600 Mile Report, 2020 Vespa GTS HPE

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Rick G, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dropped my scoot off this afternoon for the 600 mile service and here is my report.

A little background, I am a 65 with about 25 years of motorcycle experience, mostly on BMW's with a few Triumphs, a Ducati and a few others thrown in. Current stable is an 11 BMW R1200R and 13 Triumph Bonneville SE. Got my first 125cc Chinese scoot about 10 years ago. Upgraded to a low mileage 09 GTS 250 Super a few years later. From what I remember I loved that scoot, but during a period of MBS acting up, I sold it to add a Dual Sport to the garage, downsizing to 2 bikes.

Fast forward to the present, DR650 is gone replaced by my current Bonnie. But there is a void that I miss. Yes, the scooter!! Specifically a Vespa. For about a year I had been on the lookout for a low mileage GTS with abs and tc. However as my 65th Birthday is approaching, I decided, what the heck, and bought a brand spanking new Touring model.

In the showroom after signing the deal.

[​IMG]

As winter was approaching, I was on the fast track to get my 600 mile service before winter sets in. FYI I fall into the break in camp as ride it like you will ride it to break in without being stupid. It bounced easily off the rev limiter on the way home during a short freeway jaunt. This thing is smooth and sneaky fast. My initial impression was that it was a little bit better in every way than what I remembered my 250 Super was. The engine is smoother making 70 fill like 60 and 50, 40. The suspension is more comfortable even over bumps than what I remembered.

During one of my first rides.

[​IMG]

Along the way I have decided to add some flair with Italian stripes using reflective pinstriping.

[​IMG]

And I added Race numbers which are a bit subdued (on purpose) which reflect that it was my 65th Birthday Gift.

[​IMG]

And did up a helmet to match!

[​IMG]

Back to the scooter. I am impressed with the fueling of the engine. No hiccups even at walking speeds or tight u-turns. Very nimble handling that is starting to feel very intuitive, which is what you want. I am beginning to learn how to maximize handling in corners by moving forward on saddle, leaning forward to load up the front suspension and tire. Easily flicks from side to side.

The only area not very impressed with are the brakes. Now of course I am used to the brakes on my Beemer which are nothing short of incredible, even encouraging me to upgrade the brakes on my Bonnie. The front brake does not have very good feel. You squeeze it and nothing happens until you are really pulling. Fortunately the rear is much more responsive and found myself relying on it more than I care. I spoke with the service manager at the shop about it and he informed me there has been some concern about the front brakes that Vespa is ignoring at this time. He will blead them again and we will see how they are when I pick up next week. Going to have the rear body guards installed and an extra accessory outlet installed as well.

A few more pics from my ride today to the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick G
  2. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you experienced "Vespa wobble"?
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying the new scooter. A scooter is great for the area you live. Too bad you have this "winter" thing up there to put a damper on the riding fun.

Are you planning any long trips on your scooter in the future?
  4. Rick G

Oddometer:
    If you are referring to the "Death Wobble" which occurs on decel around 35-25 MPH with your hands off the bar? I did experience on the 09 GTS Super I used to own, but I haven't noticed it yet on this new one. But I haven't taken my hands off the bar on decel between 35-25 MPH either.

YMMV

Rick G
  5. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have rediscovered the joys of riding a scooter around the city. So maneuverable, so much fun!! This 300 is really zippy and sneaky fast as it is so smooth. As for a longer trip. probably an overnighter come next riding season. Not sure I would want to take it much further, as that would probably require strapping extra luggage to seat which means every 120 miles it has to come off for fuel. But I certainly do plan to use it for more country road riding near where I live. Even mostly straight roads are fun on a scooter.

Rick G
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Happy 65th!
    I've been thinking of a scooter...sold my last bike a few months ago and am jonesing to ride.
    Does the alternator have enough juice to run electric gear (Jacket/gloves)?
    I had a Vespa as a teen, 1960's model, super fun. I haven't been able to picture myself on a scooter, bike snobbery?
    Rick G likes this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have over 125,000 miles on large frame Vespa scooters over the past 11 years.
    Yes, they wobble in some conditions but the wobbling hasn't caused any harm yet.
    It is worse on some scooters than others and can be kept in check with air pressures and tire changes.
    It isn't a problem unless you are just looking for an excuse not to buy one.
    Bill
    Scooter Addict and Rick G like this.
  8. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Not sure about alternator, but I have a battery operated vest and gloves that I picked up on closeout that I figure will work well. I don't anticipate riding much once the snow comes.

Rick G
  9. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I have a heated jacket liner that uses 1.5 amps (no controller) and heated grips that uses 3.4a on high. Grips and jacket on and the bike at idle the battery is losing 1.4a. At 5,000rpm 1.5a goes into the battery. This is on my 2009. It might be different with newer models?
  10. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you have one of those glove box bags , wonder what your thoughts are about it. Worth the money, how about how it fit's, ease of installation , does the glove box door close easily ,etc.
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. Rick G

Oddometer:
    The bag works great. Just Velcro straps behind the glove box door. Makes the door just a bit tight, but it closes secure without too much pressure. I bought a genuine imitation Vespa on Fleabay for about $16.00. Appears to be well made, especially considering the coin spent. The Vespa logo is embroidered and has another sewn in Vespa tag. My guess? It is out the back door of a factory in China that makes it for Vespa or a licensed vendor. I guess I just confessed to a crime. LOL But it was on the interweb! It had to be legit!!

Rick G
    DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  12. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any hint where on E Bay I might find one ? :-)
  13. Rick G

Oddometer:
  14. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick G likes this.
  15. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    I don’t wish to hijack the OPs thread, but would like to add to it.

I picked up a pristine 2012 GTS with 400 miles on it last week. I’m now at 660 miles. I love it, but after 30 plus years on motorcycles it is a little adjustment. My moto skills are different (like weight placement around a fast steep corner) , and I find myself overadjusting. Of course if I would just putt around I would be ok but I seemed to be hardwired to find the limit. Then I feel I am capable of using the bike to its max and also to have a larger margin of skill for safety.

After changing the rear gear oil the bike was noticeably smoother on acceleration. There was an off throttle vibration at partial throttle when accelerating hard. I just got back from another long ride, and it’s smoother still, so perhaps more breaking in!
    Also when I cleaned the oil screen, there were metal shavings.

next up is to refresh the brake fluid.
    Rick G and DandyDoug like this.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really takes a few thousand miles to fully break in a new Vespa. I find that occurs somewhere around 3-4,000 miles. When we took the two to Moab this summer the one with 4,500 miles had better p ck up, top end and MGP than the one that started the trip with 900 miles
  17. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once you have owned a "scooter", it is hard not to own one !
  18. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cleveland ? Did you buy it from Phil ?
    Rick G likes this.
  19. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Yup! Have known him for a while. His shop took care of my previous scooters. He is no bargain but they are an honest enthusiast shop.

Rick G
  20. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful scooter. As for that "wobble" I have a 2006 GT200, with a Vespa top box, and I have tried literally everything to make that wobble happen, but it just won't. I even lowered the pressure in the front tire and decelerated with my hands off the bars. Nothing. I think there must either be a defect on certain models causing it, or those who are reporting it are seriously exaggerating it. Or maybe it is certain road surfaces. I have experienced a serious front end shimmy on pretty much every bike that I have ridden on roads with those "rain grooves"
    Rick G likes this.