$500+ gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Callisto224, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another advantage of a dedicated GPS over a phone, at least my BB, is the way the Garmin GPS software works...if it can't get a data phone connection it is pretty much useless. So, on my trip to AK in June, which I understand has many places where cell phone connection is sparse, it would be problematic, although I have maps, lol. Not to mention data plan usage in Canada could be highly expensive if not carefully planned ;). Read "turn off the data portion"!
  2. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    Any good phone navigation software will download maps in advance.
  3. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys getting your Zumo's so cheap? The 660's on ebay are $650-up.
  4. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waterproof is really a feature that a GPS should have. Still not quite sold on the expensive zumo's though. Maybe Dan can get us all a discount!

Please tell us where. Everywhere I've looked they start at $600. and go up from there.
  5. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I buy the cheapest wide screen Nuvi I can get and treat it as a short term proposition (approx 2 years expectation). In South Africa you can buy 5 cheap Nuvis for the price of a Zumo and they are much much more likely to be discounted.

From what I saw from some friends' Zumos my feeling is that for extensive dirt road travelling they were not as robust as I expected. I've not seen 1 that lasted more than 2 years without needing warrentee work/replacement. Maybe they are just not good at looking after their stuff :rofl

I do not use any waterproofing for the cheaper Nuvis, behind an Adventure screen they seem to remain pretty dry, as long as you keep moving.

I think almost every possible Q is answered in the Layin' down tracks forum. Some knowledgeable people over there.

Bill
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off of CL, brand new. $240. It might've fallen off the back of a truck. I love it.
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nobody said anything about a 276/376 ?
  8. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    Tracks and bluetooth directions are really the major reasons for an upgrade IMHO. My Nuvi is waterproofed by Ziplock :D I also have Nav on the phone which I consider a backup. The Zumo price diff has been too great for me, but with the references to deep discounts, I'm poking around....
  9. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    I think it's worth repeating: Nuvi 500/550s are waterproof. Zumos are not the only waterproof touch-screen GPSs available from Garmin.
  10. GSGUY70

GSGUY70 Polish Power

Oddometer:
    Got a Nuvi 765T works great 4.3 inch screen, used mini USB to power, got RAM guard for it, all under 200 bucks !
  11. drbike

drbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am with transrider, have a Zumo and Cardo....dead simple to setup, easy to use, works with gloves and its lasted for over 60,000 miles of abuse.

On my KLR I decided to save a buck....got a cheap Nuvi, made a great little mount with isolators, rain cover and all. It looked the part but in less than 10,000 km it was toast. The Zumo is well designed for on bike use. The Zumo is often available at discount do a little looking.
  12. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I am better suited for a Goldwing, but on long pulls I really like the XM Radio and the weather radar offered on my 665. Bought it NIB off of fleabay for under $700. Pricey...yeah, maybe. Functional...damn straight.

As if it will be the "worst" purchase feeding my two wheel habit in 2011! :rofl
  13. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    *sigh* Despite what I said about the Streetpilot 2720 being wonderful, you 665 folks are tempting me with the total phone integration and XM Weather. Particularly as I'm riding to Vancouver in a week and it's still snowing en route. :eek1
  14. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my 60csx since they were introduced and love it. I transfer and use it on my bikes and it has proved to be a great GPS for street or dirt. It even guided me on my 4 corners USA ride last summer. For music I used a Sena SMH10 and listened to music from my iPhone wired for charging in my saddlebag. I finally decided though that I wanted a larger touchscreen GPS with XM music, XM weather and traffic, and bluetooth capability in a motorcycle friendly package. That led me to the Garmin 665. It is not as customizable as the 60 or 2610 I had previously but it is dead simple to set up and works great. I will never get rid of my Garmin 60 but for what I want in a street package, the 665 beats it hands down. Just my 2 cents.

15. $19.95

$19.95 farkling

Oddometer:
    I bought a Zumo 660 for the sole reason of being able to route music and directions to my Bluetooth helmet. If you don't need that feature, you can save a pile of cash by buying a Nuvi.

There are other benefits to the Zumo, but they are not worth the 2-3x price difference.
  16. duescoup

duescoup Bob's Liver

Oddometer:
    This must be that ATGATT I keep reading about.
  17. McFuryMcNugget

McFuryMcNugget me specie in dea ist

Oddometer:
    Hi there.

Well i live in Iceland Its cold and winter is long and we get more rain & wind then most.

I got me the 276c only for the feature on being waterproof and simple

And if your planning trips outside you country its open for that option.

I have 2 maps Iceland & Europe maps and its good when you lost euro zone shopping or other activitys.

many options for geting power to it perminate and other ways.

I use it on my ATV as well in the winter and it has 3 years of use and still ging strong i recommend it

McFury.
  18. MaineRunner

MaineRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Too much information...:huh
  19. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 nuvi 500 It works perfect for me. I don't listen to music when I ride and I sure as hell am not making phone calls while riding, I ride to get away from that crap.
  20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :nod

I have been really happy with my Nuvi 500 for street riding. I think I could make it work for tracks by converting them to routes, but I have a 60Cx for tracks.

I got my refurb unit for 150 bucks, maybe another 50 for mount+ hard wire cord.