~500cc bike recommendation

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dungspreader

dungspreader King of the Heap

Oddometer:
    How about a Royal Enfield Bullet ?
    Single cylinder 500 cc ,some of them have a disc brake , definitely an upright seating position ,kickstart as well .
    Ah but you mentioned reliable didn't you , mmn well you can't have everything !
    You might find a well sorted used one at a giveaway price though .
    And there's lots of help and information on line .

Dungspreader
  2. AusieRob

AusieRob Just Gas It!!

Oddometer:
    I had an Yamaha XT500C - the first of bread for this engine (same engine as the SR). Great engine, bullet proof for me.

After seeing a write up on doing the valves on Yamaha WR450 this becomes a criteria for my future bikes choice as well. Mann, what a pain in the ass.... Yeah you only have to check it a 4th the time and adjust even less but at sometime you have to do it.... Geez disassembling all the valve gear and shim kits - no thanks.. :flip

Thankfully all my current bikes (2 KTM & BMW) have the ancient old screw valve adjustments. :bmwrider
  3. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    BSA B50.

I can make you a deal . . . .
  4. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

What an awful list of consolation prizes to a guy who wants a 500cc SINGLE.
  5. SIKLR250

SIKLR250 NYC

Oddometer:
    That's O.K. I still appreciate everyone's responses. I must say that ADVrider is the most useful (and friendly) motorcycle discussion group that I've found so far.

I must also say that I am quite enamored with the SR500. :norton Could it be my dream bike?

There is a nice one on eBay...
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    smart about the brake upgrade, all will need this for street.
    pads, SS lines, rotor, doesnt have to cost a lot if you shop & your cheap.

the HD/armstrong is a cool bike but you do not want a left hand big bore kicker only. unless your a masocist, try it before you buy, its a MF
  7. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer:
    You can't go wrong with any of the Yammie 500s. I've had several SR500s and now have an XT500 and they are sweet!

They are getting old though, so be sure to check any bike over for rust inside the tank and rubber grommets, seat, and brake line deterioration caused by weathering.

You can get parts from this site http://www.thumperstuff.com/parts.html.
    Mark is a really nice guy and will help you out with questions.

Best of luck!! :1drink
  8. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, unless you meant dual sport when you said "streetbike", the SR500 is the ONLY bike that fits the description in your post. Brit singles aren't reliable enough for what you said you want, and I can't think of any other kick only 500cc single streetbikes. It better be your dream bike, 'cause I think it's all you got. If you include dual sports, then I suppose there's the XL500 Hondas too. I'm pretty sure the GB500 was electric start.
  9. dirty dave

dirty dave Banned

Oddometer:
    ive got a euro only smr570. needs a little tlc. head gasket leaks,and muffler needs re-packing. kick start only(on the left side) street legal with wisconsin title. the speedo is in km. fast as all hell. 6 speed. 5 inch rear rim. brembo brakes. $2000 the bike runs great just a little leak from the head. hell ill even buy the gasket.... oh yeah its scott russels old bike if that means anything to ya
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    SR's are sweet. If you can do a dual sport, the XL600R Honda was kick only. Should be around your price range.
    '89 or '90 Honda GB500 is a sweet ride. Electric AND kick. They are rare and go for WAY more than you want to spend though.
  11. SIKLR250

SIKLR250 NYC

Oddometer:
    Do the XL500/600 Hondas have screw/locknut valve clearance adjusters or the bucket and shim type?
  12. dirty dave

dirty dave Banned

Oddometer:
    the husky has screw locknut valve adjustment. 10 minute valve adjustments.
  13. Bad Hand

Bad Hand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you want a single, but if you happen on a decent Yamaha XS650, give it good look. I have two 81 Specials and love em. E & kick start, fairly light and nimble, and owner friendly maintenance. Also Mikes XS has most any part you might need. Great around town, and with a little wind protection and a lot better seat, not a bad touring bike. Happy hunting............
  14. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '80 that I'm "un-specialing". They're great if you want a vintage type of motorcycle (i.e. something that shakes a lot). For touring it'll never be anywhere near as good as my DR650 no matter what I do, and it doesn't come with any dirt ability. I've never toured on an SR500 so maybe it's better than that. It feels a lot heavier than an SR500. On the plus side it does shake like an old single with it's 360 crank and no counterbalancer. The engine's got a good feel to me for a flattrack kind of bike, that's why I bought one. I think it will be a fun bike eventually.
  15. ace

ace Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    The "fast" one
    [​IMG]

Saw one of these in SantaFe
    [​IMG]

I like this baby
    [​IMG]

I dont know if it gets any cheaper than this one...$3750
    [​IMG]

17. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Oh my goodness those are awesome!!
  18. goblin

goblin pig rider

Oddometer:
    They have screw type adjusters.
  19. SIKLR250

SIKLR250 NYC

Oddometer:
    I liked the idea of the Royal Enfield, but I checked out several at a local dealer and found the build quality/fit and finish to be quite poor. I rather take my chances on a solid, older bike than a new piece of crap.
  20. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Enfields I've ridden had decent fit/finish, but they are not reliable. One of them died inexplicably on a test ride with plenty of fuel and I had to push it back to the dealer. It may be brand new, but it's still a 1955 motorcycle. A 1955 BRITISH motorcycle. They are also very slow compared to a modern single. Even in 1955 I bet people probably laughed at the model name "bullet". I think maybe it was an ironic nickname, like calling a bald guy "curly".