5 up on two bikes or the long way to the Trans Lab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sakurama, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Gregor.....stay strong and take care. Kelly and I still talk about when you guys came to town!
  2. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your father sounds like an amazing person that knew how to live life, and lived it to it's fullest. Nothing but time will heal, and even then it won't. I am sure he will be watching over you and your family every step of the way.

Sorry for your loss.
  3. Onward

Onward Title Here

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss.
  4. kojack

Oddometer:
    That last picture is special Gregor. My dad broke his collar bone on a Suzuki DS80 one time, it prevented us from having motorcycles for years. When I was 14 I finally talked him into buying me an xr100. And the love affair began. He then bought a a Vulcan 800. rode it twice, figured out it was not for him and I sold it to get my Harley. I would love to have had a few road trips with him. But we spent 1000s upon 1000s of miles on snowmobiles together.

From doing multi hundred mile rides in a day to me beating his ass in races every time since I tuned my sleds. we had a ball! looks like you are your dad did too!

Like I said in my PM....come on up, you just got to get here. We will take care of the rest!
  5. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished this RR for the 3rd time.

110% in all departments. Great job. Thank you so very much.

Ben.
  6. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Great RR... Thanks for sharing this adventure and spectacular photos.
    Two bikes two up... that is really something on dirt.
    Gregor my condolences on your Father passing.
    I am leaving in 2 days for Nova Scotia to visit my family in Halifax then up the west coast of Nfld.
    Don't know how I missed this RR years ago... all the best.

John
  7. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. It was a great trip and now with kids one of the last big trips I've had the chance to take. I am still riding but not as much adventure - mostly dirt. I do have a trip to Alaska planned next week but it's more work than pleasure - although it will be a pleasure I'm sure.

To keep going on adventures I've built a 4x4 van and we take the kids out in that. Of course there's a build thread...

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...tle-100-Satisfaction-Guaranteed-MG-Coil-Build

I'm glad that this story continues to resonate.

Gregor
    Steve Glenn likes this.
  8. kojack

Oddometer:
    Hey Gregor,

They banned me over there because I said something about politics in the off topic lounge. oppps. I have to go see the van, I'm sure ITS AWESOME! How's the family doing?
  9. Steve Glenn

Steve Glenn Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the best ride reports ever!
    Folly1 likes this.
  10. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guys could have been better looking, but the women were 10+.
  11. roberts

roberts GS'er

Oddometer:
    Gregor,

I found your trip report just a few days ago, so I have a lot to catch up on. I am very sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Something about him seemed familiar, and I finally realized what it was. I met him at the Sipapu, NM BMW rally in 2003. I took a photo of his GS, but unfortunately not one of him. He was one of those rare people you can meet one time, but never forget. I think he said that he was working at a ski resort, Keystone or Vail maybe? I remember enjoying visiting with him. Here is one of the photos I took of his bike.

GSer (Robert)

[​IMG]

12. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    The depth of ADVrider is staggering... well put.
    I have to agree. You never know what you'll find until you go looking for it. I was looking for posts about Labrador and came across this one. What an enjoyable read, terrific photos, and an inspiring way to look at travel.
    Luckily, things in Canada, particularly government, move slowly and the TLH is still not completely paved. I'm going to try my luck out there in the summer of 2019.
    Thank you for sharing your journey.
  13. sakurama

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy that this thread still surfaces every once in a while. While so much has transpired in my life and my family we still love to hit the road and adventure. I'm looking forward to the day when I can take the kids with me on a bike but for now we're going to continue to explore with the same sense of openness to adventure that I learned from my father and that we shared on this trip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm still riding and building bikes - that won't ever change.

[​IMG]

Gregor
  14. kojack

Oddometer:
    Wow. The kids are growing up so fast buddy. It’s crazy that You guys were traveling with your daughter on the bike up here and now look at her. My boy is 12 now. He was a baby when you were here with us.
  15. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read this report shortly after my own Trans Lab ride....and this pic is the one that always sticks out to me when I think of it. Classic....
  16. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I always re read some of my favorites.

I've seen a few pics of that intriguing BMW Adv bike ( HP2 type Rally Replica Halenda style)... looks awesome. You combine a unique combination of form and function where the styling and purpose are both exceptional.

I met you up in Portland years ago ( stalked you) to see the 2x2 KTM Adventure. Beautiful bike. And greatly appreciated your graciousness with your time.

I'm racing a deadline to try and enter my feature doc into the Portland Moto Film Fest. Hope I get accepted and if so another chance to make it up to Portland to say hi.

Happy Holidays and Family days.
  17. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know the feeling. My father was by far the best man I ever knew. He passed almost 20 years ago and I still think about him. Every day.

But there is also rebirth as in your great kids! They've grown up so much! My gosh!

I just hopped onto ADVRider just for a quick refresh after years of not being on here... 2:30am and trying to get work done... Two hours later, I'm reading all your updates! A great story-teller and the photography is second to none. It's why I moved to New York: To become the fashion photographer I want to be. I LOVE NY!!!

So you moved to Oregon about the same time I moved to New York. Haha! Oregon is just stunning. Portland. Crater Lake. And everything in-between. Totally different vibe. The van conversion is awesome. My family had a similar model but simply used to transport a family of 7. Thing was a tank but comfortable. Many road trips from San Francisco to Los Angeles with the whole family.

Just followed you on IG!

Be well!

Ricardo

Attached Files:

sakurama likes this.
  18. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Hi Ricardo,

Yes, so many changes in my life and yet motorcycles and family are still central. More so now than ever. Although I'm not riding as much as I used to I am building even more than before. This year is going to be an interesting one as I begin my most ambitious endeavor ever and try to convert my fathers expired and tired R100GSPD into the most amazing adventure bike ever.

Stay tuned! And good luck in NYC. It's the best and worst of everything in one place and certainly the place to be if you want to shoot fashion. I still have a studio there, in Bushwick, and return for work every few months. Maybe I'll catch you at Gino's restaurant! I go every time I'm back there.

Gregor
  19. caliform

caliform Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So good chatting with you at the One show! (and what a cool bike!)

As I mentioned this RR is what led me to follow ya. Hope you have many more an adventure.
    sakurama likes this.