5+ Reasons you should Hammock Camp & CONSIDER ditching your tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 5, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:

As usual, you make several vague "points" with each post, and when I murder the point that is addressable, you accuse me of missing or avoiding? I would be glad to discuss evolution, just not in this thread. I would also LOVE to discuss the merits and/or limitations, considerations of hammock camping in this thread, as long as it does not a discussion of the need for trees (which has been acknowledged). I do admit that your evolutionary tack may be your most interesting point, it is speculative at best. The discussion of the wisdom of our primate ancestors seems a bit foolish, since it appears that, many of them are still wildly successful masters of many jungles and quite a few cities?

I would rather discuss the military use of hammocks, but now that you have abandoned that point in the harsh sunlight, maybe we should discuss some of the brilliant points made in this thread by other members?

[​IMG]
  2. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lot's of species have started down one evolutionary path and then thought better of it- Whales, Dolphins come to mind. Clearly some of us have decided to stop rolling in the mud like pot bellied pigs. ;)
    dredman likes this.
  3. dredman

Oddometer:

Some of us......... clearly !

Others are still evolving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! That is hilarious. The late great Carl Sagan used to say when an argument or a position was so so bad that it didn't make any sense "it's so far off it's not even 'wrong'"
    dredman likes this.
  5. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's easy...try it:
    [​IMG]
    The lockable weatherproof yellow pelican case is always on the bike. Carries supplemental tools, clutch cable, spark plug, first aid kit, survival kit. The engine guards have MOLLE utility bags mounted - right side is 2 liters of water, left side front inner tube, boonie hat, 25' parachute cord.

Everything camping & cooking/eating related fits into the single 40 liter Seal-line waterproof duffel bag. Personal kit and a liter of water in the Wolfman tank bag. Camp chair & hammock storage bag strap onto the duffel which is strapped in front of the pelican case. All gear is quality lightweight backpack grade - buy it once. Green Chili Adventure Gear for all strapping.

Hennessy Hammock Asym, reflectix insulation pad, Exped Dreamwalker down bag - a design picked for hammock use: top/front zipper with arm holes and hood. You can get into/out of the hammock wearing the bag.

Have a small lightweight tarp that covers the bike at night - keeps the dew off the gear & bike. The Alaskan sheepskin seat cover comes off and rolls up into a nice pillow.
  6. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Idk if it was covered but I use this mosquito net. It has a solid bottom and comes with a ridge line. I toss my gear into it, so it's right under me and off the ground.

https://www.rei.com/product/754781/...Smt-wODGUct-VOYpL7bPYAiyCQHwtBTYaAr8KEALw_wcB
    dredman likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My hammock has a built in net. Can't be removed, but flipped over the ridgeline.

Some use a small gear hammock and hang under their hammock. I hang my stuff up.

8. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will had my 2 cents to this tread. I have quite a few tents & hammocks. They all have their pluses and minuses . Hammock camping does have a greater learning curve. It is always best to experiment at home before going in the field. Gathered end hammocks are not for everyone. They're more finicky to set up. If you're a side sleeper or stomach sleeper, you may find a bridge hammock more comfortable. My wife cannot get comfortable in either type of hammocks.

I recently got a hammock Draumr and she loves it . She is now more receptive to moto camp since I got this hammock.
    I'm including a video of a guy that moto camps with either a tent and hammock . I figure it can be of interest in the scope of this discussion.

AZQKR and dredman like this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    Love my pelicans too!
    Sure would like to see a picture of you wearing that bag - or a video of "Sleeping Bag Man Attacks Tokyo" ??
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    my experience so far with underquilt - pretty extraordinary, I am VERY impressed.

11. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    That minimum distance is way too large. There has to be some sort of mismatch of parts or usage in your suspension.
    If you are still willing to continue the hammock experiment and have a photo that you could share of your setup then other users could probably identify the issue pretty quickly.
    May not guarantee that you would be comfortable, but it would give you a better chance of more consistent results and greater flexibility in site selection.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'll have to tackle that next year. Its craaaaaazy long. And because its so long, I get a lot of sag when I lay in it. I could almost use someone in the area to show me the ins and outs of this thing. Since I got it used, I'm not sure what is standard and what has been altered. The shitty thing that happened last year was I went to lay in it, and the top canopy wasn't out of the way when I went to lay on it. I tore it. I sent it back to Warbonnet and they fixed it, but I still feel like I really messed it up.
  13. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Yes I switched in July/August and it has been a huge improvement in how I feel when I wake up. Added bonus is I was amazed at how large my bedroom seems now. I have a rowing machine that was always awkward to find a spot for, now it fits in my bedroom.

My camping hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird.
    My home hammock is a Colombian cotton setup
    https://www.lasiesta.com/us/en/la-siesta-carolina-flowers-cotton-double-classic-hammock-cah16-2
    Snapper likes this.
  14. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of YouTube’s on hammocks and how to get them right, it does take a bit of finesse but the effort is worth it.
    Checkout Hammockforums, plenty of info there plus ways to meet up and try stuff.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    I would be surprised if there was anything better than Shug's channel - got everything I know from his vids - pretty awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8
  16. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    do you sleep on your back?
  18. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly. Sides a little. Stomach never.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    You might want to look at an asym, not a brand, a type of hammock. Have you looked at #115 above? Try shugemery - there is a lot to know and learn about hammocks.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: