$500+ gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Callisto224, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Tbird have you tried calculated routes to direct routes in WinGDB3? It works like a charm in my 550 acts almost exactly like following a track.
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Honestly - no. I have been able to get all of my custom routing needs taken care of with autorouting :dunno

I did play with WinGDB3 when I first got it and did some converting of tracks to direct routes. I know you mean taking a calculated route and changing it to a direct route though.
  3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

Yes, that is what I mean. Option #13 in WinGDB3.
  4. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    I use a $60 TomTom on my GSA. Does everything I need, including 'loading complex routes from the computer' as a previous poster asked. In fact, that's how I plan all my rides: set them up in Google maps, transfer to TomTom.

It was stolen last year in Kansas. After cooling down, I hit Craigslist and bough a replacement for $60 from a guy in Denver the next day. Downloaded my routes from Google Docs into the new TomTom, and I was good to go again. The cooling down period would have been a lot longer if my GPS had been a $600 motorcycle-specific one :-)

Does NOT do (and I don't want or need):
    - music
    - act as a speakerphone
    - off-road tracks

Also as stated earlier, this model (like most non-motorcycle models) is not waterproof. Not really an issue so far. I carry a ziplock for that, but I've found that as long as I keep moving the GSA screen diverts rain etc. away from it anyway.

I usually spring for more expensive stuff if it works better than the cheap stuff (I ride a GSA after all :-) ), but in the case of a motorcycle GPS I don't see the point.