5th annual Soggy Bottom Motofest, Port Matilda, PA, July 23rd-25th

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by JJBucksnort, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JJBucksnort

JJBucksnort Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    SoggyLogo21-01.png

What: 5th annual Soggy Bottom Motofest Adv and Dual Sport Rally

Where: Fowler Grove Community Center, 11246 S. Eagle Valley Rd., Port Matilda PA 16870

When: July 23rd- July 25th

Cost: Registration- $129
    On site tent camping- $20 (for full weekend)
    RV camping- $40 (for full weekend, no hook-ups)

Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/kissell-motorsports-17083097429

Event Organizer: BMW Motorcycles of Tyrone/ Kissell Motorsports

Description: Soggy Bottom Motofest is an annual 3 day Adventure Bike/ Dual Sport Rally held in Central PA. Participants will enjoy a total of 4 rides (A & B rides available) with GPS files. The rides will consist of a combination of state and private ground with a mix of pavement, state maintained fire roads and unmaintained jeep and buggy tracks. 50/50 tires are highly recommended for all rides! The event center is Fowler Grove Community center located approximately 4 miles south of the small town of Port Matilda, PA. Also included in the registration fee are:
    • 5 meals
    • unlimited beverages including beer!
    • live music
    • event t-shirt
    • vendors
    • remote technical and safety support on rides
    • optional competitions with prizes
    • BMW demo bike rides
    • guest speaker
    *Hot water showers available to campers

For those that don't want to camp, there are two hotels that offer a rider discount. Sleep Inn and Comfort Suites, $59 and $79/night respectively. If reserving by phone, make sure you mention Soggy Bottom Motofest 2021 when booking! Both are located in State College, PA.

https://www.choicehotels.com/reserv...3&checkOutDate=2021-07-25&ratePlanCode=BXZITH

https://www.choicehotels.com/reservations/groups/jp00v6

Update 5/6/21: Shawn Thomas and Louise Powers are holding an Adventure Riding Clinic at this summer's Soggy Bottom MotoFest.
    Louise and Shawn  (3).JPG
    Maybe you have the dream. Maybe you've picked out the bike, purchased the gear, and even planned the trip. Or maybe you are a seasoned motorcyclist that is looking for the next chapter in your riding experience.
    We want to help you be best prepared for this adventure, and that comes through training!
    Click here to learn more about the details of the clinic, including what you can expect to learn, what to bring, and other frequently asked questions. Whether you're a beginner or a veteran, you won't want to miss this opportunity!
    ADV Riding Promo Pic 06.jpg
    Registration is open, and spots are limited!
    $40 Per Spot
    Due to time and space constraints, spots for this clinic are limited. Register today to ensure your spot in this incredible experience!
    To register, call Megan at (814) 861-7890 and be prepared to make a $40 dollar deposit. We can't wait to see you there!

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9107.jpg
    StanBo and Racer111v like this.
  2. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Josh!

In!

Please check the hotel links - don’t work.
    Or provide rate codes.

Thanks Josh!
  3. JJBucksnort

Oddometer:
    Great and thanks for the heads up.....links should be working now
  4. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect - all links worked - Thanks!
  5. Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what's the difference between this and Bart's gig??
  6. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked this on the other thread and no one responded! SO there are two completely independent ADV rallys going on in the same small town on the same exact weekend? Am I the only guy here that finds that very odd? Why would either group do that?
    Cattledog1969 likes this.
  7. JJBucksnort

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to the intentions of the owner of Godspeed Events & Lodging or what his event will entail. I can however let you know what Soggy Bottom Motofest is, and why, after holding our event for four years at Godspeed, we decided to move locations. Soggy Bottom Motofest is organized, promoted and held by the ownership and staff of BMW Motorcycles of Tyrone/Kissell Motorsports. We are motorcycle enthusiasts (obviously) and most of the staff are avid ADV motorcycle riders.

The 5th annual Soggy Bottom Motofest is an AMA sanctioned, all inclusive ADV/Dual Sport rally that offers attendees the following:

• 4 ADV/Dual Sport rides with GPS tracks, multiple sweep groups with trained technicians, and remote mechanical support trucks out on the "course". The rides take place on a combination of private and state forest ground, and are insured through AMA's preferred provider, Jones/Birdsong. Our maps for this years event were submitted to the state on Dec. 7th, 2020. If all of our routes are approved, we will be riding in Moshannon, Sproul, Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests in addition to large plots of private ground with very challenging terrain.
    • 5 meals included
    • hot water showers
    • free event t-shirt
    • complimentary beer, soda and bottled water
    • live music Friday and Saturday night
    • slow races with prizes for top 3 finishers in two classes (900cc and over, 899cc and under)
    • on site Supercross track for those that want to bring along an enduro/motocross bike or just goof around on their ADV bike
    • guest speaker (yet to be determined) in years past we've had BMW brand ambassadors Jocelin Snow and Neale Bayly.
    • BMW demo rides (we're hoping to secure the BMW demo truck for this year's event) Application has been submitted

Reasons for moving the event (in order of impact on our decision):
    • The owner of Godspeed placed a 100 rider cap on our event. Our event has grown each year (despite Covid we had record attendance last year). As owner of BMW Motorcycles of Tyrone/Kissell Motorsports, my concept for our event is simply to be active in the riding community (so few dealers are these days), build relationships and increase awareness of our dealerships brand in the Mid-Atlantic region. We've never viewed this as a "moneymaker". By building our brand and fostering relationships, the money will come later in resultant bike sales. We simply can't accomplish our goals for the event by capping it at 100 riders. We overcame that last year by having an overflow location at Fowler Grove Community Center (FGCC), which is approximately 6 miles South of Godspeed. Obviously two locations creates logistical issues and much of the "feel" of the event is lost. We decided it was in our best interest (and the interests of the attendees) to go back to a single location concept.
    • Cost: facility rental was simply getting too expensive to keep the price point where we wanted. The owner of Godspeed saw it differently. He continually tried to impress upon us that we should focus on having an uber premium event and charge more. That's simply not what we want, we CAN offer a premium event and riding experience AND keep our costs down by moving to FGCC. Attendee cost has been lowered by $80-$120 this year (depending on lodging option). Last year, the owner of Godspeed charged us $10,000 (100% increase) to rent the facility AND charged the riders $40 to camp in a tent (and much more for under roof accommodations). I sent a post event survey to attendees last year and we received feedback that the "food is the same every year, and that it wasn't as good this year". Unlimited beer was supposed to be included in the facility rental, but the beer was gone by late Saturday afternoon. We paid more for less.
    • Perceived lack of appreciation for our business. Over the last two years, comments by the owner were made that also played into our decision. An employee of the dealership was told that "he makes much more money, with less effort on smaller events" and "these bikes tear up my grass, I hold weddings here too!". Our patrons were yelled at by the owner if they parked in the wrong location or rode their bike too fast. We won't have this issue in the new location. It simply comes down to perceived value and different, unresolvable concepts.

At first glance, the owner of Godspeed's timing of his event is interesting to say the least. We spent a lot of money at his facility over a four year span and simply decided to move on. As an event center, there are many opportunities to rent his facility (weddings, family reunions, etc.). But, we enthusiastically WELCOME more ADV riders to the Mid-Atlantic! Our dealership will be hospitable to any and all that attend either event for maintenance, apparel sales etc. However, the Fowler grounds, gps trax (intellectual property of Kissell Motorsports), private ground access/permission, and all that comes with Soggy Bottom Motofest will be available ONLY to registered attendees. Thank you.
  8. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you for this response and it clears a lot of this up. It is very clear that your event and date was planned and scheduled before Godsppeds came in with their event.
    You did not say this and I respect you being professional - so I will say it. the people over at Godspeed's are simply having the event on the same weekend as you guys just to be dicks. I mean, that's what this is. I don't care, I don't know either group and I'm just watching this from afar- but let's call this what it is. Wow, that is some petty and immature shit right there.
    Good Luck to you guys, I am coming to your event. I would be surprised if 5 guys go to that other event, if that. Once the adv rider community see what the game is here they will want nothing to do with that BS.
  9. toyboy

toyboy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doc.C,
    Well said. Unbelievable. What a total bunch of Bullshit. Bart (Prick owner of Godspeed) is a complete and total SMACKASS. Spiteful, childish, and vindictive. Completely unprofessional. Hard to believe he actually runs a business. This from the idiot cooking breakfast with a cigarette in his mouth over the grille. Rather than doing some soul searching and trying to figure out how to do things better and not lose business, he pulls this nonsense. He does not deserve the Soggy Bottom as an event. Elated it is moved. Josh / Kissell's definitely took the high road on this one. Kudos to them and what a great event they put on in spite of the bullshit they have had to endure in the past with this host. I will in fact boycott any and every event to be held at that location for here on out.
    dirtbagger, Wood1 and Doc.C like this.
  10. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    And then the guy says on the other thread that he is having the event in response to all the calls he is getting about having an event at his location that weekend - YEA NO SHIT,
    It’s guys calling that just assume that is where soggy bottom is at again. I’m certain every one of those calls was someone assuming they where registering for soggy bottom.
    Toyboy , Josh has to keep it cool because he is a professional man who ownes a business. He can’t be on a public forum calling people out for being fuck heads -
    But we can!
    toyboy likes this.
  11. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc. Did you see what I saw ? Unlimited Beer.:freaky
  12. snowman318

snowman318 Future Corpse

Oddometer:
    Did someone say beer?
    Old_Lion, Victoriagumm, Wood1 and 3 others like this.
  13. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    ABSOLUTELY.
    JJBucksnort likes this.
  14. hcgrissom

hcgrissom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a “camp” setup out of my suv with an awning, etc.
    What will the camping situation be at this event? Can I park my suv and camp out of it in the camping/tent area, or do I have to register for an rv spot?
    Thanks!
  15. JJBucksnort

Oddometer:
    Hi HC, just sign up for a tent space..that'll be fine. Thx for the interest!
  16. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In,,,,hope yinz all have good beer in PA
  17. hcgrissom

hcgrissom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I’m registered.
    See you there!

Craig
  18. snowman318

snowman318 Future Corpse

Oddometer:
    I was curious about that also. Enclosed trailer but no need for hookups. Tim is a van guy
    tjzondrz and eddie bolted like this.
  19. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    There will be bourbon also.
    eddie bolted and Wood1 like this.
  20. TangoYankee

TangoYankee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody headed here from Long Island?