500 lbs of V-twin trials fun...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by inte, Sep 9, 2006.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    It's been a wild few days.

Many of you know the saga that my 950 went through in recent (& not so recent) months. Well the saga ended with a new motor, then began again with the motor dying, then ended again when they figured out it was a loose connection, then began again when I tried to do a quick ride yesterday with DirtyVFR & the bike died ... twice ... then ended again when I traced the problem to the fuel pump & replaced it.

The fuel pump issue only surfaced off-road. Smooth roads didn't seem to affect it, but the moment the going got rough ... fuel flow ceased. Wanting to get some riding in I replaced the fuel pump the same day (3 Bros had it in stock!!! :clap), did a 10 mile road test - no problem... but needed to be sure ... needed to get the bike offroad.

ErrinV had just purchased a new trials bike & wanted to get some riding in ... I figured might as well load up the Gas Gas & 950 & head out to the local(ish) trials practice area. G.Kennedy showed up on his Beta & added to the fun!

Time flies when you're doing this, before we knew it we'd been riding nearly 4 hours & it was time to split.

ErrinV on his freeking beautiful '06 Gas Gas 280 Pro:

[​IMG]

I had to split, so I loaded up the Gas Gas & got a test run in on the 950 ... decided to just cover some familiar terrain from earlier in the day ... :D

[​IMG]

1 cylinder:

[​IMG]

2 cylinders:

[​IMG]

Tools:

[​IMG]

This was a great object lesson in something I've held to regarding which bikes to own ... if money is no object, the answer of course is "one of each". For most of us this isn't the case, so IMO I think the trials bike & 950 pretty much cover it. Serious technical "truck-out-for-the-day" type desert riding is out, but for much of everything else, the skills from the trials can transfer over pretty well to the big bikes ... & then you can jump on the freeway & head home :D

[​IMG]

Rider's perspective ... just keep the throttle steady & the front wheel stays light over the whole deal (forks from Precision Concepts really don't hurt to have when you touch down on the other side either :D :thumb):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Thanks to G.Kennedy & ErrinV for these pics.)

SO... the 950 seemed to do fine in the rough stuff with the new fuel pump ... tomorrow I'll be trying to head out over Saddleback with DirtyVFR again in the morning ... in the hopes (expectation) that the 950 will keep running the entire time.

DV might even have a map taped to his car again when I roll up :D

[​IMG]

ErrinV has more pics from today on his camera I believe ... some hill climbing & descending fun if I remember right :evil...

RE: tomorrow's ride: any takers? PM me & I'll check my messages in the AM. Planning on rolling up to the Maple Springs gate at Saddleback around 9:30-9:45 am-ish...
  2. inte

Oddometer:
    Had to head out to pick up a couple bikes for NRE next weekend, it was a well-stocked ride home. The Gas Gas seemed to hold up fine amidst all the KTM rallyness surrounding it.

[​IMG]
  3. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    I was wondering why you had the trailer and an empty truck. Going to have to meet up and ride one of those 640s with you one of these days. :evil
  4. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    NICE!
    :clap
  5. inte

Oddometer:
    Oh ... they ain't mine by any means ... just helping transport them out to NRE.
  6. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Having just picked up my Gas Gas I'd been itching to ride it. Ain't she a purdy.

[​IMG]

Inte was kind enough to ride with me last week and today we did it again along with G. Kennedy.

The staging area. You never have to leave sight of your truck. Rocks everywhere. That's Inte riding the "small" stuff in the distance.

[​IMG]

Inte warming up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So then Inte says "Hey I've found a small rock to practice on. It's only about oh, I don't know, as tall as you?" :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

G. Kennedy taking the "easy" line, which was not easy.

[​IMG]

Then we went to play on the sandy hill. Pictures flatten it out, blah, blah, blah. This thing was steep and loose.

Coming down is fun.

[​IMG]

But going up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun was had on the sand hill, but it was time to look for more challenges. Inte came, he saw, and he kicked this rock's ass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are all of my pics. Thanks to Inte and G. Kennedy for the ride today. Inte had both G. and I doing stuff that we hadn't done before. At one point, trying to follow Inte, G. Kennedy and I both had to ride up a really steep dirt embankment, we did it the same time and when we got to the top looked at each in disbelief. It was pretty funny.

Next week Lucerne for my first event!
  7. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    That's Sick!

You guys rock!!!

as usuall.......
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice action :thumb
  9. kj106

kj106 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gutsy to do rocks with a heavy bike, but more impressive is that you did it with seemingly full tire pressure and not the 5# psi that a trials bike uses. Very impressive.
  10. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Very cool! That looks like a blast.:thumbup
  11. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. inte

Oddometer:
    The trials bikes run 6psi front, 4psi rear, in pretty much everything (you can vary that by .5-1lb depending on the conditions). The 950 runs 30-32 psi front/rear in everything. All that weight pushing down gives you enough traction in pretty much anything except maybe mud.

West of there, near Lake Matthews. Closer to the 15 freeway than the 215 off Calajaco.
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    ErrinV,
    Who makes the pants, that you're wearing, in this shot?

Thanks, Dave.
  14. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are insane. :bow

What's one of those cost used?
  15. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

Hey Ken :wave Looks like the GS will be sold by the end of the month.
  16. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

They are the Thor Ride pants. They are not trials pants if that's what you're looking for. They are water proof but they are kinda warm in the 90-100 degree heat we were riding in.
  17. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Inte, you're crazy. I like you.

:lol3
  18. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, nice riding with you. Fun Stuff. I definatley cleaned a few things that were steeper than anything I have ever tried.

Thanks for the tips inte, and thanks for the test ride on the '06 ErrinV.

Lucerne next weekend !!!!
  19. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
    Sweetness!! Trials riding kicks ass! Sure like that new ride Errin. Good luck at your first event next weekend, Cougar Buttes eh?
  20. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear them but in black!!:D

Excellent stuff guys!!