$55 GE RPWFE water filter? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by FTL900, Apr 24, 2018.

1. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    If you don't have these really expensive $55 water filters in your refrigerator, you won't really care about any of this.

My girlfriend bought this really nice expensive GE fridge not knowing the water filters are $55, and of course they don't mention the nag screen that comes on every 6 months sharp... regardless of how much water you use.

Removing and replacing the filter won't help. The more common $10 RPWF filter will "fit" but it won't work- the refrigerator insists there's no filter installed. That's because the more expensive filter has an RFID tag that requires a new expensive filter to get the nag screen to go away... every 6 months.
    So I hacked our fridge. :clap

Instructions here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eLD8fXupD0QpCyUCJ6E3U_p5IYezwpX/view?usp=sharing
    Cromoth, R100PDave and CodeMonkee like this.
  2. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may still want to change the filter every 6 months because they collect bacteria. If you're on chlorinated city water it may not matter so much though.
  3. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    Fuck GE and there stupid profile refrigerator.
    R100PDave likes this.
  4. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    put a cheap inline filter on the fridge water inlet.

ignore the light.

solved.
    tjzondrz and slideways like this.
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know my fridge had a filter until a water line in the fridge burst one morning because the filter was plugged.

I still haven't gotten around to fixing that...
  6. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Fridge is plumbed into the RO line from the sink. I leave the bypass cap thing in the filter slot in the fridge and just reset the reminder.

No filter change necessary.
  7. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Yup. That's the last sentence, change it in June and December.
  8. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every fridge I've bought (well, two so far) that had the built in water ice and door dispenser and all that shit has leaked. Not one of the connectors anywhere on the fridge is anything standard, and they both had the custom filter bullshit as well. I'll not buy another. Current fridge is a cheap ass no frills one, and I use ice cube trays. Zero problems in six years.

I'm sure they just figured out it was an easy revenue stream from yuppies that want the fancy fridges and can afford the filters.
    shores likes this.
  9. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Q-bald

Oddometer:
    I buy filters for my Samsung on amazon. $50 buys 2.

I’d ignore it but I gave filtered water to the goldfish for months and when I gave it sink water it died. I figure if the filtered water is the difference between life and death for a goldfish I might improve my health by drinking filtered! Apples vs KTMs, I know, but it helps me sleep at night.
  10. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    When I lived in a big city not blessed with abundant cold clear water filling up a water bottle would produce cloudy stinky water
    Run it through a 10 dollar brita filter and it would smell fine and taste amazing
    I've never bought the fancy fridges as ita just more stuff to break
    Fill up the brita or put the tap mountable filter in
    Sky2adam likes this.
  11. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Q-bald

Oddometer:
    The fridge came with the house. Why should I complicate my life??
    FTL900 likes this.
  12. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I guess the installers threw away my bypass gadget. I'm about to perform this same hack. Dirty little secret GE has about these filters. I'll either install an inline external filter (if I have room) or use the cheaper brand of RPWF filters going forward. I can tell when they need to be replaced from the taste and 6 months is too soon.
  13. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Sneaky bastards don't even send them with the fridge. You have to call them, give them the model number, and they'll send you one for free. And of course, it will be back ordered and you'll have to wait a month to get it. Just went through it myself. I installed it myself and knew it wasn't misplaced.
  14. WJBertrand

Oddometer:
    OK, I was reading some information on the internet that made it sound like the fridges were delivered with this bypass in place and you had to replace it with the filter and then keep it. I've half a mind to complain to the FTC about this...
  15. v303x

v303x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same ordeal. Removed bypass, installed filter that came with fridge and 6 months later it shut us off. I was not paying no stinking $50 for a filter that looks like a sex toy!

1. Buy cheap filters on Amazon
    2. Peel off RFID chip from bypass filter
    3. Tape bypass RFID to cheap filter, use location the RFID of used $50 filter as a guide
    4. Set reminder to replace every 6 months or so
    5. Boom!

Yes, you will get the 'Not Filtering' Captain Obvious warning but I am not letting the man put me down.

Cheers,
    David
    WJBertrand likes this.
  16. WJBertrand

Oddometer:
    I think I will try sticking the RFID tag from the bypass inside the housing area for the filter. That way I won't have to mess with it every time I change a filter. I wonder if the message panel can be opened and that particular warning blocked somehow - black tape on the inside? Mine does not have a screen type display, I think there are just backlit cutouts that aren't visible when not illuminated.
  17. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    About 8 years ago I remodeled our kitchen and installed a new GE refrigerator with that filter. When it expired and I found out what an expensive pain in the butt it was I had no choice, I sold the house.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :scratch
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Sense of humor :scratch
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: