6 Weeks on a 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ms. Chiff, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    because i will be buying a KLR250 soon, and was wondering if it was capable of touring...

obviously you have shown us that it is... in spades. Thanks for taking us along on your ride... and doing the hard work for us.:clap

If you ever make it to the east coast i would be honored to buy you a beer.

scott in NY
  2. Algentry1

Algentry1 no longer valid

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting my wife and I go to Sipapu with you! (in our minds) I rode there in 2001 on my 18 year old Beemer from Oklahoma City. We just spent a week (with our VW) in a cabin in Pagosa Springs this past summer. I just spent the last two months stocking up on camping gear for use on my motorcycle. Your report of your adventure has been a liberating experience. I have a Wee Strom now, and it's rarein' to go. I can't express what this report means to me, as I have been retired for 10 years and have only been on a few short rides out of Oklahoma. I'll be back to Sipapu. Also, try Holy Ghost Canyon, Just north of Pecos, NM if you get in the area again. You tell a heck of a yarn.

Here's to you! :clap:freaky
    Al Gentry
  3. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for encouraging my wife to (at least conceptually) be ready for some more serious riding. Her XT-225 has been excellent for her so far, probably not too much fun at high speed on major highways but who wants to take those routes anyway? Not me....
  4. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Yup, gonna sit my wife down and have her read through this one as well...gotta get her excited for riding her TW200...!
  5. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Indeed, it's way more fun riding with your spouse on his/her own bike than going 2-up... at least for me it is. Last year was her first year riding, and it's been a blast.

Just go easy on her, don't scare away the women folk ;-)
  6. zrod

zrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sweet Al, pretty rare to find someone else retired, so close to Lake ThunderBird in Oklahoma, we should take a ride sometime!:D
    Pam and I were lucky enough to actually be able to ride Sipapu with this fine young lady Rebecca.:deal

[​IMG]

What freaked us out is what a few have commented about Rebecca's level of adventure spirit!
    She didn't ride like she was a cute lil girl a million miles away from home and needed the bike to take her.:wink:
    Favorite part of the whole trip was when me Pam and Rebecca waited for John and his boy to check out a trail into the Abyss up a mountain off FS 76.
    We waited for a few minutes or so for them to come back down and tell us how bad it was.
    To me, that meant problems!:eek1
    Rebecca was chompin hard at the bit to go and finally talked Pam and I into it.
    She dissappeared up the rough, narrow and steep hill out of sight, I took off with Pam behind me.
    I remember tellin Pam that I guess Rebecca forgot she has to ride that Sherpa home!:eek1
    Sheesh, I roost Hoss up the loose climb to find Rebecca and I think John had both tipped over on the steep hill, so I stopped.

[​IMG]

I look back for Pam wonderin how she was doin.
    She had her eyes on the trail and noticed I had stopped a bit late.
    I could see the panic in her eyes, she hasn't ever had to stop on anything that steep and it totally shorted her out.
    She catapulted off her Sherpa and rolled down the hill a ways, and slammed her little Sherpa to the ground.
    I had a hellova time gettin big Hoss turned around, had Pam hold him up while I took her bike down.

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of Pam gettin a shot of Rebecca gettin a shot of me takin Hoss back down the hill once I finally manage to turn him around.

[​IMG]

A photo of Pam all pissed off cuz she tipped over and hurt her shoulder first day out.

[​IMG]

Her comes Rebecca, no worse for the wear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of Hoodlums that won't pass a chance to ride with Rebecca.

[​IMG]

Great memories Rebecca, hope to see you out there somewhere again someday!

Rod and Pam
  7. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Hey Rod and Pam :wave

Thanks for posting those pics, they're great. :thumb I had a great day riding with you. Hope to see you out there in '08. :webers
  8. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:nod
  9. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol.
  10. qxzlool

qxzlool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! I'm sorry I didn't get to this report earlier, but at least I found it now. This an incredibly beautiful shot! It makes my heart ache to be out on the road...

Some day...:deal
  11. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish-it-was-summer-bump
  12. panayoti

panayoti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report and photos, inspirational ! I have had thoughts of selling my bike this winter. I got in a rut last summer riding the same old roads. I need to hit some new turf !

thanks again
  13. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    NO DOUBT!!! It's funny, I'm in hot pursuit of a VW Camper right now. Flying out to Portland this Sunday to take a look at another one. It's almost as if I believe, somehow, that summer will get here sooner, the sooner I get a bus. :lol3 Pretty silly, but I'm so excited I can hardly see straight. :D

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else...

Hi-Top VW Westfalia, little trailer, KL250, KDX50, son...

Open-ended "wander"...
  14. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gosh that sounds great. Your son is a lucky guy.
  15. zrod

zrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure rig that will be, diverse and economical!
    Share photos when you can so summer will come for us too!:clap
    Rod
  16. Nodaclu

Nodaclu Bike Swapper Supreme

Oddometer:
    Oh man!!! I SO miss my 1970 VW Westfailia camper that I had. I took that thing from Stockton, CA to Raleigh, NC in 1992. Best trip of my life.

I need to get back to that lifestyle and mindset. But it would be scary to own one here in Vegas. Mine wasn't happy at ANYTHING over 60mph, and that will get you flat-out run over in this town.

Wish I had a scanner right now - I've got some great old pics of that bus.
  17. thestickman

thestickman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Also nice to see a 250cc bike in a ride report. One of these days I hope to take my Virago out for an extended ride. My problem is, I forget to get out the camera.

Ride safe :D
  18. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
  19. Flying Trash Can

Flying Trash Can Occasionally Unhinged.

Oddometer:
    this looks like a scene from the evil dead. You know the one where Karen is trying to get out of the cellar.
  20. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Just did. :tb

And yeah, how about a PDX meet-up Sunday evening, some place in Portland. :beer If I get this bus, Sunday can be the start of the next chapter.

I was thinking maybe I'd start a new ride report for this next "trip" right after I get a rig. Just start it, then come back to it as things move along, then have a semi-ongoing report while we're on the road, or trail, rather than write it when I get back. Don't know though, it'd probably suck me right in, and four months later I'll find myself standing there in front of my orals committee jabbering on about some nonsense... the pro's and cons of having a rig set up for gas vs. bio-diesel... air- vs. water-cooled... am I really willing to commit to pulling a trailer, but if not, then what? ...can I really make solar work? ...spend the $$ and buy a "canned" 3rd grade curriculum, if so, which one, create my own? ...where will I keep the rig while I'm riding while Alex is at his dad's for another 6 weeks? bla bla bla... and so on, and so on...

I can just see it now. :bueller:scratch

Four months. I need to stay focused for four more months.