6 weeks 17 750 kilometers Traveling Around Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nevgriff64, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Russ

Russ Let's ride.

Oddometer:
    Well done Nev thanks for sharing.:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  2. HumanOne

HumanOne shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer:
    occassionally Adelaide, South Australia :-)
    I can't believe it :cry

It's over! :(:

What are we going to read now?

I guess it's about time one of us went for another ride :ricky

Dogsbody's out there enjoying himself at the moment, while some of us have to "work" for a living :puke1

Well done Nev! What a monumental ride and a great report. It was worth the wait and the hassling. You have some award-winning photos there too. I've been thinking about getting one of those LCD photo frames, so my pics can always be on a slideshow to keep inspiring me.

Hopefully we'll get over to Melbourne and catch up with you soon. You know you're always welcome at my place too.

Cheers and thanks for the ride :clap
  3. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Simply Brilliant !

Awesome ride dude . . . . . .

Thanks for sharing - was worth waiting for!!!!!!
  4. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

Between you, Claudio and Nev, you've just about convinced me it's time I got out of here for a while. Looking at taking a ride up through Mildura, Broken Hill, corner country, Birdsville, Mt. Isa, Longreach, then back down the GDR all the way to Vic. Looking at maps at the moment...no time frame...just looking at best time of year etc...some time early next year maybe. By then I should have done enough short trips to know more about what I'm doing and what I'm not capable of.
  5. HumanOne

Oddometer:
    Yep! It's gotta be done.

However much time you can afford - go for it!

Wandering about aimlessly for weeks, months, years on end is good for the soul.

:pope :ricky
  6. auRoscoe

auRoscoe Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer:
    Nev thanks very much for posting an awesome ride report, great stuff! :clap

I may have missed it, but did you take time off work or did you leave your job to do the ride?
  7. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    My wife is always nagging me to use sunscreen lotion.. No point trying to convince her I was using it was there?? :lol3
  8. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mercury..

The good wife is recovering well at home after her little off road excersion.. Should be back to normal in a week or two and could have been much worse so we will just book it down to a learning experience and move on.. :thumb

Here`s the link to what happened if your interested..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319932

( it does tend to lose a bit of focus towards the end but that seems to be normal in the Aussie forum..)
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clancy..

The ride reports been a long time in the making and probably harder on me than the ride itself.. I really should have paid more attention in my English class instead of daydreaming about where I would be riding the coming weekend..

Do yourself a huge favour and put a date on the calendar and work everything around that.. Even if it`s in two years time, trust me when I say that time will come around quick enough and you will be heading off on your own adventure.. The key to making it happen also is to tell people about your upcoming trip so that it is locked in and can`t be re-scheduled to another date..

If you don`t have a date to work to then it will keep getting pushed to the next year... I think you will find you have enough skills and knowledge to complete a trip like this now.. Just learn how to tie the air mattress on properly and away you go... :lol3

cheers mate..
  10. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete..

Caught up with Dogsbody today as he was getting new tyres fitted to his immaculately clean 990.. He`s taken a heap of photos on his 6000 odd kilometer travels so far so I think we will be pestering him for the next ride report.. Given his excellent knowledge of the English language, I`m tipping it will be an excellent read ond one not to be missed..

Not wanting to put any pressure on him what so ever... :lol3

That`s a great idea about the LCD photo frame.. Michelle has mentioned getting this ride report made into a coffee table book for my Birthday but that might be another option.. Thanks for the idea.. :thumb
  11. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Doing this ride report has been great and took me back to exactly when those photos where being taken and my thoughts at that particular time.. I could almost say that i`ve traveled around Australia twice now.. :lol3

As far as the job goes... I stopped working just over 9 years ago to look after our first born and haven`t been back since.. I`m a Mr Mum so once I had my wifes permission it was just a matter of working out how the kids would be looked after.. That`s why i`m so greatful to my extended family as without their help, I couldn`t have gone.. Alot of people really had to put themselves out for me while I was away so I now have to work out the best way to repay the favour.. :thumb
  12. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    You will love your time here in Australia Pyrate.. Just make sure you do your homework and pick the right destination as that is the start of Summer and it`s not the best time to be traveling up North due to it being the Wet season..

Temperatures are often in the high 30`s/ low 40 degress C and in some parts often mid 40`s..

Don`t let that put you off as there are other magnificent places to visit where the temperatures are often cooler..

Keep us posted as to what your plans are and maybe even start a thread in the OZ forum for ideas and suggestions on what can be expected and seen.. Good luck mate.. :thumb
  13. bluepoof

bluepoof insert pithy saying here

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Thanks for the awesome ride report. I love Australia and hope to be back someday. :raabia
  14. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Nev :thumb
  15. HumanOne

Oddometer:
    My pics are all stored in a folder on my laptop, but with about 4,500 of them it's not often that I go through them all. When I do take the time to slideshow them, I am mesmerized by them and they take me back to the great time I had. :tb They really give me a burn inside and it makes me yearn for more - that's gotta be a good thing. How many things in life really give us that burn these days?

Probably like yourself, I'm so glad I did my journey when I did. If I hadn't, maybe our friendship might never have been :huh . Made some great lifelong friendships along the way - how great is that! :clap
  16. Schlim

Schlim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super ride report enjoyed reading it all:deal,so when's the television seris coming out?:lurk, or are you going straight to DVD:lol3:lol3.
  17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose StuffThisI'mOff4aRide

Oddometer:
    Very special Nev...Thanks for letting us be a part of it.
    Glad the boss is comming good.
  18. pRICK

pRICK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huge wind from the east the other day, trees down everywhere. Just worked out it was the collective sigh of relief from the inmates when you finished your report.
    Thanks for the above advice, I just realised I have only done 2500 k's in 10 month's, (stuck in the work rut) so we have booked holidays and doing another lap on as many back roads as we can. Great report and good to hear SWMBO is OK.

Rick
  19. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report nev!! good to see parts of Oz we all don;t get to see....yet :evil
  20. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    so far the plan is to fly into Melbourne, hire a bike from Garners and ride the great ocean road. Then head back east, north of Melbourne and a lazy route around and thru the Snowy River region back to the coast. Ride the coast heading north with a few side trips (using Hema's motorcycle altas with 100 rides marked out). Stopping to see friends in Sydney, South West Rocks, Nerang and Brisbane :kumbaya . Heading north up the coast as far as weather and time permit. I don't want to be really on a schedule but also want to be informed so no time is wasted. About 25 days available to me for the trip.

I will start a thread, but wanted to give more detail of the route to get better ideas along the way rather than odds and ends. I am still trying to work out some logistics but will get with it soon. Posts like yours definitely inspire...:ricky Thanks for the reminder. I am really looking forward to it. My goal is actually to relocate at some point so this trip is also a scouting trip.