6.4 earthquake in California

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MotoChris521, Jul 4, 2019.

1. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    You shouldn't have to worry about the quakes. Long Beach is quite a ways from Ridgecrest.
  2. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    You should have no concerns coming to southern California.
  3. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Long Beach is about 140 miles from the area, you may feel the bigger quakes, but only a little.
    I am 120 miles away and felt both, with a few things falling from the wall with the 7.1 but not damage, just a 20-30 second rolling sensation. DR650SEDDY shared a link above to check the activity.:-)
  4. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    The news has nothing to talk about and they make it out like total Armageddon. I’m 100 miles closer to the earthquakes than Long Beach and absolutely nothing here even tipped over or fell off a shelf. Talking to people in Los Angeles about these quakes on the news was downright comical because if they weren’t perfectly still at the time, they likely never felt them.

In fact, you could get to Ridgecrest today if you wanted. It looks like there is one road closure between Ridgecrest and Trona (pavement damage) and if someone were desperate enough to get there, even Trona is accessible from the north.

Considering 99.99999% of people in Los Angeles County will never see Trona in their lifetime, you don’t have much to worry about.
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    One more thing that struck me as funny/odd: ABC studios is 2.5 hours from Trona. They didn’t even bother to send a news van out there last night. Instead, they lazily went to Hollywood and asked people on the street what they thought of the quake. Really riveting stuff. “Oh my god! Has someone checked on the Kardashians? Los Angeles won’t sleep until we’re sure they’re okay!”
  6. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Trona got it bad. The epicenter was on the base, closer to Trona than ridgecrest. Buckled roads, pretty bad foundation damage at a ton of the houses. Not sure if/when I'll be able to go to work, my techs on shift couldnt see or breathe in the lab, had them evacuate immediately and haven't heard if the fire/haz crew has inspected our building.

Broken glass and cracked paint at my house, my detached garage got it worse, doesn't look structural though. So far* no major damage at the rest of the families houses except my parents swamp cooler tumbled from the roof. Still checking everything out, we've got a lot of family here.

I feel bad for the trona residents and my coworkers, outside of ridgecrest businesses losing merch and a couple mobile homes not making it, the damage in Trona appears much worse.
  7. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're good. I saw the epicenter being right on top of Trona.

For those who don't know about the Trona Pinnacles, here's some photos. Pretty cool place to ride and visit.
    IMG_6064.JPG
    fullsizeoutput_1142.jpeg
    IMG_6039.JPG
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lived there 54 years in LA area, remember quite a few. Northridge maybe the worst!
    pceire32 likes this.
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Strange comments about LA. I lived through the Northridge Earthquake it was only 6.7 and the 10 Interstate freeway 1/2 mile from my house collapsed. This is not a my balls are bigger then yours situation, rather a disaster that should bring awareness to all of us in S. California to prepare since we all live in earthquake country and an earthquake can hit any of us anytime. Earthquake’s don’t care how tough/weak you are or where you live. :-)
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a Geologist and I love earthquakes! Geology in action!!! Yeah Baby!!!

178 looks to be reopened.
    DeathValleyTiger and el Pete like this.
  11. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I think I got lucky being an extra ~10 miles from the epicenter. I was at work for the 6.4, home watching TV with the wife for the 7.1. It was trippy watching the house shake like that. Quite a few friends and family aren't as lucky as I am damage wise, but it's very good there's less than 35k people within 50 miles of this quake
    pceire32 likes this.
  12. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not read all the reports, seem to recal a noobs member might have bought a property in Trona a while back? It’s a strange little town, but if a adv relief fund is happening post up a link.
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tag3 I believe.
    pceire32 and Matt fe2o3 like this.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard that when @tag3 bought his land in Trona, all of the property values dropped from the thought of his moving there!
  15. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    I wonder if I can get some disaster relief money even though I don't have a house there?
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Just have to tell them "you HAD a house there before the quake..."
  17. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I once considered buying a house there. I was playing around on Realtor.com and trying to see how far out you had to go before the cost of housing dropped to rest-of-the-country levels. I’m already in Palmdale and that ain’t it. Mojave ain’t it. Ridgecrest even enjoys some expensive homes.

But you make that last corner on highway 178 and suddenly houses become really affordable in Trona. There was literally a listing for what it said was a 2,100 SF house and I think a two car garage for something like $7,000. No, not missing any zeroes there. Admittedly, it was beat up but it was standing. It was near the end of a road, terminated by the railroad going past.

And I figured that no matter what’s wrong with it, if you bought it and put $30-40K cash into it, you’d OWN a modest house with maybe a $25K appraised value. $315 property taxes per year? Great access to Death Valley and the eastern Sierra. Las Vegas a few hours away.

Hmm, looks like someone else had the same idea.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13225-Lupine-St-Trona-CA-93562/17483806_zpid/

The main issue was the tweakers doing meth cooks in the abandoned houses. They were literally bulldozing the town one property at a time as they became toxic waste hazards.

Then there was the issue of not being able to leave your house for fear of same tweakers breaking in.

Oh, and earthquakes. :lol3
  18. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Collect up some used lumber and drop it on the site. Yep, house fell in.
    nk14zp, Davethestick and Strong Bad like this.
  19. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cal Tech reports there is a 27 per cent chance of a 6. or higher earthquake in the next week. A 3 per cent chance of a 7. or higher earthquake in the next week. So that guy going to Long Beach with his family may want to rethink his plans. Just saying...

We live here so we have no choice. At least know how to turn off your gas.
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Or maybe it was like Korach, the earth opened up and swallowed the house.
    nk14zp and pceire32 like this.