6 Days on Mallorca

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by stollenvernichter, Mar 27, 2019.

1. stollenvernichter

stollenvernichter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Mallorca 2019 -000 by Michael, auf Flickr

Withdrawal symptoms require short-term action. Where is it possible to drive a motorcycle for a week in late winter? What about the weather in Mallorca? One week of sun, daytime temperatures around 15 degrees, single digit at night, sounds tempting.

In the last decades I was often on the island, mostly on two wheels, but not motorized. Local knowledge is available, all winding paths through the Tramuntana mountains and almost all small, paved Cami through the interior of the island are known. For the unscheduled rest and a little adventure there are Wikiloc tracks.

Who equates Mallorca with Ballermann, party people and lot of boose, has no idea and misses a very beautiful islet. Yes, the reduction is already correct, because the Balearin is not that tall, has lots of hills in the right places and is slim and slender in the middle section.

To explore the island by motorcycle and the most beautiful routes one week is enough. Of course, what you rent depends on your own preferences. Harley riders will not enjoy off-main routes and the holiday could be in working order. In my opinion, a handy enduro bike with 50 hp is the ideal device. But also a big GS should go, if you have fun wagging it through narrow serpentine. Incidentally, even in Mallorca the maximum speed is 90 km/h, but this is no problem, long, straight roads are the exception.

You can drive to Mallorca on your own axis and ferry, but that makes no sense for a one week stay, besides of winter. The island is one great tourist spot. However, despite or because of the Internet, it is not so easy to book something suitable at short time. Means, I want to go to Port de Soller, it is centrally located in the mountains, no concrete tourist castles, quiet. Accommodation relatively cheap, beautiful finca with pool, spa etc. is superfluous in February, if you spend the whole day on the bike, happy if the Sundowner beer goes down faster than the sun. I booked the Hotel Miramar, with a bit stomachache, I could remember, that it was a dump more than 20 years ago. Let us surprise.

Renting a motorcycle on Fridays and riding on Monday is not easy either. I get one in Palma at Rent Zoom, a Yamaha 660 for 60 EUR / day. Prices like in New Zealand. [​IMG]

Departure

Plane leaves at 5.50 clock from this city north of Cologne. No one wants to drive me to the airport in the middle of the night, don't now why. Means, the penultimate, for safety reasons, train arrives at 1.30 clock at the airport. In Dubai there are at least sleeping chairs, not there. Countless sleep attempts later, check in, get in, doze in, wake up, get out.

9.30 clock, Palma, call Moto Renta, once shuttle please. The landlord lives on the still orphaned party mile, outside is the black Yamaha. Looks neat, tires are profiled, the brakes brake and the spring elements are dry despite the bar next door.

No, that's not the store.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -159
    by Michael , on Flickr

The owner speaks German. Nope, have my own clothes with me. A top case? Not in this life. In revenge the top case holder obstructs the luggage transport, the mechanic helps out with a long tensioning belt. I screw on the GPS holder, the kindly landlord quickly install a power connection.

Now you could start driving. But a little Japanese engineer was thinking, ignition locks that you can easily turn are boring. Let's build the part so you have to turn it and press the key down. Thanks for that.

Palma to Soller are about 30 km, not far to the hotel and bed. Maybe I should have switched the GPS better on car mode, which also knows highways. So I drive for practice purposes through Palma, but soon enjoy almond-flowered trees and a long straight direction tunnel to Soller. The hole in the mountain is now free, that's good. Behind the mountain, the valley of Soller opens and the port is conveniently located on the sea. The hotel is located directly on the promenade. The moto stays in the moto parking lot, also conveniently.

[​IMG]Mallorca 2019-112 by Michael , on Flickr

Check in again. The twenty-year impression is not confirmed, seems to be freshly renovated. Unpacking, a little nap, a power nap would be good, and then a little drive round the house.

When I wake up at 6:00 clock, ok, no round, so the cozy part of the evening is heralded and dedicated to food intake. No problem, one place joins the other. But it is low season, so some have still closed or only open at day for the tourist train visitors. Sometimes is good to have little choices. Good was the quality in the Es Racó D'Es Port. A light down jacket is not a bad choice in winter at Mallorca. Buenas noches.
  2. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  3. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    In. I love Mallorca... My last tour of it was in an auto :(
  4. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    1. Nothing new in the West

The good thing about fresh night-time temperatures is that you can sleep with no remorse, because pleasant driving temperatures are starting around 10.00 o'clock. Speaking about sleep, in southern countries, the heater is always an issue. In the hotel they had installed a "air conditioning" over the door, which could also supply warm air. Disadvantage, outgoing air generates noises and that still irregularly, depending on the heat sensation of the control unit, not exactly conducive to sleep.

In wise foresight, I had packed my newly acquired sleeping bag liner. In contrast to the rather simple-knit author, the Sea to Summit Expander Liner is flexibly knit. Means, unlike silk, etc., the part is very stretchy, very comfortable. So I previously heated and snuggled into the bag overnight, perfect.

Breakfast until 10.30 clock, fits. Quality was ok, the typical, uniform offer in this hotel class, supplemented by warm, "English" sausages, etc. Nothing for me, in the morning only warm drinks, positively the juices did not come from a machine.

Nutrient uptake was completed, then dressed up for motorcycling. As an avowed jet helmet fan I take my new bargain Airoh. I like the clear field of view, the advantages of photographing, the food intake is made easier, as the contact with people and at the gas station. Makes me younger too, I hope anyway.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -022
    by Michael , on Flickr

In the case of an accident, the protective effect is less, but there is always something.

Before departure, the vehicle is inspected again. The 660 engine is no match for sportiness, but this engine seemed a bit more tired. The odometer showed approx. 150.000 km. Ok, with the mileage I would be tired too. But was still a bit strange, because the engine sounded still very healthy. The Resolution: I've looked at the home page, the part is throttled to 34 hp. What the hell, but did not bother me a lot during the week.

The beauty of Port de Soller, in three directions it starts immediately curvy and hilly. Today is the West's turn.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -001 Map 1
    by Michael , on Flickr

In the morning exuberance and joy over the lack of traffic, I should remember that in the shady curves, the asphalt is still wet. I drive through Deja to my first stop at the port of the Canonge.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -002
    by Michael , on Flickr

This must be a holiday, sea from the front, sun from above and mountains in the back.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -003
    by Michael , on Flickr

If I get some extra cash, such a cottage in Banyalbufar could not be wrong.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -005
    by Michael , on Flickr

The Torre del Verger is slightly dilapidated and actually closed, but this does not bother some tourists.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -006
    by Michael , on Flickr

The tower cat bothers less.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -007
    by Michael , on Flickr

At the Cala de Estellencs everything is still silent.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -009
    by Michael , on Flickr

Away from the coastal road, there aren't many side roads, but here is a view of Estellencs and a British long-distance hiker.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -012
    by Michael , on Flickr

In the meantime, the sun has also made the damp areas disappear, apparently also the non-existent other road users.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -013
    by Michael , on Flickr

The Ma-10 heads inland

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -014
    by Michael , on Flickr

missed the sea.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -015
    by Michael , on Flickr

After Andratx, the bend is made towards Sant Elm, the western point of Mallorca, with a view of La Dragonera.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -018
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -016
    by Michael , on Flickr

There's nothing going on in Sant Elm, that's worth a longer break.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -020
    by Michael , on Flickr

Again the old man and the sea.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -022
    by Michael , on Flickr

Before this feels like holiday, take off, refuelling in Andratx, the fuel cap is designed like the ignition key, crap.

Fortunately, the road builders of the MA 1031 have laid a new little dress over their curves.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -023
    by Michael , on Flickr

Turning round to Es Capdella,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-024
    by Michael , on Flickr

the route to Galilea offers the old surface, but the old curves still inspire.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-025
    by Michael , on Flickr

In Galilea, there are always good food and beverages at the top near the church, but apparently not in the middle of a winter week. But driving the curves to Puigpunyent makes you dizzy.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -026
    by Michael , on Flickr

Unfortunately, the Cami is closed at Esporles in the coastal road direction, which gives me a little more km through the valley of Valldemossa, don't complain, before reaching the Sundownder over Soller.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -027
    by Michael , on Flickr

Without sun, a San Miguel at the harbour is not so much fun. Showering, some relaxing music through the head and around 7.00 clock the same restaurant as yesterday, again delicious and friendly service. With cerveza or copa de vino, pan de ajo, starter and main course you are always in the price range between 20 to 30 EUR. But eating well on vacation is part of the game.

The GPS Track: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsess...43D1FBFEF57DE4E9D.fe3?fileId=enqovntglhzigcdt
    B10Dave, N-Id-Jim, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  5. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    gorgeous!
  6. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    2. Canyonrider

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -028 Map 2 by Michael , on Flickr

10.30 clock, an Ironman armor that will dress automatically would be nice, but will probably take a while until it is ready for series production. As a reward, the sky is blue again, the Yamaha starts and on the small, fine side line MA 2124 I'm heading to the driveway to the Puig Major.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -030 by Michael , on Flickr

The fog slowly dissolves over the valley of Soller.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -029
    byMichael , on Flickr

The cause of the fog does not seem to be quite clear, because next to me hold's a Benz convertible, an elderly lady speaks to me in English, I should please report that the fog is not natural, but from house fire or other sources of fire. Did not seem to be amused about it.

At the junction I turn left and follow a few bends and a straight line, please don't do this in the main season,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-031 by Michael , on Flickr l

later reached the Mirador de ses Barques. In Spain Mirador stands for a view point, in this case on my vacation spot.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -032
    by Michael , on Flickr

The well-developed track attracts the race faction, the Mirador seems to be the applause curve. Something which is quickly banned in Germany, plaques are placed in Spain, for those who do not race anymore.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -033 by Michael , on Flickr

The big rock needs a big tunnel, for motorless two-wheelers, I recommend reasonable lights.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -034 by Michael , on Flickr

A few curves and meters later, you reach the Embalse de Cuber.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -035 by Michael , on Flickr

At the eastern end there are parking lots for excursion and hikers, lazy bikers do only a few hundred meters today. Years ago, things were different. A beautiful path leads past the lake, which winds down to Soller after few small intermediate paved slopes.

[​IMG]_[​IMG]

How do you recognize the difference between English and German hikers? Some call "go for it", the other are not amused. Back to the present, the military has settled on the Puig Major.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -038
    by Michael , on Flickr

the driveway to the peak is impassable and closed.

Continue along the plateau to the Embalse de Gorg Blau.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-039 by Michael , on Flickr

followed by the next tunnel and soon the destination for today is reached, the Coll dels Reis. Who? Better known under the name Sa Calobra, the destination of the gorge and the road. At the Coll, the little house is closed, almost no cars in the parking lot, buses are not on the road and only a few "strayed" racing cyclists. Perfect.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -041 by Michael , on Flickr

curves of any radius are an offer, 700 Hm just fun, compete with any Alpine pass.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -042 by Michael , on Flickr

At the end point the sea and a big gorge wait. There is also one restaurant open, no crowds of other tourist. "Higher" people could use a helmet passing the tunnel access.

[​IMG]_ [​IMG]

The ratio of visitors to pebbles is pleasing low.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -045 by Michael , on Flickr

It is worthwhile to follow the gorge a few hundred meters.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -047
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -048
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -052
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -056
    by Michael, on Flickr

Gulltree

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -058 by Michael , on Flickr

The way back, pleasing free of obstacles, on a narrow route.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -059 by Michael , on Flickr

and bizarre karst formations.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -060 by Michael , on Flickr

A compliment to the street builder .

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -062
    by Michael , on Flickr

The further stretch through the mountains is in the shade and the temperature has trouble to remove the moisture. But this homeowner has difficulties with water procurement.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -065 by Michael , on Flickr

I reach the junction to the monastery of Luc, decide to go south, filling at the only gas station on the coastal road the vehicle and the rider and elated into the Mallorcan lowlands.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -066
    by Michael , on Flickr

At the foot of the mountain, the old Cami have been upgraded to paved "cycle lanes", also ideal for leisurely motorcycling. In February the sheeps are blooming and grazing the trees, or the other way around.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -067 by Michael , on Flickr

Beautiful views.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -069 by Michael , on Flickr

A fast ride through the Orient, so today no pictures.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -070 by Michael , on Flickr

over the orphaned Passo Soller

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -071
    by Michael , on Flickr

home to the beer at Port de Soller. At El Pirata, the evening turns to wine and seafood. Had worse birthdays.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsess...BFC2EAF47D9450B74.fe3?fileId=cgeqcgfloehjblpp
    B10Dave, BillUA, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That looks like a fantastic place to ride:ricky:ricky:ricky
  8. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    3. Coastal Classic

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -072 Map 3
    by Michael , on Flickr

If the road cyclist wants a challenge, he will drive the 90 km from Port de Soller to Cap de Formentor and back. I am afraid my shape is too bad today, I better take the Yamaha. The way to the stopover at the monastery Luc is known from yesterday and was driven in one rush. The location of the monastery fulfilled all the features, far from all, quiet and without other distractions.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -087
    by Michael , on Flickr

The silence is already over

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -073
    by Michael, on Flickr

and apart from the day visitors you can live there and accommodate your traveling companion, but the rooms are very simple.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -081
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -083
    by Michael , on Flickr

There is not much distraction, only the monastery garden is colorfully

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -074
    by Michael, on Flickr

or not.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -076
    by Michael , on Flickr

At least one pool with heavenly lifeguards.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -077
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -079
    by Michael , on Flickr

I do not have a green thumb and already have a place to stay, so I head eastwards.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -088
    by Michael , on Flickr

Just before the bay of Pollenca, the driving fun stops and a few minutes straight follow up the turns to the Coll Antonio Parietti and Mirador des Colomer. The viewing platforms are located on a rock spur, down to the water surface it should be so 200 m.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -090
    by Michael , on Flickr

You have a first view towards Cap Formentor, but for better view climb the road opposite the Coll to the Talaia dAlberutx.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -093
    by Michael , on Flickr

Too bad the cottage is a bit in need of renovation.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -091
    by Michael , on Flickr

Formentobles Panorama.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -094
    by Michael , on Flickr

The rest of the way to the Cap is also formentoble.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -098
    by Michael , on Flickr

A quick cap Photo

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -096
    by Michael , on Flickr

and the way back offers always different prospects.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -099
    by Michael , on Flickr

Take the second exit at the last roundabout in Pollenca, switch OFF all main roads and ON the shortest route in the GPS. It takes you at the edge of the Tramuntana mountains following the little Cami.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -100
    by Michael , on Flickr

Well shaded

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -101
    by Michael , onFlickr

or brutally exposed under the sun.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -102
    by Michael , on Flickr

Again the very popular almond trees.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -104 by Michael , on Flickr

If you turn right

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -107
    by Michael , on Flickr

or it does not look so oriental.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -108
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -109
    by Michael , on Flickr

The Orient is known to be a little bit bigger .... Endspurt.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -110
    by Michael , on Flickr

At the end of the day, as always, the local criticism. I wanted to be a little more economical and visited the pizzeria Roma. Pizza ok, beer selection good. The garlic sauce was probably carried only along the tuber and the lemon cream only leads to a sour burp.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsess...BFC2EAF47D9450B74.fe3?fileId=oxfjnyfzwksyyubr
    klaviator, B10Dave, BillUA and 2 others like this.
  9. alexdf

alexdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One year living in the Port of Soller (at naval base ;-) ) Thanks for pics! you make me travel 20 years back in time!!! The infamous pass of "Coll to Soller", the Torrent de Pareix, many bars of port of Soller. The road to "Puig Major", highest peak of the island...
    A little paradise hidden in the mediterranean sea!
  10. Pramus

Pramus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Michael!
    Thank You for this ride report and your fine pictures.
    Brought me nice memories to October 2012 when I had been for one week on "Malle" with my son. We rented 2 Yamaha XT 660 too ....
    You wrote:
    Ha ha !
    In 2012 the Yamaha still had all 48 pony's ... must have lost some the during last 7 years :bore. In 2012 this bike had approximately 48.000 Km and performed very well.
    For comparisson:
    Mallorca 2012-75.jpg

Your pic (screenshot):
    Screenshot 2019 -159.png

Greetings, Pramus
    Bors likes this.
  11. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the "old" comparsion, the XT 660 is a reliable bike, so many different riders, so many Kilometers.
  12. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    4. The Two Towers

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -111 Map 4
    by Michael , on Flickr

Again holiday stress, again motorcycling. Or with the old Siemens tourist train to Palma and a city tour? No, not. Although, everyone should buy a train ticket once, the ride through the mountains is beautiful and has a lot of nostalgic flair.

[​IMG]
    Majorca 2019 -112
    by Michael , on Flickr

South of the Tramuntana Mallorca is rather flat terrain, with a few "terrain highlights", usually provided with sacred buildings. The morning should start nice, heading back to the Orient. In the spring through the mountains

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -113
    by Michael, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -114
    by Michael , on Flickr

All senses on the street,
    [​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -115
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -116 by Michael , on Flickr

The center of the island has its charms, already been documented, today no difference. On the way to Puig Magdalena.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -117a
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -117
    by Michael , on Flickr

On the Puig Magdalena.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -118
    by Michael , on Flickr

Inca city with Puig Major

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -119
    by Michael , on Flickr

Peace and silence are gone, plenty of small Spaniards make the area unsafe.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -120
    by Michael , on Flickr

At the top there is a good restaurant, next time. I continue to the next highlight. From the net I had a quad tour in the area on the GPS, so the sometimes winding course. The tracks all looked good, but seemed too grainy for my front tire to have fun, next time more knobbies. I prefer to stay with the small, asphalt Cami.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-1222
    by Michael, on Flickr

Except Oranges, there is also an interesting museum here https://www.mallorca-experte.net/els-calderers/ , which closes in the winter at 16.00 clock.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -123
    by Michael , on Flickr

The next "tower" in view.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -124
    by Michael , on Flickr

On the Sant Salvador.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -125
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -126
    by Michael , on Flickr

Later this year, this is the holly mountain of cyclists.

[​IMG]

In the south it is not far to the sea.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -127
    by Michael , on Flickr

I'll take a break and then head for the descent.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -128
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -129
    by Michael , on Flickr

The way back brings me a few bad roads, such a hassle.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -130
    by Michael , on Flickr

Actually, there should be three "towers" today, but Randa https://www.mallorcaexperten.de/kloster-randa was a victim of my bad time management or the appointment with Mr. San Miguel at the home port. The fourth would have been the Castell Alaro https://www.mallorca-experte.net/castell-d-alaro/ . Highly recommended, but only in light hiking clothes. In the evening there were no experiments and I went again into the hands of pirates.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsess...5C7188EE120128D32.fe1?fileId=txenbyutkuzvqqqr
    eaglescan, klaviator and KneeDrachen like this.
  13. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Wow, really like your story telling ways. Wonderful pictures, thanks for the hard work to do this report. Cheers from Canada
  14. Kebabmonster

Kebabmonster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some great pics there, and love your RR, thanks for posting
  15. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    5. A Lunch with a view

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -131 Map 5
    by Michael , on Flickr

Today a relaxed round through the west. It is better to stay at the coastal road, a long way down or hard rocks are bad alternatives.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -132
    by Michael , on Flickr

in Deja burning wood or only the morning fog?

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -134
    by Michael , on Flickr

The port of Valdemossa is always worth a visit,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -142
    by Michael , on Flickr

but nothing for beginners or height-anxious riders.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -136
    by Michael , on Flickr

And, do we like Mallorca?

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -137
    by Michael , on Flickr

My Icelandic travel companion and island tester: Of Course, just behind New Zealand.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -138
    by Michael , on Flickr

Even at the uphill, don't leave the road, the little rock wall is only to be seen as a recommendation.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -140
    by Michael , on Flickr

It's weekend, the two-wheel traffic increases, at the gas station before Valdemossa a lot of old BeEmWeh and Duckatie waiting for attention. In addition, the engines roar from the south. However, this is a car mountain race event. Therefore, the road is closed to the valley and according to the village Sheriff, it is a longer walk to the action. Too warm to hike, so I deliver boring photos from Valdemossa.

For example, 100 years old electric cars,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -143
    by Michael , on Flickr

almost vintage, note the winter gloves .

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -146
    by Michael , on Flickr

could be already 10 years old, swap Yamaha for KTM.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -145
    by Michael , on Flickr

Village Impressions

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -147
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -149
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -153
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -156
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -157
    by Michael , on Flickr

So I drive the coastal road and turn left on the route to Capdella. Well known, only the other way around. The traffic is much lower, only a convertible from Munich comes across. Always keep right, dodging can be tough.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -158
    by Michael , on Flickr

At the weekend the Cafe Sa Placa in Galilea is open. Luckely I get a chair on the terrace, surrounded by locals.

The view is very delicious,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -161
    by Michael , on Flickr

the salad too.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -160
    by Michael , on Flickr

Could not be more beautiful, except for a little "I'm not German" moment. A German, older racing cyclist enters the scene, sees the full cast, roars "bed changes" and leaves again. I put on my best Spanish face and devote myself again to my salad.

On the way back on the swinging MA 1016, the mood improves again,

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-163
    by Michael , on Flickr

on the roadside standing three KTM enduros, seems to be the Palma motorsport area. Only two more tunnels and I walking at the home harbor shore. Today, stylish in the hotel "lounge area" at the waterfront, sipping a copa wine, listen to various musicians from the playlist and watch the Spanish bustle. In the evening, visiting the bar Alabatros, delicious grilled sardines and a well tuned pa amb oli. At the hotel the flat screen made a small bang and breathed his life out. Ok, no evening movie, doesn't matter, the sea air makes you tired and leads to an unfamiliar early bedtime.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsess...2380FA75E033E6F19.fe1?fileId=lpwuelnldlewpwbk
  16. malloy

malloy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful, Stollen - looks like a great trip. Thank you for sharing these great photos!
  17. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    6. Through the green heart of darkness

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -164 Map 6
    by Michael , on Flickr

Last day, finally done. I should take the last day easy, I have my experience, actually ......But there are still the GPS tracks and I remembered the i-prueba-de-orientacion-mallorca-2018-ruta -off one. Orientation , try and be off road sounds nice. From Palma a little twisted route through the island to the north/east coast. This could be easy combined with a return trip through the Tramuntana to Port de Soller.

After fast 18 km south I switch into GPS mode. Seems to be dangerous, once turned wrong and you end up in the cactus desert, so much for your own orientation.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -165
    by Michael , on Flickr

But after the next junction you are already off the road.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -166
    by Michael , on Flickr

A last piece of asphalt and you turn on the Cami Son Mascaro, also called Sin Asphalto.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -167
    by Michael , on Flickr

On the next section, the islanders could not decide and tipped a strange mixture of sand and tar into the terrain.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -168
    by Michael , on Flickr

After that, the road becomes narrower and rocky, the oil flushed through the poor old suspension elements.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -169
    by Michael , on Flickr

Guess what, there are nice dirt roads on Mallorca.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -170
    by Michael , on Flickr

And the middle is beautiful green.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -171
    by Michael , on Flickr

In between, it is even steep, some gravel and rocky, the tour has clearly been driven on a dirt bike.

It does not stop.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -172
    by Michael , on Flickr

Only around Montuiri you come back on asphalt. Unfortunately the recorder did not record the driveway to Randa and I missed it, next time.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -173
    by Michael , on Flickr

A bit of asphalt on the narrow supply roads along the highway, again I turn on dirt roads and luxury entrance.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -174
    by Michael , on Flickr

The Puig de Bonany with its monastery comes in sight. The track actually goes to the left, but the following driveway is to rocky, so I drive straight away.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -175
    by Michael , on Flickr

In order to get back on the track I take advantage of every waterhole.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -176
    by Michael , on Flickr

Before the Puig it is again too steep and grainy for the Yamaha and driver but the bypass to the car-friendly driveway remains sandy.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019-180
    by Michael , on Flickr

Unusually busy place, but it's Sunday. As always wide views into the country.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -178
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -179
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -181
    by Michael , on Flickr

After a nice descent on a paved Cami, I decide against the electronics track, shorten a few dirt roads kilometer, follow then almost roadless the satellite to other donkeys.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -182
    by Michael , on Flickr

Not far and only a few kilometers to go, the last on fine gravel roads to the beach in Son Serra de Marina.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -183
    by Michael , on Flickr

These were the best 130 km on the island. I'm still working on a short, beautiful route to Port de Soller. The GPS "talks" about 90 km, perfect. It also helps with the petrol station search in Muro, consider Spain, Sunday afternoon.

Trough Selva towards the monastery Luc, at the junction towards Soller, through the plateau along the Puig Major, at the downhill two drivers and their cars perform the sport of cold metal deformation. Doesen't matter after that beautiful day, I turn in my lane towards the harbor.

A farewell photo with the almond trees would not be bad, park the Yamaha beside the road. From behind an exhaust roars, I take the eye from the viewfinder and focus two British vintage pieces, one above, one below. First he tried it in Spanish, after the borders were cleared, we changed into his mother tongue. The classic piece on two tires is a Metisse Desert Racer Replica, known from On any Sunday with Steve McQueen. Whether I know the movie, conditionally I answered. After a long fun conversation, shared interests and shared humor, shake hands and good bye.

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -184
    by Michael , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Mallorca 2019 -185
    by Michael , on Flickr

http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/motorcycle/steve-mcqueen-desert-racer/

Showers must wait, last cold beer at the port. Food is taken at Es Racó D'Es Port, buenas noches.

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=2C97E87718B0298AFE275FE8AAA3ACA7.fe2?fileId=hiilewgnhgnlotjc

Departure

6.30 in Mallorca, dark, cold. At 9.15 the plane takes off. On the way to the rental is the airport, before returning the bike, checking in the bag sounds like a good idea. Good thought, the best, as I found out later.

Checked in the luggage, only 10 minutes from the airport to the rental. At 8.00 o'clock I stand at the shop, still no one there, ok, Spain. After ten minutes I pick up the phone, no one there. The key is already in the mailbox, so a taxi might be the solution.

Find out that calling a taxi in Spain is not so easy. Stroll to the beach promenade and ask a friendly Spaniard to get me a taxi. Apparently it is more common to walk to the next taxi rank, which would be about 10 minutes away. Nevertheless, the taxi should come in five minutes. After a quarter of an hour, I allow myself to jog to the taxi rank, motorcycle jackets are warm.

The rank is well filled, so jumped in quickly, the driver still says, si, rapido. Rapido does not always seem to mean fast in Spanish. 8.50, the gate number is no longer on the main scoreboard, great, no matter, I sprint through the security control, yes, you can. Above the confectionery section, the display shows C46, Last Call, through the confectionery, to the C46 it takes 5-10 minutes. In record time, panting and stinking I stand at 9:05 at the gate. Asked if I got lost or miss the right way, a friendly answer doesn't comes in my mind, so my mouth stays soundless.

There is a lot of snow down in the Pyrenees and I'm still wet up here. Holiday would not be bad.

Two days later, the rental owner calls me, apologizes many times. He screwed off the GPS ball joint mount and send it, arrived a week later. After all a friendly Spaniard.

Classic motorcycle days [​IMG]
    B10Dave, JagLite, Bors and 1 other person like this.
  18. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ending to a fantastic ride report!
  19. bingbong

bingbong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely write up, thanks. I had a plan to go to Majorca also this winter but alas it’s not going to happen. One day....
  20. malloy

malloy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic motorcycle days, INDEED! Stunning, Stollen. Reminds me of Ibiza oh so many years ago. Thank you. Respect.