$6,500 to spend on a used ADV Bike - What to consider...

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dgore2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. dgore2

dgore2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son's 2012 KLR was recently totaled by an inattentive driver at a city intersection. He and his girlfriend escaped serious injury - not so much for his KLR. The front end was destroyed and insurance totaled it. We're now looking at a replacement. As his girlfriend rides behind him frequently; he wants to look at a bike with more cc's and comfort. He is an accomplished rider as he has been riding hare scrambles since a young age. We're looking to spend about $6500 at the top end. That's put us in the price range of used Super Tenere's and Tiger 800XC's or possibly a F800GS. We do some fire roads and moderate trails, but about 60-70% is on blacktop. Wondering if anyone has any other bike options that we're not thinking of in this price range. Needs to be reasonably reliable with a decent dealer network and parts availability. Also wondering if anyone has comments on any particular weaknesses regarding any of these bikes.
  2. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gen1 Super Tenere's 2012-2013 with low miles & farkles can be found in that $6,000 range.

Suzuki VStrom 650's & 1,000's should also be considered.
  3. dgore2

dgore2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. Sold a V-Strom 650 last year. Great bike but not quite enough suspension to do anything but fire roads.

I'd like to know what folks think of the Tiger 800XC for two-up riding.
  4. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is an occasional passenger on my Tiger 800xc. It works for us just fine considering the bike’s purpose. Mine has the stock seat. I get pretty decent fuel economy with mine. Mine is rolling over 30,000 miles, and has been reliable.
  5. dgore2

dgore2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read about the stepper motors being problematic and causing the bikes to idle roughly or creating a hard start situation. Some have said that they have prevented the issue by keeping the motor assembly and linkage clean. Have you had to do any stepper motor maintenance?

Thanks,
    David
  6. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry there is only one bike to do it all, 990 !, 5-6 k gonna find u a build one , gonna takes a while to find right one but its worth it !
    Diddly and dgore2 like this.
  7. dgore2

dgore2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 990 is a great bike, but nice ones are out of our price range. I've heard that the 08' and later models are the ones to look for.
  8. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in the 8-10% range of the 10k miles put on my Super Tenere this year have been 2up. I am 6' 215ish geared up, GF is 5'9" in the 140 range. The bike has no qualms about having two people on it. I ride it offroad in the same manner as I did my KLR(totaled by my own stupidity) albeit a little slower. It is a great bike that is as easy to maintain as a KLR if not easier.
    dgore2 and zxrider11 like this.
  9. szramer

szramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i spend 5 k on mine , was looking for one a while and traveled +600 miles to get it , was worth it , i can ride highways , deep river crossing and singletracks :D
  10. dgore2

dgore2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What year is your Tenere? Anything you would change about it?
  11. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM950
  12. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    2016 non-ES, Purchased as a leftover Dec '17. Here's the list of what I have changed with my justification:
    Rumbux Crash Bars-biggest coverage/bang for buck IMHO
    Ram mounted Garmin 64s-Leftover from KLR
    Happy Trails rear rack-The stock is rated for something like 7lbs and I needed more than that.
    Heated pillion seat-She aint happy...
    Oxford heated grips-Necessary on all motorcycles
    Protaper Adventure bars-The stock sweep made my throttle hand go numb, this helps
    Bark busters VPS-The stock are mounted to the mirror posts and I almost lost a mirror on a drop
    Double take mirrors-Leftover from KLR
    Fastway EVO 4? Pegs - Had aftermarket on the KLR and the stock Tenere didn't inspire great confidence off road
    Eastern Beaver PC-8 - Made wiring the extra electrical stuff idiot proof

Soon to add a windscreen spoiler, additional dash space and windscreen brackets. The buffeting is worst with the stock screen in the highest position(adjustable screen only avail on 2014+) for me so I keep it lowest for now as my KLR had minimal fairing by the time I was done with it(see below). I am going to test the spoiler and if I don't like it, I'm going to cut down a stock screen shorter to lower the air bubble furhter on my chest.

If I were going RTW 2up, I would spend some money on the suspension as with all the extra weight, the bike can wallow a bit but for my use it is fine until it needs service then I will have it tuned.

[​IMG]
    That turned out way longer than I had planned.
  13. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I hadn’t heard of any stepper motor issues until today. I spent some time reading up on it. It might explain a couple of scenarios I had with the bike. Once recently, the idle was temporarily rough. Last year, I had one hard start in my driveway. I guess I’ve been lucky with my 2012. I had a side stand switch failure when the bike was still under warranty. All in all, it’s been a great bike. I did buy it new in 2012. I’ll have to have a look at that stepper motor linkage soon.
  14. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    +1 on KTM 990.

I’m not sure Id turn down a 950, either. Seems like there’s been several nice 990s for sale in that price range.

In addition to trying the Flea Market on ADV, I used SearchTempest to monitor all Craigslistings nationwide. Be patient and be ready to strike when it’s right. I bought a bike (different KTM) in great shape and paid about $750 to ship it home and still came it at, or under average listing prices. Deals do happen.
  15. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is, like everything else electrical or that moves on any vehicle prone to failure, (like most things on BMW's or any ltalian bike!!:lol3), but the fact is that the Tiger is WAY superior to the OP's other 2 choices, & there are different models to choose from for different riding styles.

PS, keep it clean, l powerwash the bike & the stepper motor most weeks then spray WD40 on it & in it's 5yr lifespan it's never let me or the previous owner down once!
    It's not a chore, just look on it like you would chain maintenance.
  16. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up an F700gs used with 2 k miles for 6500. Love it. Great gravel bike. Anything over 350 lbs or so is to heavy for having fun off-road. At least for me
  17. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    990. The one bike I regret selling, you can find them for $6500, just gotta wait for the right deal. Giggle inducing machine. And the sound, my gawd. My friend bought mine and rides two up with his wife.
  18. Diddly

Oddometer:

This!

I’m not sure there’s a better sounding bike out there.

Later KTM twins are coming with single exhaust cans. Nothing beats dual exhaust on these bikes.

19. Diddly

Oddometer:
    Even Charlie says so (1:06’).