5 up on two bikes or the long way to the Trans Lab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sakurama, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Rollin

Rollin Go.

Oddometer:
    Life well lived is always good to see.

:freaky

Have fun!

R-
  2. britbiker

britbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wonderful! :clap :clap
  3. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    If it were really a dream the bike would be adding bolts not shedding them. So far however I would take it and bring along a big bag of bolts and keep going...

Thanks guys for the RR.

Coop
  4. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    This report is done from sea. Our ferry has wifi!

It dawned a nice day today and it took a while to pack not because we didn't have our system down (we do now - to a tee) but because loading our bikes this morning brought a group of locals out to chat with us about our trip. I didn't give Mary's Harbour much thought when I planned the trip, I just wanted to split up our first big dirt road day, but it turned out to be another highlight and perhaps the friendliest town we've encountered all trip.

In the morning Keith came back by and took us to his uncles store where they opened up the gas pump for us. We filled up and hit the road.

Yesterday we had gravel and sand mixed in a soupy cocktail but today we added washboard which would studder the bike right into the gravel. We adjusted. Then we got 40mph cross winds which, as you might imagine, completely sucked. All of that mixed was nerve wracking and each gust would push the bike into the gravel where it would then plow with the bars going slack in your hands and you'd be at the winds mercy as you plowed, quite literally, toward the edge. Stressful.

Something we've learned about the people of Labrador is that, "the road is always better just up the road..." We heard that every time we took off our helmets.

We rolled into Port Hope Simpson just 25 miles later and something happened that has never happened in my entire motorcycling life and I even hesitate to post it here for fear of the traffic it might generate. A beautiful young girl came out of the store and walked up to our bikes smiling and said, "Hi there! Would you like me to fill up your bikes for you?"

I swear to god.

And because I know you wouldn't believe me I took pictures of Cindy filling up the big 950 - and she didn't spill a drop!

[​IMG]

She's studying molecular biology or something equally over my head and helping out in the family store for the summer. I suspect that Labrador may want to brace for a surge in Adventure Rider traffic now.

I bit farther down the road Gino and I were riding side by side so as to not eat each others dust and I noticed his slow leaking front tire was down to around 24lbs or so (stupid that I can SEE that isn't it?) and I realized it was doing a really good job on the gravel and a light went off. My stupid tires were set to 36 and 40 in the back - what was I thinking? We pulled over and set about lowering the pressure to 24 front and 28 rear.

But not before we were swarmed by black flies. Holy cow!

[​IMG]

I had seen these mosquito net hats at EMS and bought them more as a joke thinking we'd never actually use them. How wrong I was - how very, very wrong. Gino wondered if it was possible to be killed by black flies, "But no! Seriously, they could suck all your blood and you'd die!"

After lowering the pressure (something I should have thought to do the first day) the bike handled absolutely perfect. The road improved and Gino and I got into a serious groove and finally started using sixth gear. We felt completely comfortable on the road for the first time.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6042138&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6042138&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6042138">Untitled</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2122740">Gregor Halenda</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

We made good time and as we approached Cartwright it started to rain which actually was nice as it cut the dust down. It would have been nicer had it rained lightly and stopped but we only had to deal with it for about 15 - 20 minutes. The bikes are dirty in a way I've never really seen - there's a slurry of dust and mud that has permeated everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the ferry it was pouring rain and we decided to be the New Yorkers we are and rode around the line and right into the ferry. I'd have gladly waited in line if I was warm and dry in a car but that wasn't the case and the crew was very understanding. Once on board we sat for about an hour as the trucks loaded and the sun began to break in the west. I headed up to the top deck and shot this 180° panorama of the bay at Cartwright.

[​IMG]

We didn't get bunks for this ferry so we were making ourselves home in the reclining chairs when my name was called to the pursers office. We just got the very last room on the ship! I'll post that once we actually move in but right now we have to claim our prize.
  5. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Okay, last update before we head to the bar and turn in for the night. We got a room! This is huge as it means we'll be able to sleep tonight and arrive fresh, rested and showered for our first true day of the Trans Lab. Being New Yorkers it's not often that you're impressed with how small a room is but this is pretty compact, err, cozy! Yeah, that's what we're talking about. Cozy.

[​IMG]

Good night and we'll check in the next time we find some wireless.

Oh, and one last parting video for the night. I'll preface this by saying that Gino is Italian and grew up wheelying a vespa and this road is closed and no animals were harmed during the making of this clip. Do not try this at home unless you have a really, really big home.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6043202&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6043202&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6043202">Untitled</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2122740">Gregor Halenda</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Did I mention we have the worlds coolest girlfriends?
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. This thread is absolutely awesome..can't wait to see more...
  7. Wildabeast

Wildabeast Wide Open

Oddometer:
    Inspiring! Many thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Your grand route has bypassed the state of Vermont! What could I say that would convince you all of a visit?

Ciao Ciao!
  8. fastredbike

fastredbike locked-down tight

Oddometer:
    you all fit together to make a great team, and are clearly having a great time no matter what comes at you.
    Did I get that right that you are shooting all your video with your DSLRs? If so, a side thread on housings and mounts for gear that big would be good.
    I'm planning to start getting the video side of things down and I'm interested in what's working - whatever your rig is, it's working.
    Ride safe!
    d
  9. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    This just a fantastic RR ! The pictures are great but more amazing.... all 4 of you are always smiling and seem to be having such a great time. God speed to you all and keep up the great posts !:clap
  10. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    OH MY..!!!:tb

Very nice pics and fun report, pretty girls, sweet bikes, ah yes.

Thanks for posting...

[​IMG]
  11. Badger278

Badger278 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gregor...I think I love her. Please tell me that you invited her to come to NYC...
  12. french horn

french horn Just Add venture

Oddometer:
    She's not wearing a ring !:clap:clap:clap:clap
  13. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    ......looks allot like Julia Roberts :clap:lol3

I like Julia Roberts :evil
  14. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, Gino is Italian, handsome, funny, got a gorgeous girl (as you both have)and can wheelie. Why don't I hate him? Bastardos.:rogue
  15. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, great report & pics..:freaky
  16. Sudzz

Sudzz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's all been said before but I'll say it again...Great RR, fantastic photos and awesome videos!!! You all look like you're having a great time.

Please tell Gino that the video of him turning the country gadget into a city one had me in tears I was laughing so hard! He's a funny guy.

Looking forward to more updates!!!!:clap
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it

Oddometer:
    She rides a KLR. Seriously.

Her's is on the right.

[​IMG]

John
  18. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

unbelievable photography :huh :thumb and beautiful ladies :evil :D

keep it coming!

:lurk
  19. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!
  20. squallywally

squallywally Sad Sack

Oddometer:
    Canon 5d mark II has been on my short list to buy. This thread has moved it to the top.

thanks for the great shots and sharing your fun with the rest of us.