590 lm vs. 595 lm ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Silverbird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    For your use, I'd stick with an outdoor gps like the Montana, which has a 16-20 hr battery life. The Zumo's are NOT pocket gps's size wise, and with a battery life of 3-4 hours are going to be dead before you get back to where you need to be.
  2. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks. A Zumo is temping. I need to go over to a Montana thread and see what it will do.

Some of the feature for road on the NUVI 500 are not on the Montana. The 590 for full bore or 660 to save money may be the way I go. For now I have a mount for my iPhone 6. I'll get a stylus.
  3. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one feature I would like is if you can actually read the damn thing in sunlight. My Zumo 660 is hard to read even with a sunshade.
  4. ardabehen

ardabehen n00b

Oddometer:
    do you know is there a difference between 590 and 595's hardwares?
  5. branchen

branchen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    595LM has a transflective display (I read in the specifications).
    This could make a huge difference in the sunlight, and in my opinion is a major "plus" of the 595LM.
  6. porterrad

porterrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a 590 & 595. Both have trans-reflective screens. If there was a difference between the screens, I couldn't see it.
    motocopter likes this.
  7. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a 595 for a while now, but I was coming from a 276c, so I can't tell the differences between the 590 and this. However, I've found some great things about the 595 I think are worth mentioning.

1. With a microSD card installed, I have loaded free topo maps from the interwebs to my unit and am able to switch back and forth between them like I did on the 276c. Turn maps on and off and it shows them in "layers." I haven't figured out if you can adjust the order of the layers, but I routed to the garmin maps and turned them off and the route stayed overlayed like on the 276c. So it appears that you can navigate by a map you're not looking at- so long as you create the route first, then turn off the map layer.

2. There are three navigation modes from the "home" screen, indicated by a vehicle along the top bar. You can adjust the setting for each type and it remembers them. For car, set "fastest time," for motorcycle, set "adventurous route," and then there's "off road" and it remembers everything you've set up for each type. This is handy because you don't actually have to change your settings if you want to do something different. Just go to the home screen and change your navigation mode. The "adventurous" routing is great when you're not in an urban area. My experience is that it takes you on all the small streets in town, even though most of us want to get the hell out of town before it starts sending us down the small curvy roads. So use the car setting to get out of town (fastest route) then once out of the urban area, just switch to the motorcycle setting and the GPS automatically recalculates the route to adventurous routing.

3. This is apparently an update from the 6xx series. While navigating a route with multiple waypoints in it, touching the top navigation bar will open a window with all the route directions in it. Scrolling down, you can find that each leg, between the waypoints, is in a separate section, and each section carries a "go" button that will bypass all of the waypoints to go to the one you indicated. Handy for skipping a waypoint that was just a marker that the GPS doesn't think you passed. Also good for rally riding or adjusting your route on the fly.

Nits:
    This thing is worried about me. Holy cow! Every time there's a school zone it warns me. Every time the speed limit decreases, it warns me. every time there's a railroad crossing, it warns me. Every time there's a curve coming up, it warns me. WHAT THE HELL? I've got it so there's no volume on that stuff, but really, why do I need an animation at the top of the screen every time the road isn't straight and in the middle of nowhere? For dogs sake, the thing will route me down the hilliest and curviest roads it can find, and then warn me every time there's a curve. I can't think of a stupider feature and I have had no success in getting Garmin to help me turn them off.

Also, the 276c would notify you that you're off route, and like all other GPSs ask if you want to re-route. If you didn't reroute but then came across the route again, it would realize you're back on the route and continue. The 595 puts the pop-up "off route" warning on the screen and will not do anything until it is acknowleged. It doesn't go away. Ever. Unless you mess with it.

I feel like Garmin has maybe become too afraid of legal issues and put the above to "features" into the GPS, but in reality, both of them are a horrible distraction that a user should be able to turn off. Are they enough to skip buying the unit? Not if you're coming from a 276c. Otherwise I don't know.
    Dvolts likes this.
  8. KE5AFU

KE5AFU Adventurer

Oddometer:

You are able to turn the annoying nags off, software version 3.20, gps firmware 3.0.11.
    Settings - Map & Vehicle - Map Layers - Up Ahead Places.
    You can either uncheck the entire box or select that tab and uncheck only what you don't want.
    I unchecked the box and it no longer warns me of school zones, speed limit changes, railroad crossings, etc.

- Matt
    motocopter and Dvolts like this.
  9. boney

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll have a look!
  10. boney

Oddometer:
    Didn't work. Still have the annoying warnings across the top of the screen.

The customer service person at Garmin tells me it a "feature." The suggestions box got a suggestion. Doubt anything will happen though. It's too bad they're putting such an annoying little thing into a unit with so much potential.
  11. KE5AFU

KE5AFU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's rather odd, are you using the same firmware as I am? 3.0.11
    Mine no longer has any of those alerts unless I turn them back on.
  12. boney

Oddometer:
    Audible alerts are gone, but the animations at the top of the screen continue. Just got another note back from Garmin. "Features" that can't be turned off.

Thinking I should have bought a 590.
  13. KE5AFU

KE5AFU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder why the discrepancy on the two units? I have zero notifications, audible or visual, are you using the stock maps or have you loaded aftermarket ones as well?
  14. boney

Oddometer:
    I'm using the stock maps. I have some topos loaded, but don't use those until I'm off the pavement usually. I suppose I could load some aftermarket maps, perhaps that's the way around this. But then it also defeats the purpose of lifetime maps, doesn't it?
  15. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at buying a Garmin 595lm from a seller in Europe. Is it easy/cheap to download maps for North America?
  16. boney

Oddometer:
    Easy? I'm sure. Cheap? I have no idea.
  17. bross

Oddometer:
    City Navigator® North America NT
    Part Number: 010-D0743-00
    $79.99 USD

Downloadable Item

It's my understanding these are not lifetime maps when purchased separately from a gps so you'll need to pay for any updates you want in the future.
  18. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $80 map option? Ouch!

So I'm guessing that the US version just has US or North American maps loaded?

Sorry for the silly questions, just used to Google maps as my guide. But after a few incidents of the phone overheating on trips and being completely unreadable in the sun, I've figured its time to upgrade.
  19. bross

Oddometer:
    Sorry I should have posted the link to Garmin's website where I got that information.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/map...city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456.html

click on the coverage tab

Wouldn't it be easier to type your question into google and get the answers to all your questions direct from the source? Just curious.
  20. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that is the one I am looking at, but as the other guy said there are new 595 from uk for 609 on ebay, and I have the 100k topo on dvd and the 24k topo also on dvd and a newer version of city navigator on sd, so maps are not an issue, I need to make a decision...