602 races King of Motos 2014

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 602, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Europe is littered with a collection of extreme enduros. But I have always noticed hoped that America was lacking. Within the past few years this has finally started to change. King of Motos is on route to become America's premier extreme enduro. Ever since I heard about King of Motos, I knew I wanted to be a part of it. This thread is my King of Motos Story.

A year ago my friend raced the second edition of King of Motos. Jeremy had a very difficult time and was unable to finish. I causally mentioned to my friends last year that we should go out as a group and make a go of it. Many of them said yes, but only three of us paid our entry and put our money down.

A copy of my rider bio:
    ultra4racing.com/drivers/caraway602

For those that don't know much about the event, check out this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyR2OKA4yY

The promoters describe the race in a brief but honest manner.

About
    2014 will mark the 3rd annual King of the Motos. It will be a three-challenge format for the 2014 race held on February 1st and 2nd in Johnson Valley, CA

Description
    The toughest extreme enduro race in the United States. 2014 will mark the 3rd annual King of the Motos. It will be a three-challenge format for the 2014 race held on February 1st and 2nd in Johnson Valley, California as part of the King of the Hammers (KOH) week-long event. Last year, Santa Cruz, CA resident Cody Webb won. Who will win in 2014?
    Here is my rider Bio.
    ultra4racing.com/drivers/caraway602

The race begins in a week. Prologue on Saturday then two stages of racing on Sunday.

You can watch live at this link:
    http://ultra4racing.com/live/
  2. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of 2013 I was racing a 2013 KX 250F. The bike was good, but it had enough short comings that I knew I had to pick something else for KOM. The choices were between a KX450 and a GasGas 300. I have ridden the GasGas 300 and know what it is capable of. But ever since jumping on the four stroke bandwagon, I have been hooked. After a lot of consideration I bought a 2013 KX 450F from MotoAdventure Kawasaki in Loveland Colorado.

[​IMG]

Right after I bought the bike I took it home and began putting parts on it. I have a list of base parts that I like on all my bikes.

-Skid Plate
    -Steering Stabilizer
    -Moose foam inserts
    [​IMG]

One of my biggest concerns with the new 450 is the air fork. These are great for the local motocross track but not very reliable for off road racing. Solution? I decided to swap the separate function forks from my 250f to the 450. This required moving the whole front end. Triple clamps, bars, steering stabilizer and of course the forks themselves.

[​IMG]

Shortly after purchasing the bike, I took it on a gnarly 15 hour day. I wanted to get an idea of what the bike needed in order to finish a ride a difficult as King of Motos. My biggest weakness turned out to be the large hole that I placed in my right side radiator. After fixing this, I spent a lot of time improving the coolant system on the motorcycle.

[​IMG]
  3. SaharaJp99

SaharaJp99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Freaking awesome Matt! :clap

Best of luck to you, they grow some big ass rocks out there in JV!
  4. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During early days of testing I realized that I needed to solve some problems with the coolant system on the bike. These modern day four strokes run hot. Solving this problem wasn't quick or easy.

First up, I replaced the radiators that I had junked in Albany. I purchased some Mylers Radiators. These things are great. Good price, stronger than stock and higher capacity. I had a lot of problems with fit though. I had to send it back to Mylers for some changes to the radiators. Clearance around the exhaust and frame wasn't perfect. After I got it back I continued to look for weak points and decided to reinforce the mount point. This had shifted during a ride and caused me some problems. I riveted a washer to the radiators and all is now well.
    [​IMG]

This was a step in the right direction. These units ship with a 1.1 bar cap. I took this off and replaced it with the Kawasaki 1.8 OEM cap. I was initially concerned with running the higher pressure cap, but I haven't noticed anything adverse yet. The recommendation from my local dealer was also a good vote of confidence.

More gnarly test days were put on the bike. During which I managed to destroy my head gasket and a few seals. One day I was out at the test track first thing in the morning and the temp hadn't gone above freezing yet... But the silly bike was dribbling fluid out the radiator overflow tube. Pulled the head gasket and saw the damage.

[​IMG]

A friend was running a Boyseen water pump on his bike. I purchased one and noticed that my bike ran cooler because of it. In the past, I thought that this was just a gimmick item. Only put on a bike for the bling factor. I was wrong. I fully recommend this product. It does exactly what it claims. If you are running off road, skid plates become an issue with this new pump. Many skid plates hug the motor too tight and there is no room for this water pump. My solution was to buy an Acerbis plastic skid plate and carve around the pump. I then fabricated some aluminum and rivets around the bigger pump. This thing MUST be protected. If you rub the water pump on some rocks your day is done. These water pumps are fragile. I broke mine without even wrecking. Here you see us molding some platic after we had attached it using rivets.

[​IMG]

Through further research, I learned that many of the factory guys are running waterless coolant. You can get it from ZipTye Racing. Destry Abbot uses this coolant. This stuff is great. Non-corrosive. It boils at a higher temperature than water. And also has better heat transfer properties when compared to water based coolant.

The above list is pretty much all that is available for improving the coolant system. I have not found a fan for the bike. I might fab one up on the coming months after King of Motos. Its not an easy problem honestly. I have several things to consider here. Tapping the power source. Second: when to turn on the fan thermostat vs manual switch. Finally: fitment. There isn't much room between the oversized tank and the Mylers Radiators.

Adding a recluse clutch to the bike also helped a ton. Less fatigue allows me to be more smooth and make fewer mistakes. This The clutch engagement on the recluse also produces less heat compared to many of us humans. But don't be fooled, I still use the clutch override in many situations.
    [​IMG]
  5. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once I got the coolant issues sorted out, I gained a lot more confidence in the bike. It was now time to put some armor on this machine. Not many pictures here but the work was very important. Below is a mostly complete list of items that I added to the bike to make it more bulletproof.

-Acerbis plastic skid plate
    -Moose Racing handguards
    -Devol front rotor guard
    -Moose Racing rear rotor guard
    -Hammer Head shifter and rear brake pedal
    -Devol radiator cages + guard
    -Sunline unbreakable clutch and brake lever.
    -Fastway footpegs

As mentioned above, I like to run the foam inserts instead of tubes. The cost of a flat tire is just too high for me. I decided to put in new inserts for the race. Probably not necessary, but good insurance.
    [​IMG]

King of Motos tech inspection has spark arrestor and sound check. I decided to keep the stock can and just add to it. Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor with quiet end cap were purchased. Just this past week I decided to repack the silencer too.
    [​IMG]

One of the last big question marks for this build was the rear end. I was running the front end from the 250f and the shock from the stock 450. This bike was not balanced very well. I initially tried to just swap the shocks.
    [​IMG]

But the Gods would have none of this. The project became more involved. The shocks had some minor differences on the shock spring retainer that wouldn't allow them to be interchanged. Because of this, I was forced to bring the shock, linkage and swing arm from the 250.
    [​IMG]

The race track is not marked. At the rider's meeting, we will be getting GPS tracks that we must then load on our own computers. Trail Tech is sponsoring the event of provided this unit and case at a significant discount.
    [​IMG]

This past weekend saw some gearing changes and addition of fresh plastics and graphics. My wonderful girlfriend helps me put on the plastics. She rides too!
    [​IMG]

Finally at her completed point!
    [​IMG]
  6. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . you forgot to post a pic after identifying a pic on the "where's this" pic thread.:huh
    Priorities man!

Looking forward to following this King of Moto's 2014. . .
    (Jeremy will do much better this year with his Recluse).

Good luck 602: Matthew Caraway!
    What class will you be riding in?

(maybe one of your biggest obstacles will be not damaging your bike! :lol3)

Dig the plastics/graphics
    :freaky
    Cam -
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Very Cool.

Give 'em hell & good luck on the race, we'll be rootin for ya!.
  8. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :clap
  9. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    Matt, I see you come in the store (Motoadventure) all the time but never knew you were '602"!!

Another ADV connection and I never knew it. :1drink
  11. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Get Some Matt!!!
  12. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good luck ...
  13. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best of Luck!! :clap

:lurk
  14. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Matt. Representing for CO!

Btw, with that waterless coolant, that stuff stinks like hell if you boil it. The lungful of that steam will make your day miserable. I'd suggest running an extra long overflow tube either out the back, or at least so it can't spray anywhere near your exhaust.
  15. dutchoven

dutchoven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super jealous man. Have a great time and post some Go pro video!
  16. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck! Gas on and rubber side down! :clap
  17. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, best of luck! I've been watching King of the Moto's (as well as KOH) and I've always thought it looked severely brutal! Have fun, be careful... I'll be watching for you!
  18. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer:
    Go get 'em! Have a great race, lot's of them!
  19. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Cool write up on the build! Good luck with this crazy endeavor!
  20. auldublinr

auldublinr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck Sir ,will be following along.
    Thanks for letting us know you are doing the KOM and posting up.