6 Days of Living Death...Valley :)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by liv2day, Apr 19, 2019.

1. JP Rider

JP Rider Let's Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Day three was pretty awesome, despite the minor setback of the flat tire ... even though we made pretty quick work of that job! Wish we had the Benny Hill theme playing as we were doing that :lol3

20190408_095721.jpg

Also, we had the privilege to see the A-10 Warthog airshow through Father Crowley Canyon on our way out of PSR!! My GoPro video and sound doesn't even do any justice how awesome it was watching those planes carve through that wash!

I'm glad it was our shortest day of riding as that was by far the hottest day of the trip (100+ degrees ??), and I couldn't wait to get out of my gear once we got to Saline Hot Springs and try to cool off!

20190408_134033.jpg

Once the temps dropped down to a reasonable level later that afternoon, those hot springs felt soooooo nice!

20190408_140232.jpg

Too bad the following night there wasn't quite as pleasant ...

Attached Files:

2. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The video from our rip on day 4, heading out of Saline Valley through Dedeckera Canyon, riding by Eureka Dune, stopping to transfer fuel from the super tanker WR to the thirsty Katoom, then back through the Bristlecone forest to camp. And then the sand storm fun captured at the very end...lol.

3. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys thanks for sharing! :clap

Its amazing how the winds pick up quick out at the hot springs though I will admit, Im fortunate not to have felt what being sandblasted with 65mph winds feels like.
    liv2day likes this.
  4. JP Rider

Oddometer:
    Yup, another great day of riding, despite my overheating issues through the canyon and underestimating the fuel level over the pass to Big Pine ... as Homer says: :doh

Just wish I had the presence of mind to check the fuses on the Katoom ... that would've saved me a lot of hassles throughout the trip :baldy

Dedeckera Canyon was another amazing trek! I'm glad we told that Jeeper guy heading up the trail: "No way Jose are you getting up through that" HaHa!

20190409_093753.jpg

P1001313.JPG

It was great to finally get to Big Pine to fill up my starving bike with go-juice (and buy a jug of spare coolant for my overheating woes), and to have a decent meal beyond the MRE's that we've sustained on for the last couple of days. I don't remember the name of the restaurant in BP, but it was so nice at that point to enjoy a cold beer, and an awesome Reuben sandwich !!!

P1001337.JPG

And then, Back to Saline Springs facing this Fugly scene:

P1001354.JPG

We got back to camp just in the nick of time to gear-down (a big thanks to our camp neighbors for anchoring our tents to keep them from blowing away!) Then we tried to relax in the hot springs before the sand storm kicked in ... which turned into a few hours of trying to wait-it-out and not get too sand-blasted, but the wind never let up, so eventually we decided to make the brutal hike from the springs to our tents once we had to call it a day! And yes, we got sand-blasted all night long!

But that's why they call it "Adventure Riding" right? Gotta have one crazy story to make it worth while?!?!? (Kinda like riding the mud in SE Oregon ...)

PS: Did I ever mention I don't like riding in sand??
    NSFW, larryboy and liv2day like this.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Davethestick! I still have a couple more days of video to slice together, our rip up Lippincott, the racetrack, by the crater and back to PSR. Then the final day's ride out to Darwin, up to Cerro Gordo, and then back to PSR.

The wind was nuts and it wasn't just Saline Valley. We got back to PSR and they lost a couple of their tent cabins, crazy how it blows there (wasn't anywhere near that bad when I was there in '16).

In any event, appreciate the comments :thumb :thumb
    Davethestick likes this.
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

very nice RR. you guys missed the noobs by not that much. next time, don't be shy, join us.
    liv2day likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Dredging this one back up as I finally took the time to slice together a video from our 5th day of riding. You know, it'd be great if my job wanted to pay me to goof off with bike and drone video all day. Likely turn into a grind, but sure would make getting ride reports wrapped up a bit more timely...lol.

This was a good day of riding, up Lippincott pass, by the race track, teakettle junction, and then a stop by Ubehebe before slogging back to base camp. Effing wind sucked and we both had a rather terrifying moment of riding through zero visibility sand blowing on the asphalt back to Panamint - so glad the cars/trucks in front of us didn't stop in the middle of the road.

In any event, if you're looking to waste 5 minutes of time and want to see what Lippincott looked like for us, as well as the racetrack and Ubehebe...enjoy.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another nice video.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Ol Man! Appreciate the comment and glad you enjoyed it. Have 1 more to go, then get a report together from a long weekend in SE Oregon riding some of my favorite high desert :ricky :ricky
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Finally time to put a fork in this report and add the last video (though I might get a wild hair and throw together an aerial video).

Pretty damn good last day of riding, though we skipped the salt trams (snow), @JP Rider unenjoyed the sand (lol), and we might or might not have mistakenly misled a group of jeepers on how to get to Saline Valley (falls mostly to JP :lol3 :lol3 :lol3). Not a long day by any means, but seriously cool in the variety of terrain we covered.

It's a big longer as I had a bunch of good footage to include, so sit back and waste 8 minutes of your day.

Astronaut Jones likes this.
  11. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

Where was this? I don't think that we saw any of this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @rufus!

We headed out of Panamint and took the cut-off to Darwin. Short diversion to China Springs, then onto Darwin and out of the NP heading toward Hwy 190. JP was sick of the sand, so we bailed on that track and hit Hwy 190 sooner, took that to Cerro Gordo road. Up and over the range, then back to Panamint. Shot below shows our track, let me know if you want any particulars :-) :-)

[​IMG]
  13. Astronaut Jones

Astronaut Jones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report.
  14. JP Rider

Oddometer:
    The last two days were great rides, even though I was feeling the effects of being a little worn down from the previous four days and roughly 500 miles. Lippencott pass was definitely one of the most challenging parts of the trip, especially the mile or so section that was REALLY rocky! Not the best place to stall-out on a tall bike when you have short legs :muutt But it was smooth sailing the rest of the day once we got through that mess, and saw some really interesting landmarks!

20190410_115123.jpg

20190410_113550.jpg

20190410_121702.jpg

20190410_130910.jpg

As for the last day, it was one of our shortest loops of the trip, but also one of the more diverse. Carving through Darwin Canyon was a blast, with a nice stop at China Springs ... who wouda' thunk you'd see a fish pond like this in the middle of the desert???

20190411_101346.jpg

Once we passed through the town of Darwin (quite the thriving Metropolis, ha ha) the next stretch cutting over to Hwy 190 had some spectacular scenery, although, once again the sandy trail was kicking my behind! :doh

Then it was up the hill to the Cerro Gordo mine, where it cooled off considerably at 8,500 ft., hence the need to dawn our riding jackets. Certainly one of the high points of the trip (ha, see what I did there?).

20190411_121911.jpg

20190411_124609.jpg

20190411_124712.jpg

20190411_131826.jpg

Thanks again to Robert, the caretaker of the mine, who took time away from his lunch break to show us around and instill us with his vast amount of knowledge of the history of the area and the old mining processes in general :clap then we let him get back to his lunch and took a gander around some of the other buildings. Hard to imagine what life must have been like way back when ... tough gig!!

Once we got down the other side of the pass, the rest of the ride was relatively uneventful, mostly flat until we got back to the highway. We made another stop at Stovepipe Wells for a cold one and some mandatory souvenir shopping, then back to base camp to start packing up what we could before the long drive home the following day.

20190411_190455.jpg

This was an amazing adventure and one of my top three Dual Sport rides. Thanks BA for putting it all together for us, and I'm looking forward to the next one!! :beer
    liv2day and Muscongus like this.