590 lm vs. 595 lm ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Silverbird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope that will be the case for me as well now that the iphone is gone. I haven't been out on the bike with the new Droid Force, but after pairing and testing the setup, everythings seems to be working correctly.
  2. timlaw

timlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 590lm. Works great until I go to make my own off road route from google maps to basecamp then transferred to the 590lm. I cannot get it to take the route and always wants to turn me around to the beginning of the route. I've tried going "Off Road" mode and that just gives me a straight line to the point. I've heard this can be fixed on basecamp by adding more waypoints. I've thought of converting the basecamp route to walking since it gives a million points and trying that. This is my only complaint on the 590. Also, if anyone has a screen shot of a 590lm with the topo map installed, I'd like to see it. I can't find anything online to see the difference.
  3. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    When you setup a route in base camp you have to insert route points along the route to force the 590 to use the same route. When you setup your route in basecamp and export it to your 590, basically all that is being exported are the start and end point, and any waypoints you setup along the way, and then the 590 routes you based on the routing preferences you have set, i.e. fastest time, or shorted distance. Inserting the route points forces the 590 to calculate it's route through the points, just like way points. In fact, when you select a route on your 590 that has been setup this way, it will show you a list of all the route points and ask you to select your next destination. If you want to go directly to the end destination, you will have to scroll down that list and select the end destination, and then select "go".

I insert my route points at each turn where the unit will be prompting me to turn to force my 595 to follow my route. I will also insert points along very long sections with no turns just to be sure the unit does't route some crazy shortcut to the next point. What's a few extra points between friends. Another REALLY good habit to get into, especially for off road navigation, is to convert your routes to tracks and export both the track and route to your 590. Set the track to a color, on the 590 not in basecamp, that you can see on the map easily. Don't pick the same color as the route, obviously. You'll have to set the track to "show on map" in the 590. Now you will see the route in purple, and your track as a finer line inside of it in the other color. This gives you the ability to get the spoken commands from your route, but you also have the track, that cannot change, as a reference so you'll be able to tell if your unit is navigating off of your planed route, and you'll know where to go to get back on your route.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, pretty sure I posted this at least once before in this thread.
    ADVwxyz, JaggGS and Midwesttrekker like this.
  4. timlaw

timlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. You may be repeating yourself which is ok with me....I'm a slow learner..LOL My main question was wondering if anyone has tried to basecamp a route and then make it a walking route instead of a bike. The walking route has a ton of waypoints and was curious if this would work. I haven't done this myself, and will give it a shot.
  5. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for one simple capability spec of the 590 and 595. I have read this thread and I called garmin directly and searched most everywhere to no avail.

I want to load a single GPX track. I need to know how many points in a SINGLE gpx track that the 590 and 595 will display (I have read differing accounts of the 595 - some say 10K, others say 15K points). I have never found a reliable number stated for the 590 (many specs on routes and how many tracks (I don't care). I know that my montana will show up to 10K points, for example, and that is well documented. If someone either has a 590/595 and confirmed its point limit or can find something posted from a reliable source, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need a 10K or 15K point track, I'd be glad to forward one for a test. Thanks.
  6. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd ask the guys at gpscity.com, they seem responsive and knowledgeable, probably moreso than some of the Garmin people.
  7. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea. Posted yesterday and got a non-useful reply from gpscity...
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

One track with 10k points is a really bad idea. If it gets corrupted, you delete it, or similar bad things happen.... There is no plan b. Split it into about a days worth of riding per section, and make an image overlay of the entirety, instead of just relying on one track.
    bkg123 likes this.
  9. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am not asking for an opinion about the utility/safety, etc. of how many points in a track. I am asking how many points a track can have.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    OK just so you know :-)

There are some other answers by developers that state the point limit is 10,000. Might be a good idea to test it with a 11,000 and 16,000 point gpx file before you head out trusting it to work.

Good luck :-)
    staggart likes this.
  11. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the heads-up. The problem is that I do not yet own the 590/595 and, hence, the question. If I had one, then it's easy to test (this is why I said I would send someone a 10K point track for testing if they were willing). The problem I have is that I do a lot of 10K tracks (on my montana) and I want to verify the 590 and/or 595 will support at least neat 10K points before plunking down $500-$800.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This article from Globeriders on the NAV5(390) states....

The NAV5 handles Tracks very well for a Garmin On The Road device. You can Import up to 200 Tracks to the Tracks App and each of those tracks can have up to 15,000 points. You can have up to 15 of your tracks showing on the Map concurrently which puts the NAV5 in the same league as many of the newer On The Trail
    handhelds for showing total Track Points on the Map.

http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

I have found his articles to be the best resource for anything gps related. The new 276Cx supports 20,000 points.
    http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article10_gps/article10_gpsmap276cx.shtml
    ohgood likes this.
  13. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @bross, thanks for the NAV5 link - that article alludes to the 590 but doesn't quote come out and say it. Is the NAV5 really just a renamed 590?
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask Dan Townsley (from Globe Riders, PM him here @DRTBYK), he'll know the specs for both the 590 and 595. He comes and goes here, so you might have to wait a bit for the answer.

Remember to report back.
    ohgood likes this.
  15. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, and the answer is... The Zumo 590LM supports 15,000 track points (as expected). I have one in my hand and verified that any points over 15K get clipped. Can't speak for any other zumo models but I expect they are the same. Thanks to those who responded
  16. staggart

staggart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the 590/595 handles 15K points per track. Not sure how many total tracks. I verified this with a 590 in my hands.
  17. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I wish Garmin would make their specs easier to find.
  18. PeterInMD

PeterInMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you say "directly to the end destination", is it your intention in doing this then to skip the waypoints? My objective is to call up the route, see the map, and have the device announce only the turns and those shaping points that where I have overridden the "won't alert" attribute. My zumo 665 currently ignores the "won't alert" attribute and announces / displays every point. I'm hoping you can elaborate on this just a bit.
  19. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to go back and correct the statement I made in that post. If you select the end destination point as the "next point" from the start, or some mid point along you route, it will ignore your shaping points and route you to the end destination based on the preferences you have set in your unit, i.e. fastest time or avoid freeways, etc. The correct way to do it is to select the next destination in the route from your current location, the unit will then route you to the next point and seamlessly continue the route through your shaping points. So, in other words, if you are at the start point, you select next point in the list from the start point, but if you are somewhere mid route you have to select the next point in front of you otherwise the unit will route you back the wrong way if you select a point behind you. Hope that makes sense. Can't help you with why your unit announces all of the shaping points. Neither my 590 or now my 595 have that issue.

For what it's worth, when I head out this summer to hopefully do the entire trip that was planned for last summer, and ultimately cut in half by my then riding partner and friend who bailed a on a month long trip after just one week and an epically shitty fire season, I'm planning to give Rever a try on my iphone. I've found the 595 not usable due to the very thin line weight used for tracks. They are just too hard to see when you have old shitty eyes and the screen is dusty and you are bouncing around offroad. I've spoken with garmin at length about adding the ability to increase the line weight to make tracks more visible, but haven't seen the feature added.
  20. PeterInMD

PeterInMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    . Seamlessly is good. I was becoming concerned that I would have to "restart" my route at every point.

I believe it because my 665 was out before the "won't alert" capability came into being.

Rever? I guess that's one more tool I have to check out.

Thank you for your fast and very thorough responses. It's very appreciated!