590 lm vs. 595 lm ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Silverbird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Silverbird

Silverbird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking to buy either the 590 or the new 595 lm. without owning either it is a bit difficult to tell what the differences are. I am hoping someone who owns one can enlighten me.
  2. Botrunner

Botrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Zumo 595LM appears to have a few features not found on the Zumo 590LM:

Garmin Adventurous Routing™: Yes
    Streaming Spotify® & Pandora® music/media players: yes
    Smart notifications: yes
    LiveTrack: yes
    Compatible with Smartphone Link: yes
    Live traffic and live weather via Smartphone Link app: yes
    Rider alerts: yes
    Helmet Law notifications: yes
    3D Terrain: yes
    offtheback likes this.
  3. Silverbird

Silverbird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $100 or not though.
  4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's already an expensive device, but personally, I think the SmartPhone Link and Spotify would be worth the extra expense. If you're not a smartphone or Spotify user, obviously it'd be less important to you.
    Cuchulainn and Kelvininin like this.
  5. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    Anyone know
    according to Garmin, they both support Smartphone link.
    https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={e63d0370-e830-11e4-c814-000000000000}
    The 590 only supports Pandora, not Spotify though.

Has anyone seen a comparison of Curvy routing vs Adventurous routing? Sounds kinda the same, but maybe it adds in hills to the consideration

What are Rider Alerts? Edit: "with each unit notifying the rider of upcoming sharp corners and animal crossing areas"
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have firsthand experience, just what I saw in the feature list... seems like the 590 already supports Bluetooth, so this _should_ be a software update, however there could be other resource limitations at play (ie. not enough memory or fast enough CPU).
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, talk about distracted driving/riding! I can see how you'd be much safer listening for and or watching your gps screen instead of just paying attention. Alert for every animal crossing, mine would never shut up in our neck of the woods. Now that helmet law notification, there's a feature that I know we all have been waiting for. :baldy

Seems like Garmin is just adding features for features sake and IMHO not improving it over the 590 at all.
    Dvolts, biggziff and Starbuck65 like this.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much par for the course for them...
  9. krosan606

krosan606 n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] As mentioned previously in this post the difference is the Avdendure riding vs curvy road and the Spotify vs no Spotify, also the alert notifications. I don't know how good the adventure riding is but it appears to add 3 slider bars on the adventure riding that curvy road does not have. 1 curvy, 2 hills, and 3, highways. This appears to be the same thing that was in Microsoft streets and trips except it was more of a highway vs arterial road selection and speed vs mpg selection. Not sure how well these slider bars will work and the differences they will make but I've wanted this option ever since garmin GPS were public access. Streets and Trips always seem to auto navigate scenic routes better. Hope this will do the same. As far as Spotify that is self explained. For the alerts I have it for my current garmin and it could get annoying but is nice when traveling uncharted territories and a school zone is ahead. But curvy road ahead would only come in handy where signs are not posted. I have run across some pretty silly roads with 55 mph speed limits and no signs for a blind over the hill 90 degree turn. Although I was able to avoid incident one expects roads to be marked for the most part. My only question is has anyone had any experience with this adventure riding selection yet?

Attached Files:

10. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    How does the 590 handle tracks? How many tracks and how many points? The 595 will handle 100 tracks containing up to 15,000 points each and can display up to 25 tracks on screen at the same time...

I'm thinking about the 595 as a replacement for my 660 and 60csx combo I currently run...
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

sounds more like a $100 crutch than a feature list.
  12. Rbott

Rbott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this on another site,

"The Garmin zumo 590LM can hold 11 tracks. Saved tracklogs on the Garmin zumo 590LM can have up to 250 trackpoints. The active tracklog holds 99999 trackpoints. Track names on the Garmin zumo 590LM can contain up to 30 characters."

Can anyone confirm this......this alone would make me go for the 595lm instead of the 590lm.

Ryan
    offtheback and AL-n2it like this.
  13. bross

Oddometer:
    If your primary riding is off road / forestry roads and mainly using tracks I'd be looking at a Montana and not a Zumo. A Montana can have both City Navigator and Topo maps loaded. You can still use road routing with turn by turn directions in City Navigator but the track handling is way better in the Montana than any of the current Zumos up to the 590, maybe the 595 is finally getting better track handling.

Personally any Zumo is a road bike gps, while a Montana would be my dual sport gps. Check the specs for *any* Zumo and they have "limited" support for topo maps.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Montana as my dual sport gps is my Delorme PN-60 but with Garmin buying Delorme my next dual sport gps will be a Montana.
    ADVwxyz and Tnkrplt like this.
  14. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    Totally depends on what you want out of a GPS. If you don't care about anything other than tracks and routes, with audio directions being provided in mono via a cable, then a Montana is a great option...

However, if you would like bluetooth connectivity (to a phone or helmet cmmunications device), in stereo, the capability to handle more points in a track (Zumo 595LM = 15,000 pts per track vs Montana 680t = 10,000 pts per track), plenty of support for topo maps, plus some other features like traffic camera notifications, text notification, air pressure monitoring, sharp turn warnings, animal crossing warnings, adventurous routing functions, and probably a few others I'm leaving out, then the Zumo 595LM is easily the only choice.

I've researched this quite a bit, and have spoken to Dan Townsley (he field tests pre-released products for Gamrin), of GlobeRiders (a motorcycle Adventure Touring Comany) - DRTBYK on this site. He indicated that based on my combination of riding, BMW R1150RT for road riding, a Husqvarna TE610 for Enduro and Remote Adventure riding, and a Land Rover Discovery II for Overland Adventures on 4 wheels, the Zumo 595LM is the only logical choice.

I have been running a Zumo 660 and a GPS Map 60CSX in tandem for a long time. The Zumo 595LM will do more than than both combined, with the best daylight readable screen of any device Garmin has ever produced.

The 595 LM has some features that I don't really care about, but given the Track capabilities being so much greater than the Zumo 590, for me, it's a simple choice...
    motocopter likes this.
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    And that's why I suggested the 595 *may* be better at track handling, finally. Would appreciate your take on the 595 when you have had a chance to spend some time with it. I have followed GlobeRiders gps info for awhile now, one of the only places to get real world info on a gps and more than "works great" most reviews say.
  16. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    bross, I was pretty convinced I was going to get a Montana to replace the GPSMap 60csx and run it exclusively on the Husky TE610, after ruling out the Monterra, simply because of the fact that the Monterra is a one-off device (using the Android operating system) that will never receive the kind of support necessary to keep it viable for the long run. It had the potential to be an awesome handheld device. Too bad that potential will never be realized.

My initial thought was to just mount a Montana or Monterro on the Husky and just leave it there, rather than move devices between bikes and the Rover. I was leaning toward the Monterra because I've upgraded all my helmets to accept the SENA SHM10 Bluetooth Communications device. But, when I learned more about the limitations of the Monterra, specifically in terms of the lack of support from Garmin to upgrade the Android operating system, I was drawn back to the Montana. I was considering a simple bluetooth module to connect to the audio output on the AMPS mount to bridge the gap to a tether-free setup. Then I learned that the audio output on the AMPS mount is mono - which seems such a waste - but doesn't really matter with the Montana since it doesn't have stereo capabilities anyway, since the same mount was used for the Monterra, which has stereo capabilities. Wires aren't bad on a street bike, but being connected to the bike with a wire when riding technical single track, where my ambition frequently outweighs my talent, and I find myself separated from the bike and laying on the ground, wires are not good and won't last long... It also introduces one more failure point for connectivity. I could have made it work, but there would have been compromises. I would have had to install a bluetooth module to get the turn-by-turn directions from the Montana, and then I would have had to pair my iPhone directly to the SENA to get music and phone function, but I wouldn't be able to see who was calling (I ignore most calls when riding) and the music through the phone would have added to battery use on the phone (I prefer to have my music loaded on the GPS and use the Media Player on it and save the battery on the phone). That's when I started trying to learn more about the Track capabilities of the Zumo 590LM and 595LM.

In the end, after learning about the track handling capabilities of the Zumo 595LM, I've decided that one device can meet all of my needs... No more maintaining map and firmware updates on multiple devices, no more alternate software programs for running those updates depending on the device type, etc. The plan is to sell the Zumo 660 - with lifetime maps - and the Touratech Mount and upgrade to the Zumo 595LM when they become available this spring. I might hold off and see if anyone runs any specials on them - the $900 MSRP is a bit steep... I'll probably keep the GPSMap 60csx as a handheld for off the bike/out of the Rover hiking treks...
  17. Rbott

Rbott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 550 and a Montana 600T. I bought the Montana for off trail snowmobiling/snowbiking and really like the track handling capabilities and the AMPS Mount. The Zumo is much better on the 950 Adventure and in the truck.....

Now that the 595LM has better track handling than the 590LM I will be buying one when they are available!
  18. bross

Oddometer:
    Makes perfect sense, I'm pretty much in the dark ages with my gps's as I hate the prompting so all of them are always muted, never listen to music, and our intercoms are paired so we can talk to each other bike to bike. We rarely use our cell phones anyway, so on the bike don't really care, will just check calls when we stop for a break.

That's why when I saw some of the "features" on the 595 I just wonder "Why?". Seriously, helmet law notification? But I guess to be relevant to a lot of riders they have to pile on the features. I wish they would just make a good feature rich gps with GPS features, leave all the fluff off. I bet they may be surprised how many they could sell.

PS I'd buy your 660 except for it's routing issues with Basecamp.
    Dvolts likes this.
  19. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    Agree... Some of the stuff just doesn't make any sense to me either... For me, I'd simply like the following:

Weatherproof Rugged Case
    A rugged Mount like the AMPS Mount for the Montana/Monterra (with stereo audio support for hardwiring into the Rover audio system)
    Good Daylight Screen Visibility
    Spoken Street Names
    Bluetooth Audio
    MP3/Digital Audio Player
    Support for Shaping Points
    Large Waypoint Limit (4,000 or more)
    Support for Tracks
    Large Track Point Limit (10,000 or more)

I really couldn't care less about many of the features they've included in the 595LM. Helmet Law Notification seems ridiculous to me as well... I always wear all the gear. Animal Crossings - Where I ride, if that was turned on, it would never rest...

I've got my 660 down pretty well and have no problems with basecamp any more. I have Basecamp loaded on a MacBook Air and routes transfer well. I'm hopeful that the interface will continue to be as smooth with a new device.
  20. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    The connector on my NUVI 500 went bad this week. No charge and no computer connectivity. I am looking to upgrade. I go road and off-road. Sometime I mountainbike or hike in unfamiliar places. I tuck the GPS with the screen turned down in my pocket to record tracks. How well would the 590 or 595 work doing this? How long will the battery last with screen off? I have been looking at the Montana 600 and would just need street maps. I have TOPO 100 on DvD. The Montana would work for me but I like the idea of different navigation setting like curvy road. Anything to help find the gravel and tiny roads will help. The NUVI 500 will avoid some roads I like even when set to shortest path. And the NUVI has a selection to avoid gravel roads. It has been a good GPS. I have had it for so long I can't remember. I know I paid $205 on Amazon then it got popular and the price shot up. I also have lifetime maps. Guess its life is over.

Just started my research and will use my iPhone on the road until I upgrade.
    MTBRALPH likes this.