6 Weeks on a 250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ms. Chiff, Sep 12, 2007.

1. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    You don't need a trailer. Just get this, and put the bikes inside. :D

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZEcG7Nw6ur8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
  3. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    I wonder how I could make a trailer-hitch mounted platform work on the bus. Two small bikes, probably under 400lbs total weight. I've heard conflicting opinions about which way would put the least stress on the bus.

I was thinking a platform, then a rack with a cargo bin on top of the bus for gear and what-not.

I will, thanks Carl.
  4. flying_hun

flying_hun Moral Hazard

Oddometer:
    Along with many others, I am a fan. You've done it all exactly right as far as I can tell. Took the minimum bike and the unfancy gear and opened yourself to the road and to new experiences and to all the people who were happy to help you along the way. A very pure expression of the adventurer. Well done!

Mighty fine looking boy you got there too.

Best wishes in completing your masters degree (I did the same when I had small kids - who are in their 20's now). Corvallis and Arcata both seem like fine places to me. My sister works in Corvallis, and lives a bit north of there. Very nice town. We try to get up to Arcata on Memorial Day weekend for the Kinetic Sculpture race. An experience that is pretty unique.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,
  5. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Wow, Awesome trip, Awesome write-up. A true inspiration to a n00b like me.

I spent the better part of my work day reading every word and examining every picture. :clap
  6. hoozit

hoozit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stumbled upon this a couple days ago (new guy here) and spent the time I had left at my now former work place reading your RR :D. I'm trying to figure out now how to go about taking off for some time :scratch. Great stuff :bow.
  7. Flameout

Flameout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm right where I'm suppose to be all the time!
    Good Lord Rebecca!!! GREAT read and LOVE the pics!!! Like you said in the beginning, it's a pain in the ass to do a ride report, but I'm thankful you did! Just amazing!!! Thank you! Walt
  8. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The lunar eclipse on my way back from Portland tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. demenshea

demenshea 1% Angel 99% Hooligan

Oddometer:
    CA Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Range...woohoo!!
    :bow:bow:bow Rebecca!! Well done!!

I just made it back to this thread to see the photo finish and am so impressed and inspired. You have successfully balanced your spirit of adventure with that "serious" job of motherhood and had several good laughs along the way! I commend you! You had me LOL on numerous occasions with you wordsmithing, and in awe of the awsome photos, what a fun read!!

Good luck with school and life, I have no doubt that you will continue to be a mom all the kids want to get to know! :thumb

I'll shoot you a pm when i am next in PDX...my oldest son lives there as does my mother and sister. I like riding up each and every summer avoiding the obvious, but sticking to paved. What a wus...:lol3
  10. bavarian

bavarian bavarian

Oddometer:
    Just realized that I am bit late to the show. What a great thread!! Thanks so much for taking the time to take us along!
  11. PSYCLOPS

PSYCLOPS Diduseedasizeofdatchickin

Oddometer:
    bump
  12. Milkcow

Milkcow n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just finished reading this for the third time and enjoy it more every time. Just want to give it a "bump" so any new readers will not miss it. Thanks Ms. Chiff for the great RR.
  13. MartinDKtm

MartinDKtm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Milkcow, I just read all that report because of the bump. Rebecca you just making me want to go on another solo trip. All the feelings you where describing sometimes had bring back lots of memories from my first solo trip that ended short on my way back home. (2hours from home) A car cut my lane and I crash in it at 60mph...totaled the bike and had a broken femur, lost the camera will all the pictures of the trip. Loosing the pictures was the hardest part of the crash...not being able to share your memories. I still cry about it sometimes. But you gave me the kick to do this exact same trip again to take and bring my pictures and memories back to share them.

Martin
  14. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the crash and lost pics, but you got it right -- ride the ride again, or a completely different ride.

I'm getting dangerously close myself to taking off for another summer ride. :D

[​IMG]
  15. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

We're ready when you are. :D
  16. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yep, ready and waiting! :lurk
  17. MartinDKtm

MartinDKtm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did different and bigger trip already but I just keep thinking about the one that failed. I will do it again someday.
  18. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, and thanks for the bump.:freaky
    Dont know how I missed it the 1st time around.
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still one of the best rides I've ever read about. In my dreams, I want to wander North America endlessly sleeping on the ground.
  20. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    We become closer when we know more about one another. You have presented a fine ride report and personal story. thank you