5 up on two bikes or the long way to the Trans Lab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sakurama, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Revit has used a couple of shots from the trip but they loved the video and have been working on making a story of the whole trip. I saw a short preview and it's really cool. I shot a ton of video on the trip but it was too time consuming to do much more than post short clips. That and editing is essential to video and I'm only just starting to learn that.

Anyway it should be cool to see. I'll post a link when it's done.

Hi Dad! No, still no middle name. I was lobbying for Aprilia and Judiaann liked it until she realized the name wouldn't make sense unless I owned an Aprilia and I don't exactly need another bike. She was born the weekend of the NYC motorcycle show though so I'd say she's got bikes in her blood.

G
  2. wingnut7

wingnut7 Wingnut

Oddometer:
    This is the the second storry I have been reading of the area you are riding in and the the other one was from the GoldWing Mag.
    Just looks like a lovely part of the world you are in. Well you 4 and Half folkes keep the rubber down and ride safe. Lovely pictures
  3. kevin2735

kevin2735 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This quote was by far my favorite passage in the whole story. I have been riding most of my life, starting with motocross when I was a teenager. About ten years ago my wife got me an Indian which has been alot of fun but not for long rides. Last week I picked up a GS and cannot wait until I have the time this summer to let wifey know I will be gone for a week or so and not to worry. Thanks for a very enjoyable hour of reading! :lol3
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Love your photos. Great story too. How did your 5D2 & lenses savived in the Palican case?:D

Was think of taking my DSLR to my next trip to Tibet but may be opt for a GF-1 instead.

[​IMG]
  5. sakurama

Oddometer:
    The gear all survived just fine. Even the laptop, which I'd consider the most susceptible to the vibration, did just fine. I'm typing on it as we speak. The LaCie hard drives are pretty indestructible too.

Where is that photo?

Gregor
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Great, now I want to know how you attached the box to the bike. :D

The road of death, Tibet, May 2009. We are going to ride this road again this year and hope to make it through and over to Nepal.

Franki
  7. GSGIRL

GSGIRL Neither here nor there

Oddometer:
    This was a great ride report with stunning photos. Thank you. Newfoundland was one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Just stunning!
  8. mike anderson

mike anderson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice report good pic's
  9. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your report, still subscribed. 1 question .

It looks and sounds in some of the clips like you rode with the baffles out of the Akras. I have the same set up on my 950 but find the noise too much on a long trip. How did you and more importantly Judiann cope with the sound?
  10. sakurama

Oddometer:
    They're Wings which I think are a bit mellower than the Akra's but we ride with ear plugs and I never rev the engine or ride in an irresponsible way. :evil
  11. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Gregor, as I said before, this is a great report. As others have said, the photography is as much a part of the report as the trip was. This thread has been instrumental in my renewed interest in photography.
    Just out of interest, can you explain the process/equipment used to produce the stop motion video of the ferry on page 3?
    Thanks
    Bill
  12. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you're getting back into it. It's a really great time for cameras and motorcycles right now - we're enjoying some of the nicest equipment ever made.

The time lapse was done with an intravelometer which is basically a fancy device that lets you take photos at specified intervals. You don't need one to do the time lapse stuff but it helps unless you have a lot of patience and time. Basically you're creating a movie but instead of 30 frames per second you might shoot 1 frame every 30 seconds and then put it into a program like Quicktime and choose the frame rate to play it back at, say 10fps. Now you've compressed 5 minutes into 1 second. Now a sunset that lasts an hour is 12 seconds long.

You may not realize it but this has become a very common thing for TV shows in intros or segues. Look for short scenes with fast sunsets, clouds, or fluttering lights on shows like Survivor or Top Chef. Those are done this way and when you see them smoothly pan that's done with a device that also moves the camera a fraction of an inch every exposure.

There's a lot of information on time-lapse on the web and this link has some good information and some nice examples.

To get started you'll need a tripod to keep the camera in one place and steady so the only motion is what's in front of the camera. It's best to shoot in manual so the natural light changes are reflected in the end video, i.e. when a cloud goes overhead it should get darker but a camera on auto might make it brighter for that one or two frames. Without an intravelometer you become the intravelometer by pressing the shutter every 10 seconds or 30 or one minute. Obviously if you're hoping to shoot a flower opening up over several days you can see the immediate benefit of getting the hardware to do this button pressing for you but if you start with something of a shorter duration like a sunset than you won't get too bored sitting there like a shutter monkey for an hour.

While you could shoot in RAW I'd recommend a smaller Jpeg size since even 1080p video is small compared to still cameras. Collect all your shots and compile them with software like QuickTime Pro (or search for free alternatives on the web).

To see some truly beautiful time-lapse photography check out http://www.timescapes.org/ which was one of my original inspirations. Hope that helps.

Gregor
  13. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    I stumbled on this and spent my Saturday evening and Sunday morning reading you wonderfully scripted pictorial. In the beginning was just thinking how great you catch life through the lens, but now I know why it's your job.

Very entertaining and my hats off to the gals riding two up. My wife is Korean (yes a tough breed descended from Ghanis Kahn) and we use to do motorcycle trips together then came our daughter slowed us down a bit but no regrets she now has her own life (college) and once again the wife and I are rediscovering our relationship through two wheeled trips again, and I believe you caught the essence of two-up in your RR. I read someplace here on ADV about two guys taking off on KTMs for around the world trip and the tag-line really struck me

"4 wheels move the body and 2 wheels move the soul" DITTO!

I tried to get my wife to ride her own ride but she has no interest she throughly enjoys riding behind me. May you have a wonderful fulfilling life and that beautiful little addition we steal your heart well till 15 16 anyway:D

I heard you came out to Idaho, I hope your experience was memorable. I need to ride that Trans-Lab. I have never been over there (the east) you've planted the seed so we shall see. I need to ride the New England's your photography has intrigued me

Again, thank you taking me along Oh and I enjoyed your sharing those Picture Tips I have a Nikon D60 so I'll practice some of your tricks.
  14. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    gregor , correct me if i'm wrong, but you're talking about a "timer remote", but using a big scary word like: "intravelometer"... right?

i was looking for the same device a while back for my 20D, and but didn't want to shell out the $130+ for the canon brand item. Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 @ BHphotovideo.com. as i was searching, i found these (basically, the knock-off version of the same thing) on Timer Remote @ ebay.com you'd have to be willing to order off of ebay from a company based outside the US, but...

i'm game if i can save some money on a knockoff brand of something that's essentially an electrical circuit... and spend what i saved on new lenses!

hopefully those links help someone out.
  15. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    gregor, the bike sounded kick ass to me! ha ha!
  16. zoki1

zoki1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap very good RR , and pictures to GASPE , NF, AND LABRADOR ARE PERFECT !!:clap :clap
  17. Drift

Drift n00b

Oddometer:
    I saw that Boxer of yours many years ago... it is in my opinion one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen to date. :tb Do you still have it? I'm sure there is already a pretty long list of people wanting it if it ever goes up for sale... but if you don't mind adding my name to that list it will be greatly appreciated... :evil

Loved the RR and as usual... amazing photographs.
  18. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    you wrote: when you park the bike it's best to leave it in gear to keep it from rolling.

i ALWAYS leave my bike in gear when i stop, so when i'm getting off, it doesn't roll. yes, you
    can hold the brake lever, but it's a bit of a stretch on a full size bike.

no idea why some people still follow the MSF rule (which was instituted so students wouldn't get off the bike w/ engine running in gear and pop the clutch, the bike, and themselves..........).

Get on, pull in clutch lever, and start 'er up. faster and less strain on the battery if cold and gearbox oil turned into peanut butter....

in the UK NZ and AUS many people leave their cars in neutral and use the "emergency brake" -- which i wouldn't trust over the gearbox to keep the car from moving on a slope.

great work on the pix; you've got more patience than i do; i carry only a Canon G10 and sometimes a cheaper backup digital............and yeah, those large files are a bitch; no idea why so many amateurs (not referring to you) shoot such large files.....

see my (unfinished) Lake Superior RR

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498475

for some of those, shot only 1600 x 1200. large enough.

and this entire RR was shot with camera set on .8 mp:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/210_8Uvmt#7034_zZEyR

thanks for the inspiration! heading up there this summer.

zigy kaluzny
    GettyImages.com
    R12GS
  19. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Gregor, I appreciate you letting myself and others pick your brain a bit regarding the photography. I have spent a bit of time reviewing the ride report and I was wondering about lenses. I see you had the 24-105, the 24 mm and the 45mm. Was (is) the 24-105 your "main lens"? Some of the pics have amazing use of depth of field, was this accomplished with that lens? I was wondering if it had a wide enough aperature for you as a general lens?
    Thanks again.
    Bill
  20. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 24-105 was the main lens. The "depth of field" or the softer focus background comes from shooting wide open at f4 pretty much all the time. The newer cameras have the ability to go to very high shutter speeds so you can use the wide open apertures even during the day. The other aspect of that is the 5D is a full frame chip and the larger the chip the softer the backgrounds. It's another reason for the "look" of pro images which are often shot on medium or large format systems and the reason why point and shoots lack a lot of "depth".

All lenses are their sharpest in the middle ranges of say f8-f11 and get slightly worse at the higher numbers. The big difference between pro and consumer lenses is how sharp they are wide open with pro lenses being almost as good and consumer lenses being just slightly less so. The 24-105 is an L lens and thus super sharp.

Back to your question of whether the f4 was fast enough. Yes and no. In general it was fine but I also let the camera push the ISO up to 3200 on occasion and the 5D is so good at higher ISO's that, especially for online, you don't really notice. That said I've since sold the lens and bought a 24-70 f2.8 because, while the IS will let you handhold at an 8th or 15th your subject may still be blurry from their own movement. I'm still torn though because I like the 105 way better than 70mm and the Image Stabilization is really amazing but what I really want is a 24-105 f2.8 or f2.0 if I'm dreaming!

For travel work and general use the 24-105 is pretty much perfect.

Gregor