5 up on two bikes or the long way to the Trans Lab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sakurama, Aug 1, 2009.

1. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    Loved following your RR the first time. Great to see the kids! I can't believe how big they are now but, as with my kids, time flies and they grow up so fast ! Be well.
  2. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    so glad this thread got bumped! what a great trip and awesome pics, thoroughly enjoyed it! :freaky

what's the next trip?? :deal
  3. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    Gregor, Kids are growing up so fast. WOW....

Hows everything? Good down this way, I have sold my commercial construction company and am now opening my own motorcycle/atv/snowmobile maintenance and performance shop, and paint and powdercoating shop.

I figure might as well make some money doing what I love!

Keep in touch!
  4. KaiserM715

KaiserM715 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I go to read a build on your house and garage and wind up over here.... Great trip report!
  5. glenbee

glenbee n00b

Oddometer:
    Such an awesome and truly epic ride report.
    I just spent the last 2 days reading.
    Great photography, excellent writing style and really nice to see the updates in the years after.
    If your RR ever did make it into a book format, I'd buy it for sure.
  6. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I'm glad this report still inspires people!

Gregor
  7. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up 2 1/2 hours from Twillingate--I had never been there. I read this report. When I had to return from Texas to Newfoundland for my mother's funeral a while back, I borrowed a vehicle on a rainy day and took a trip to Twillingate for the first time. I spent several hours in a mini-van noodling around some dirt trails along the coast till I found your campsite that over looked the big series of offshore rocks. When I found it the people lounging out of rain under the big awning of their RV got some added entertainment watching me slipping around in the rain with a golf umbrella and a camera on the edge of precipitous drops, trying to get some of the exact same angles you had posted up. If I ever find the camera again I'll post a couple of shots. I've returned permanently to Newfoundland now. I have been to the very tip of the great northern peninsula and have seen the loom of Labrador (well, it was probably Quebec for the quibblers out there--lol) on the horizon--but again I have never been there--yet. You have inspired me to try and get my ducks in a row and do the trans-Lab while there are still dirt stretches left on it. Your RR remains one of my favourites.
  8. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much. With kids and partnering in Velomacchi my riding time has taken a hit to be sure. I think I'd love to be able to one day ride there again with my daughter (and son) so they can see it. They love hearing stories of my adventures and I'm looking forward to sharing them as they get older.

Since it's been a while since I've updated this I'll share this little video from my Instagram and you can see that they both have their own motorcycles so we're off to the good start:

In many ways Oregon reminds me of Newfoundland and our life here is pretty great. Oh and the "No Hands!" - that was my four year old Lucas doing donuts on the beach in my F150. Yeah, Oregon is pretty damn great.

Gregor
  9. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Sojourner 1938-2016 - RIP Dad.

This weekend "Sojourner", my father, passed away.

He was a big part of the ADV community and the BMW community but aside from his five posts here he spent his time on his BMW R100GS PD. He wasn't much for computers. I know many here knew him and I wanted to find a place to offer a goodbye and a thank you. He taught me how to travel and be open to discovery. The very first trip I took on a motorcycle, over 25 or so years ago, was with my father and it was, like every trip we took together, one of the best of my life. We rode through the desert southwest of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and put about 3000 miles on our bikes.

He bought his motorcycle because I'd bought mine a month earlier. He'd ridden a bike when he was younger and I thought perhaps he was buying this bike so we'd still have something to share after I'd finished college. I was very wrong. Riding became his singular passion and every year he was in the top riders of the BMW MOA milage contest. His BMW R100GS PD has close to 300,000 miles on it and is about as worn out a bike as I could ever hope to inherit. We did a few other trips and they will be memories that I will cherish forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not quite done crying yet but we're going to honor his memory this week by taking the family on their first big road trip. I'm going to follow some of the roads we rode and visit some of the places we stopped and tell the kids stories of their grandfather. When they're older we'll ride the same roads again on bikes.

If you knew my father, met him at a rally or just on the backroads somewhere, please have a drink in his memory with me this weekend. Anyone from Colorado that would like to come to the service please send me a pm.

Thanks Dad, for riding with me all these years.

Gregor
    Dracula, rainmaker8, kojack and 4 others like this.
  10. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    Strongs my man! I'm suddenly sad I never met him.

Go well,

May he rest easy.
  11. beachz

beachz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gregor, so very sorry for your loss.
  12. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    peace and love.

john
  13. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    May you and your family find peace, RIP Sojourner
  14. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    Sorry also for the loss of your dad. Sure he had a good life and his spirit will be with you,especially when you ride.
  15. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry for your loss... :(:
  16. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:

You did well by him!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  17. x1valin1x

x1valin1x tommy

Oddometer:
    So Lucky that I got to meet him. He won't be forgotten! He will be with us all, on every adventure we take.
  18. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That pic... that pic right there, breaks my heart.

I know from experience that there are no words in any language that can stop the pain of not having your dad by your side. But, for what its worth you have my absolute deepest condolences and best wishes.
    kojack likes this.
  19. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    My deepest condolences

A firm virtual man-hug headed that way. I wish I could say that I do not know the pain of losing an especially close loved one but I do :cry

Glad to know that you two enjoyed many great moments together
  20. yankee

yankee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on this Awesome ride. On my plans with the exact route on a Land Rover Defender with family of 4 and then again on a GSA 2 up. Just the starting point is middle of Long Island. Very cool!

Just finished up the posts. Sorry for your loss. Very touching and emotional thread this one.