6 weeks 17 750 kilometers Traveling Around Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nevgriff64, Nov 29, 2007.

1. PeterJenks

PeterJenks Aussies Rule!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nev, an incredible read.

Thought i was homesick before, you've confirmed it now!

21 years living away from Ballarat, been around Hwy One twice, (by car and bus), yet dream of a journey like yours. Thanks for taking us along.

Peter.
  2. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Well worth the wait Nev. Top ride and Report
  3. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you need a hand in Melbourne with anything...logistics, bed, workshop or whatever when you get here, just get in touch. I'm close to the airport. Sorry for the hi-jack Nev
  4. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report......I lived in Exmouth in 70/71...has really grown since then.

Thanks
  5. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind. :rayof
  6. klrmtn

klrmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for taking me along. Never been to Australia, but it is one of the few countries I would like to visit in my lifetime. Your trip definelty encourages me to ride more at home and plan for a big trip like this. Thanks.
    :clap :clap
  7. clarky

clarky 05' 640 Adv

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the final touches to the trip report, great job :clap

Have you worked out the total fuel consumption, and cost of running the bike over the trip.....or you really don't want to think about it?

Great report :norton

cheers
  8. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so nev, whats next?
  9. WnRn

WnRn Left right out

Oddometer:
    nevgriff64, thank you for one of the best ride reports here on ADV. Your photos are so good.

Whats the next big ride for you???
  10. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm looking forward to Nev's ride report from his trip to Tasmania...:lol3

No seriously Nev , a brilliant ride report with so many great photos.

Very well done mate , I hope I get the chance to do a long distance trip like that one day. :thumb

Glad to hear Michelle is still on the improve.
    Hope you get to do the same trip one day with Michelle , on his and hers 990 KTM's. :evil
  11. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:
  12. AUS CRUZER

AUS CRUZER Lets Cruz

Oddometer:
    Love ya work Nev.:clap
  13. micq

micq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a small world Nev , the grader towing the fuel tank, van ,landcruiser belongs to my brother in law .
  14. sprale

sprale Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer:
    A few lads did the trip on Vespas a few years back and are going to do it again, Right Around Australia. Give it a look.
  15. clangers

clangers Love a drink

Oddometer:
    Best ride report EVER.:ricky
  16. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    Beeming,

u serious about this thingy about Bob Tails and snakes ? or is it jsut a myth?

NEV - :clap Xellent Report!

17. dancin yohanson

dancin yohanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best part about alzheimers disease is you can hide your own Easter eggs..And you meet new and interesting people every day..
  18. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thought i`d revisit this thread after 12 months has passed since my trip began.. Where has that time gone?? :patch

Thanks for such high praise FUTURE, glad you enjoyed the ride report mate.. :thumb As far as my next big ride.... I`m keen to spend a week or so exploring Tasmania in March 09 so i`ll be working towards this one..

Thanks for the kind words Scotty.. :thumb

I`ll make sure I call in for a coffee when i`m in your neighbourhood mate.. :wink:

Hi Scott

Will we be seeing another blue/orange 950 doing a similar trip in the not too distant future mate?? Congrats on the purchase of the new bike.. :clap

Hi micq..

He certainly has a magnificent office out there.. :thumb

I`m glad you enjoyed the ride report Clangers.. I enjoyed doing the report as it brought back many great memories with every photo posted.. There are many brilliant ride reports here on ADVRider and a small part that makes it such a great place to hang out in.. :clap

Hi Siva..

You have the perfect long distance bike in your garage mate.. So when are you heading off on your own lap of Aus?? :wink:

Hi Clarky..

I haven`t sat down to work out costs as yet mate.. I have kept a log for the most part so when I get a bit of spare time, I might see what costs where involved and how much fuel was used.. With the ever increasing fuel costs at the moment, i`d say it would have cost nearly half again if I started the trip this year.. Might be an interesting exercise to work it all out..

I doubt I would have much change left out of $4000 - $5000 and maybe cost even more.. I could have saved quite a bit if I had camped out more but if I felt like staying in a room, then I just found something that wasn`t over the top expensive wise.. Apart from Broome that was rediculously priced and all I could get, the rest seemed quite good value..

One thing that has surprised me is that this year has slipped by very fast since the trip.. For all those out there that have wanted to do a long trip similar to mine but haven`t quite got around to it...... put a date on the Calendar and it will give you something special to work towards, the time will come around very quickly or another year will get away if you don`t organise it now.. Enjoy life and do something that you really want to do for yourself.. :thumb
  19. jtully

jtully TassieTiger

Oddometer:
    Hi Nev,
    Just wanted to say thanks so much for an amazing ride report.

I really, really enjoyed reading it. It inspired me to see more of this amazing country that we live in. :D

My Bro and I circumnavigated Tassie over New Years on our mini trip around Aus.

Hoping to do the real trip next year.

Cheers

JT
  20. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing:clap
    Yoni