/6 and /7 new engine vent hose change

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Beemerguru, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed a crankcase vent hose in the last few months?

I just got 2 each from both EME and San Jose BMW...and they're causing a lot of grief.

I guess BMW changed suppliers because the replacement hose has a much thicker wall and is nowhere near as pliable.

The crankcase vent outlet had to be removed (2 bolts and a new gasket) just so I could fit the hose on. The original was pliant enough that you could lube it up and bend it around so it would slip right onto the outlet. But the wall of this version is so thick and stiff that you can't get it to bend...at all. And when you do get it installed on the outlet, I don't think it would care if I put the clamp back on or just left it off. Got sweaty just doing that..

And threading it back through the right clamshell is a non-starter. The hose is way too large for the hole and the thick wall won't "collapse" like the original version when you could just slide it through. Tried Tri-Flow and grease...gave up on both after busting a couple of knuckles.

The only halfway easy solution is to take the clamshell over to the drill press and enlarge the hole. Not something I want to do so I'm asking if anyone has BTDT with the new "improved" hose and how did you do it?
  2. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were able to get a hose??
  3. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a /7 and was able to push the EME tube through vent hole. I 1st connected it to the vent setup and was able to slide it in. No biggie
    View attachment 3245683
  4. MonzaCross

MonzaCross When life throws you a curve, lean into it

Oddometer:
    I also thought they were NLA, but maybe something is available now? My dad taught me an old school trick years ago that might help. If you have a drop light with an actual incandescent bulb, lay the stiff rubber part on the bulb grill for a few minutes and then it will be nice and warm and pliable to bend however you need it. Thanks dad
    Texer, PaulBarton and patrkbukly like this.
  5. OldCrustyStuff

OldCrustyStuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to get it into clamshell but I invented 30-40 new ultra filthy curse words in the process. Completely agree that it’s way too thick and a complete bitch to install.
  6. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Got it in with a healthy dose of @#%@@ and tire lube. It used to be so easy
    OldCrustyStuff likes this.
  7. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do know what you mean. The one I got a while ago looked like it was a no go but after a bit of silicone rubber grease it slipped on in.
  8. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's always a plus when you can enlarge your vocabulary by inventing new words.
    OldCrustyStuff likes this.