1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

6/8 Ear Inn posers' ride

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by BobbyC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Dr Rock is itching to get some seat time on his fancy Eye-talian steed this weekend. We talked about the route following a river thru CT that was in a Rider mag before so we thought it'd be a good ride for Sunday. LDF and maybe some other beginner offroaders are coming so the offroad stuff isn't gonna be too tough. Think of it as more of a scenic all surface ride.

We started recruiting guys and gals while we were at Ear Inn and got lots of "maybe's". Damn posers :lol3 .

I've been looking at GoogleMaps and it's 110 miles to get to any part of the route. We could take local but then that kills most of the day.

Then I saw what else was around. Delaware Water Gap? Catskills? I like the Catskills because it's a fun ride up and there's lots of dirt roads up there with really nice scenery.

The plans so far is to meet at Dr Rock's place in the city at 8-9am and head out. That's it.

So, with all this in mind, who's in? Who's got some ideas?

Absolutely nothing is set in stone as of yet.

2. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's dirt roads, I'm in.

If it's trails, I'm out.

Tipsy
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    We have some wonderful dirt roads and twisties in Passaic and Sussex Counties of New Jersey. I could find some decent "bedding in" areas for Rock's bike.

We could meet at the Hibernia Diner just off Route 80, a straight shot for you New Yorkers. Here's where it's located:
    [​IMG]

A 10 a.m. start would give you folks a chance to get there without killing yourselves.
  4. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sulaco and I are thinking of doing the Pine Barrens...either 1 day (Sunday) or stay overnight at the Ramada / camp ground...

Anyone interested?
  5. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Tipsy - Dirt roads like the Berkshire ride. You'll be fine.

docgonzo - There will be beginner riders so nothing tough. That would be exit 37 off Rt 80?

DD - Get your own damn thread :fyyff . Or why don't you join us on Sunday?
  6. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Or why don't we go down to the PB's for the day?

Gotta work monday AM though.
  7. Ginzer

Ginzer Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer:
    I vote for the Catskills. The paved roads are nice and I'd like to see some of the dirt roads up there.

Of course, this is all contingent upon me getting my precalc homework done... :hide

I know, I know, that's just wrong.
  8. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love to do it but I'm away this weekend. I'm around next weekend though. Could even break out one of the "Ultimates" :evil

I'd like a Catskills ride also- don't spend enough time up there.

The Hibernia stuff Doc has in mind is fun if you do it this weekend.
  9. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    I'm in. I don't know about the PB but I'm up for any of the other options.
  10. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies Bobby...:deal ...anywho...we're there Sat/Sun...2 bikes, so should be going reasonably well as far as pace goes...

Ride safe ya'll...
  11. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey, This is only 1.3 miles from my house. I live in the lake community just NW of the diner. But, I am working an out and back to DFW on Sunday.....Damn!!! I will gladly host all of you for a pre-ride breakfast when I am home some weekend. Some of you have already had my famous breakfast eggs. As always you are welcome to stop in. I have tools, a trailer if you break down, cold beer, food and a very understanding wife. BTW, She just bought a scooter, a Yamaha Vino 125.
  12. Donald Duck

Donald Duck QYYQQuacks !

Oddometer:
    I'd love to be in Saturday to any ride but the Sunday... Sorry.

I just arranged a trailer installation to my car with a friend who has a garage. It's a "Trailer-in-a-bag" type of rig, and I have no time to install it in weekdays. It sould be ready to ride in Xplor event at 13th.

I was planning some tarmac riding this Sat., starting Palisades Pky, Harriman, Black soil region, Sussex Airport to lunch, Delaware and back. Ca 200miles. If you guys game for an off road trip I would prefer to join you... But... Saturday.

If not, have fun, be safe.
  13. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Rock, whatever you want. Pine Barrens is fine for me on Sunday a.m. as well.

Atsion Ranger Station? I've got a few GPS routes out of there. We are doing a ride on Friday, but you said you were working then.
  14. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    PB might be tough on the new guys. Sand is not big bike friendly if the rider is new to offroad.

I'd like to go to the Catskills. I've only been up there a couple of times and it's beautiful up there. Not too far and we could go thru New Paltz for good food (late lunch/early dinner?) on the way back.
  15. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    I like that idea... catskills it is. We may want to pick an alternate / secondary meeting place further north. Maybe along the Palisades? State Line lookout? Southern Catskills? Who's going to plot the route? I like Mary Smith road, but I'm sure there are lots more. Or should we just go exloring? Lots of dead ends and pavement, though... a more specific planned route may minimize those.
  16. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Depends if anyone wants to grab breakfast in the morning.

Royal Cliffs Diner is just off Exit 1 on the Palisades Parkway. That would be a good meeting point. Guys that are hungry can show up earlier to grab some grub and then lazy ones can roll in later :evil .

I can set up a basic, fun route up there and then just explore when we get up there. If we hit a dead end, we just turn around. Isn't that the adventure part of the ride? :thumb
  17. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright - the PB ride was cancelled (can't do a 2 day thing either myself)...anyone leaving from Manhattan to ride together?

Hey BobbyC, I'm in for Royal Cliffs Diner...what time do you want to meet there (breakfast preferably) - 8? 9?

Cheers,
    Nadim
  18. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    O.K., let me know when you are really ready to ride that bad boy Ducati. I'll save some good single track in Sussex or the Pine Barrens.

Later!
  19. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Royal Cliffs Diner at 8am.

Take PIP to exit 1. Come around the offramp and you'll be headed west. The diner is on the NW corner of the first light. There's an entrance just after the light on the right.

Get there with an empty stomach and full tank of gas. Kickstands up at 9am.

The first half of the day looks like it'll be mostly pavement. We can decide whether we slab it up to Catskills or backroad it when we meet in the morning.
  20. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! See you there at 8am...the less slab the better :)