590 lm vs. 595 lm ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Silverbird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    I had 595lm this year sent it back could not see the screen especially in daylight with Hi Viz gear on, terrible reflection. They have this cable which has 5 to 8 connectors on it and you can not route it through go fast plastic with a small hole! If you are still interested check the refurb list I know they are getting them returned. I went back to my 550 even though the screen is smaller it is a much clearer.
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those that own a 595, how does the adventurous routing work with multi point routes you make in basecamp?

It would seem like the unit parameters could change a pre-planed route significantly.
  3. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Bumping the thread.
    How does the 590 handle topo maps? Some have said it doesnt handle them well and the website says it does.
  4. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Do not fall for this thing (595lm)The cable is a cluster of wires you have to cut up to route and the screen is not, IS NOT viewable in sunlight!! Someone in this company stopped listening to riders and went for something else.:vardy
  5. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Is it a different plug and screen than the 590lm? Because they look the same and the specs are the same.
    Edit: oops I thought we were comparing it to the 590. I see you are comparing it to the 550. Which now has me wondering if maybe the 550 is good enough.
  6. KE5AFU

KE5AFU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had issue with seeing the screen in daylight? I used it for parts of the TAT and COBDR earlier this year, my main issue was it not wanting to stick to the routes. The cable has way too many connectors IMO, but I didn't need to cut it up, just routed it to the battery and called it a day.
  7. Overdale

Overdale n00b

Oddometer:
    So - both the 595 and 590 have a great screen. Hopefully, though not mentioned anywhere, the 595 might have better battery life. Curvy/adventurous roads Roads? Nah - I like to plan my rides, especially in countries like Iran Turkey and Greece where roads sometimes just vanish, or have slumped some time in the last 5 years but have not been repaired. Another bummer with both is that the device has a mind of its own in autozoom, and you end up with a display where you are in empty countryside with no roads, especially given the level of map detail is pretty abysmal. The unit is great with voice prompts on in a big unfamiliar city with lots of traffic, exactly the type of place I avoid like the plague - but sometimes you have to.
    If you want a unit with everything, and can live without voice prompts, lane guidance, and pictures of hiway billboards on your screen, get an etrex 30x. I upgraded from the 30 after it took me through the US, Australia, and Iran to Scotland. In my opinion this unit is versatile enough for hiking, biking, motorcycling, and perish the thought, motoring.
    One of these guided me safely through a torrential downpour on a US motorway in the dark in someone else's Corvette, where the lane marker catseyes were practically invisible. And the batteries last for an entire day, even if they are not lithium.
    All IMHO of course...
  8. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Relative to the issue of the unit sticking to routes, I have a couple of things to offer. First off, if you want to use routes for spoken directions vs just using a track that you follow, you have to insert route points at the intersections to force the Nav to follow the route you want. You do need to be aware of an extra step in using your route when you set them up like this. When you activate the route you will get a screen showing you all of the route points and it will ask you to select the next destination. This is great if you have setup a breakfast stop or something. You can select that point and off you go. If you have just used the route points to force the unit to navigate a specific route, and want to go straight to the end destination, you need to scroll to the last route point (your destination) and select it.

The second thing I recommend is that you convert your routes to tracks and set the track to be shown on the map in a color you can see easily. This way if the unit varies from the route you want, you will see it moving off of the track that represents your desired route.

This assumes you are setting up your routes in Basecamp. I'm currently using a 590LM and have not had any issue with it's handling of tracks, routes, or topo maps. That said, I am thinking about getting a 595LM for the improved track capacity, but mostly just hoping for better audio. The spoken directions on my unit have never been clean and crisp, always kind of distorted.
    GO_OUTSIDE! likes this.
  9. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    I've just upgraded from the 590 to the 595. Was hoping the audio quality of the spoken commands would be crisp and clear on the 595........it isn't, crappy quality just like my 590. Was also hoping texts would come through since they show that in the screenshots on the Garmin site.....they don't, and yes, I'm running the app. Also can't get incoming phone calls to work. Outgoing is fine, but no go on incoming calls. My setup is Sena 20S paired to the 595, and my iphone 6S Plus paired to the 595. I'm guessing the problem is the iphone since the bluetooth seems super buggy with everything I connect to. Anyway, wondering if any of you folks using the 595 are having similar issues.
    Pipeman likes this.
  10. porterrad

porterrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only had one issue somewhat similar to yours with a 595 connected to to an iPhone SE, a Samsung S7, a Samsung Note 4, a Samsung Note 7, a Sena SMH10 & several automobile Bluetooth systems.

While I am typically able to initiate & receive phone calls on my 595, the calls almost always have very poor audio quality & frequently disconnect. Disconnection is typically preceded by echoing on both ends of the call. My two prior 590s also had the same issue although I only used these prior 590s with an iPhone 4 & Note 4.

In 3 years & ~ 60k miles, nav voice quality has almost always been excellent on my 590s & 595, although the beginning & end of nav instructions are clipped off under certain circumstances.

Text previews have reliably appearred over the 11 months & 20k miles I've had my 595 - when I have this feature turned on.

My 595 has had a few other issues, but it has done pretty well with nav voice quality & texts. Except for the phone issues, you're having basic problems that haven't happened on my Zumos.

My iPhone SE & iPhone 4 connected pretty reliably to all sorts of devices via bluetooth, so I'm guessing you're correct - there may be something wrong with your iPhone. An Apple store should be able to determine if your iPhone is malfunctioning.

On the other hand, Garmin has shipped a Zumos with hardware problems. If you're in the U.S., I'd suggest calling 800-800-1020 & speaking with Garmin Tech Support. Their wait times have improved & are now pretty short. I've found that they really try to help. If there's a hardware problem with your Zumo, they'll try to make it right.

Garmin Tech support has a more difficult time fixing software issues. In my experience, if you have a Garmin software issue you generally have to log your issue with Tech Support & hope that they'll fix the issue with a software update. 'Til then, you just have to work around it.

Your phone issue may be at least partially related to Garmin software problems. I've tried to get Garmin to improve phone performance for 3 years. Some of the softwsre updates improved things, but not enouhh to make the phone feature usable. As a result, I just live with it & bypass my Zumo for telephone use. I connect the Sena directly to my phone if & when I want to make a call. This works reliably with very good audio quality.

Good luck. If you learn anything, please share it.
  11. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I'm overdo for a phone upgrade anyway, so I'm going back to the Android camp soon, so we'll see if that heks anything. Until recently, i was pairing my phone to the 20S and then pairing my 590 to the 20S as a second phone. In this scenario phone functions work well, but I had terrible volume issues between different devices/functions. Music from the phone would be almost too low to hear, but Siri or an incoming call would be deafening. I've also been having issues where my music will start playing at double speed or stuttering on and off after pausing, it or it being interrupted by a phone call.

I find it hard to believe that I could get two garmins in a row that have the same hardware issue for voice quality. Tried to sort it out through software with garmin last time around. I'm pretty sure it's the nav as I get the same issue if I connect to 1/8" audio out from the cradle harness as well.
  12. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel pretty fortunate that I just mute my Zumo and listen to my bike while riding.
  13. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the latest firmware upgrade, I've had 2 phone issues. Once the entire unit jammed when a text and phone call came in at the same time and on the other it had no incoming sound. I had to reset the GPS on the first one, and turned bluetooth off then on again on the other event.

There are 2-types of protocol for bluetooth. I don't know how they work or what they're called, but one is mono and sounds like AM radio and the other is stereo and sounds pretty darn good. Check that your phone is connecting on the higher quality one. On occasion, on the previous firmware version, my 595 would revert to the lower quality bluetooth connection with my phone if I spent a lot of time on the intercom. I would have to reset the bluetooth to get back to the better protocol.
  14. porterrad

Oddometer:
    Individual volume settings can be made for each audio input on my Sena SMH10. Just set the volume on the Sena while listening to each device & the SMH10 remembers it. I presume the 20S with do the same, but I don't know for sure.
  15. porterrad

Oddometer:
    X2 on the different Bluetooth protocols or profiles. I think the mono audio version is HFP (Hands Free Protocol?) & the stereo version is A2DP. There are lots of other bluetooth profiles, but my Sena SMH10 allows selection of HFP or A2DP depending on the procedure used to connect with the phone & Zumo. I haven't figured out how to choose the profile on the Zumo, but the Sena instructions describe how to do it. The audio quality difference between the two profiles is significant.
  16. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yes, 20s used to do this as well. Seems it doesn't anymore.

I did a hard reset on the unit and it seems a little better. Got notifications working, but no luck on incoming call. I think it might be the iPhone. When a call comes in it treats like a voicemail and I get buttons for listen and delete. Hitting listen does not answer the call.
  17. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    I do plenty of that too, but it's nice to have the other features on long super slab slogs. I'm trying to get all this sorted out and working before trip this summer. I'll be on the bike for a month doing the IDBDR, up into BC for some Adv riding around Revelstoke, where my family is from, and then back down through Washington and Oregon.

The wife isn't thrilled about me bailing for a month, so I'm trying get the texts working, and it seems they are now, so it's easier to keep track of when she's trying to reach, assuming I'm in an area with service. I always have my inreach with me, but that seems to complicated for her.
  18. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm aware of the different protocols and sure both connections are A2DP. I get stereo music from the 595, and through my phone via the Sena. The only pairing issue is when I turn off my Sena I get a notification on the 595 that phone support has been disabled. When I turn on the Sena it doesn't reable phone support. I have to go into the menu and check the phone box manually.

I'm headed out for a ride to test the mount I built for the powered cradle for my inreach before sending it in for powder coating, so we'll see how it all behaves. When I get home, I think I'll go get my new phone and hope that fixes the incoming call issue.
  19. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    So, I had to repair my Sena before the ride, just wouldn't connect. Other than that it went fairly well. I think I have independent volume again, and the music at double speed or modulating on and off seems to be gone so that's a huge improvement from what was going on with my 590. Notifications were working as well with the exception that no tone would be heard. Checked multiple times, and it set on to play a tone, and notification volume is set 100% like all the others since it's connected to a bluetooth device. What is just coming to mind as I type this is that I may need to turn up the volume for notifications on the Sena. Which will be a pain in the ass since you have to be paying attention and catch at just the right time to turn up the volume. I didn't receive any phone calls, but most likely nothing has changed relative to that issue. I did also find that , after stopping where the nav would shut down, that when it turned on again and linked to the Sena and phone that I would have to manually check the boxes again for notifications and such. I'm hoping that is all resolved when the iphone goes. which is where I'm headed right now.
  20. porterrad

Oddometer:
    If I don't change configurations before shutting down, my 595 will usually reconnect to the phone & headset without checking the boxes each time.