations, but I am pretty sure there are quite a few - maybe they use ours too?

Check out the M-1965 below, and let me know if you want more info? Not sure if you REALLY want to discuss evolution as a reason not to hang from trees? You realize before savannahs, we swung from trees right?

[​IMG]
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    US Navy

[​IMG]
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    US Army

[​IMG]
    sprouty115 likes this.
  19. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first reference I've read about Hammock camping ( 'the Complete Walker III' 1984) was a guy loving his Vietnam era US Army hammock. So if you hate hammocks- blame the Army...
    dredman likes this.
  20. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    You missed the point entirely? My post stated we left the trees for the Savanna's, went bipedal and eventually ruled the animal kingdom. We never ruled from the trees as a species. Thus, trying to convert grounders to hangers is counter evolutionary.:D