1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

6 Guys, 5 Days, 4 Hot Springs - WILD HOGS BABY!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Leaving tomorrow for an epic 800 mile 5 day off road backcountry tour of Central and Eastern Oregon including the Steens Mountains. Ride report to follow!

[​IMG]
  2. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

4. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Greg! Have fun man!

5. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg - have a great trip. looks like the weather will be perfect huh? we're right behind you leaving on the 17th for Nevada and coming back up through part of your loop. leave some tracks!
  6. TreeManG23

TreeManG23 TreeMan Racing

Oddometer:
    We will be waiting :lurk
  7. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun and take many pics. That looks like a wonderful route.

8. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    We are back. Turned out to be over 900 miles of some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. Lots of pictures and partial truths to share as soon as I get the kinks out of my back! Stay posted!

Greg
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

we roll on monday - very interested in hearing about your trip and the conditions!
  10. brad21

Oddometer:

:ddog

11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    In laws are in town for a few days so access to my computer is a bit limited - actually I'm just being a tease...:rofl
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    That's enough of that. :deal
  13. brad21

Oddometer:
    I demand ONE good picture to tide me over.

That or get rid of the in-laws.:oscar
  14. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Like all really great adventures this one had to begin with a proper planning prefunction. As always, the Horseshoe Tavern in Prineville is the place for the commencement ceremony. Nothing like telling lies in a good old cowboy bar to get the adrenaline going...

Introducing the riders:

On the left, riding a KTM 450 EXC, is "MadDog". On the right, riding a WR426, is "Polo". Note that the names were earned based on certain behavior and events that occured on the ride.
    [​IMG]

This is "Marco". His real name is Mark but Marco seemed more appropriate given the nature of the ride (hot springs) and certain scenes from the recent movie "Wild Hogs". He rides a KLR 650.
    [​IMG]

Also on a KLR 650 is Montana Bob. There was a bet between a few of us as to how many times he would say "Montana". He doesn't know that's why we were taking off our boots in a hurry to keep track.
    [​IMG]

Not pictured is the author (riding a WR 450) because he was too busy taking pictures and counting the "Montanas", and WheelieMan (riding a KTM 450 XRCQFWABCDEFG) because he was attending his daughter's graduation in Portland and wouldn't be joining us until the morning of DAY 1.

Next up...DAY 1.:deal
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 453pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=604 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 453pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 21475" width=604><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 453pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=604 height=18>After a hearty breakfast at the Stafford Inn in Prineville, the crew met up at the staging area ready for the adventure to begin. Pictured, from left to right is the author, aka, "Just Munn It"; Polo, Wheelie Man, Marco, Montana Bob, and Mad Dog.The group, properly MOTOvated, departed the site at 10 am (only an hour behind schedule) heading south from Millican with a destination of Summer Lake Hot Springs.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>
    Trail 50 looking west towards the 3 Sisters. Beautiful day!
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>
    Heading south on trail 40. We'll cross Hwy 20 and head to the Pine Mtn observatory.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>
    Heading down the south side of Pine Mtn. We're all saying, "can you believe we have 4 and a half more days of this?!!!"
    [​IMG]

After dropping off the top of Pine Mtn we duck into EFR for some fun single track. Marco and I are bringing up the rear. Lots of fun playing chase throughout the up and down and back and forth curves...until Marco's left foot drops to the ground. That's when I said, "I hope we don't have 4 and a half more days of this!". Turns out the bolts on his footpeg stripped out. We were able to find the bolts and the peg then proceeded to sweat out our riding gear jerry rigging his peg to his bike with enough strength to carry him through the rest of the whooped out trail. It is amazing what tape, zip ties, and a piece of coat hanger can do.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>
    South end of EFR heading south. This is Mad Dog. I'll explain his nickname later.
    [​IMG]

After EFR we rode SW to take in four important landmarks: Big Hole, Hole in the Ground, and Fort Rock, and Crack in the Ground. Big Hole was nothing more than a long ride around tree infested indentation in the earth. Not sure of it's source but it wasn't that exciting. Hole in the Ground, however, was very cool. Created by a meteor, it is quite an impressive sight. We jonesed our way to the overlook only to find out there was a main road traveled by autos. Anything for an adventure.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

This is looking down the trail into Hole in the Ground. Steeper than it looks. Three of us proceeded on a "controlled fall".

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

At the bottom looking up the trail.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

Leaving the Hole in the Ground by way of two track. If you go there ride in and out on this trail. It is has some serious whoops at the top that are a lot of fun.

At the top on the east side of Hole in the Ground looking east towards Fort Rock.

Mad Dog cruising past Fort Rock.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

A late but not quick lunch stop at one of the best pizza places in Oregon, Froggy's in Christmas Valley. Not quick because everything, including the dough, is prepared to order. Although we were very hungry, five of us could not finish the pizza. Stop there if you get a chance.

And while you're there say hi to Bob. He's the man behind the pizza!

From Christmas Valley the plan was to head south up into the Black Hills on part of OBDR route 5 then, instead of proceeding west to the Fremont Forest, run south down into the Summer Lake valley, meander around the east side of Summer Lake and land in Paisley for food and fuel then a 6 mile run to Summer Lake Hot Spings. Well, that was the plan... Shortly after leaving the pavement out of CV, the Band of Brothers became disbanded. The rule in group touring is you always wait at the intersection you plan to take off the main road until the rider behind you sees you. You take off and he, in turn, waits for the next rider. Simple and easy to follow, right? :deal Leading the group I think I was so excited to get back on the trail after way too much time and way too many calories that I blew right past an important waypoint. Doubling back, I waited impatiently at a gate for the rest of the guys. The longer I waited the more I was convinced that they had already proceeded ahead of me even though I couldn't see any visible evidence of their passing (tracks). After about 15 minutes I decided to roll on and figured I could catch them. Turns out, Wheelie Man thought we were taking the pavement and did not make the turn to head south to the Black Hills. Found out later, it was 15 miles later that he began to wonder where we were. Long story short he ended up out on 395 near Wagontire and spent most of his last leg of the day hoping to make it to Paisley with the fuel he had on board. So, back to the story. I decided to take my time and enjoy the ride down into the valley. What spectacular views! Dropped down to the flats and jonesed my way through and around fence lines. Spent more time going around fenclines than through them. At this point it is getting late and I'm considering my options while at the same time wondering what the others were doing (two of them had GPS units). Period radio checks were unsuccessful. Then a few blips came through and it turns out they had followed the route and were about a half mile away runing around in circles just like I was. We backtracked several miles until we found a main access road. Jumped on that, headed west until we hit 31 then south 29 miles along Summer Lake until we arrive at Summer Lake Hot Springs.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

I was so excited to get off the bike and remove the 2X4 from my behind that I forgot to take pictures of the hot springs, but here's their website: www.summerlakehotsprings.com.

After a quick shower it was 6 miles south to Paisley and the Pioneer Tavern. Another great country bar with great food.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

Day 1 was 200 miles.

Next up, DAY 2

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  16. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    Good story, but the black text is hard to read for old eyes.
  17. brad21

Oddometer:
    Nice.

More please.
  18. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    That was a result of sorting the IMG codes in excel before uploading. Don't know why it happened but I thought the same. I'll see about changing it for the rest of the story.

Stay tuned!
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    The plan for DAY 2 was to proceed south from SLHS to Lakeview, then north and east over the Hart Mtn. Antelope Reserve to Frenchglen. This was 175 miles of either pavement or flat out wide open gravel roads which is why there&#8217;s not a lot of riding pictures. However, some of the best riding of the day was in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Fremont</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Forest</st1:placeType> south of <st1:place w:st="on">Paisley</st1:place> and north of Lakeview. DAY 2 also brought another <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">hot springs</st1:place></st1:City>, see http://oregonhotsprings.immunenet.com/hartmtn.htm.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thought about submerging ourselves WILD HOGS style but decided it would be less risky to go bathing suit clad with the number of digital cameras in the vicinity. By the way, if you haven&#8217;t seen the movie you need to. I hear it is out on DVD August 14.<o:p></o:p>

The road out of the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">hot springs</st1:place></st1:City> east to Frenchglen is long and straight. This was one of those occasions I wished I was riding a KLR! We were able to cover the ground in time to meet the 630 dinner deadline at the Frenchglen Hotel. They didn&#8217;t have room for us to stay (the place was full with a &#8220;birder&#8217;s&#8221; outing) but fed us very well. If you get the chance to stay or eat there be sure to&#8230;it&#8217;s a real treat.<o:p></o:p>
    Back to the birders&#8230;imagine in your mind a group of college professor type&#8217;s sitting around discussing curriculum, biology, and the next conference. There&#8217;s no real emotion or excitement here&#8230;just calm, semi-flat line conversation. Not that there&#8217;s anything wrong with that BUT then roll in a bunch of cross country dirt bike riders! Not knowing what they were all doing there (and there must have been 25 of them) I had to ask. &#8220;We&#8217;re birding,&#8221; was the response. &#8220;What&#8217;s birding?&#8221; &#8220;We look at birds.&#8221; &#8220;So you must have some nice cameras to take pictures?&#8221; &#8220;No, we just come look at them.&#8221; It was like we were speaking two different languages. They probably looked at us with the same disbelief. It was about that time that Wheelie Man showed everyone how he got is nick name by running through several gears on his rear wheel right through town. Nice.<o:p></o:p>
    Did I mention they all drove Subaru wagons? No kidding!

Hot tub out the back of "The Homestead House" at SLHS
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 406pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=541 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 406pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 19228" width=541><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 406pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=541 height=18>[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>Skeleton of a large horned desert rat.
    [​IMG]

We ate like vikings. One of our 2500 calorie meals.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>Wheelie Man in a meadow.
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 406pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=541 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 406pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 19228" width=541><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 406pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=541 height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wild Hogs

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]

A high mountain lake.

This is Mad Dog. The story behind MD is that we would always need to send a shag rider behind him to pick up the material that would fly off his bike: radios, bungee cords, water bottles. If you are ever riding the OBDR and see anything like this, it is probably his. Well MD somehow justified to his wife that he needed a new KTM 450. You would laugh if you heard the whole story but anyway he moves up from a CRF 250X to the KTM. MD is an inseam challenged man and weighs in at 135 lbs soaking wet. So coming to a stop without a spill is rare. Here we catch him on film rolling into the gas station in Lakeview. Of course none of us help him because we are scrambling for our cameras. The age old rule: what happens on the trail stays on the trail, unless you have a digital camera.:rofl

Since we had overindulged in protien and carbohydrates we decided it would be in our health's interest to have some vegetables.

Slabbed out of Lakeview northeast. Here is the entrance to the Hart Mountain Antelope Reserve.

Top of the grade looking SE towards Lakeview.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>Hot springs #2. This is where we ran into an old guy and his young girlfriend. They left when we started talking about having chicken fights. :ymca
    [​IMG]

Frenchglen Hotel.

None of us could figure out what this thing was for so we had to take a picture.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>What a meal!
    [​IMG]

We hot throttled it back to the Steens Mountain Resort where we were staying. Not sure where this horse came from but I gave it a few pats on the neck and the next thing I know she's hanging outside my door, and was still there in the morning.

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Stay tuned...DAY 3 up next. Nasty weather and lots of jonesing it made Day 3 interesting.
  20. brad21

Oddometer:
    :clap