60csx at Costco or 62 or 62s

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sam1905, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sam1905

sam1905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which actually works better for dualsport, off highway, navigating? (on a 690)
    I see the specs but wondered if anyone has any real world input...
    Does the 62 fit in the 60 Touratech case??
    I have also heard the 62 has the micro SD plug whereas my bike came with a 'garmin' connector that is aroughly 1/2" plastic plug. What type of power lead does the 60csx take
    .....questions questions questions...

Sam
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    62s do not have external power, show stopper.

You want 60/76Cx or 78. They all have micro SD card, they all do take the Garmin round 4-pin connector (may be yours) for power. Just buy kit and wire direct to battery.

They all work great for Tracks and off road use.

Possibly not best for a lot of highway use.
  3. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    62 can take external power through USB. I've heard reports (i.e., don't take my word for this) that the USB connector on the 62 can take more than 5V, making it easier to splice in power to vehicles... but again, I haven't been able to confirm that.

The 60/76/78's have the 4-pin round power+serial connector. The 62 does not.

All have ability to drop tracks. On the 60/76, the "x" in the model denotes units with the e-x-pandable memory (SD card). All flavors of the 78 have a card slot.

The 60's a popular unit. If I had to do it agian, I'd have gone with the 76 for the different form factor (and better RAM-mount design). In a few years, when the 60/76's are obsolete, the 78 would be my choice for form factor, power, and serial features.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Not having external power is hardly a showstopper, it's just one persons opinion. When you can go 2 or 3 days on a set of rechargable AA's, IMO you really don't need external power.
  5. sam1905

sam1905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can see both ways depending on use and in mosyt cases 2 days on rechargables would be ample. With that said i usually do a 5-7 day W CO trip a year and am looking at a self suported 10 day in BAJA again next year. Although I could carry 10 AA's easily I think in this case I would rather avoid it and have durable power.

Thanks for all the input, Costco has the 60csx for $199 and I think I will give it a go....
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither was my kick start 600 or even my lace up boots but that was then and this is now.
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt that! Mini USB is a fixed standard so Garmin's hardly likely to change that aspect of it.

The serial (round 4 pin) connector on those units which have one, are the only one that can take more than 5 volts. Up to 32 V in some but not all cases.
  9. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be the first time a company's fucked up a "standard". Tried to make web pages work in both firefox and ie? It's just HTML, right? :augie
  10. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is not a direct power cable it is a power supply with an input cable and and output cable atached. Many many many posts about the fact that 62 only has crappy USB 5v input and can not take direct battery power.
  12. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Interesting though, says it's got serial on that cable. USB needs a D+ and D-... power and ground are already used... serial needs a TxD and RxD... Mini-B only has 5 connectors... :scratch
  13. Rustysauce

Rustysauce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went through the same thought process, and ultimately picked up a 60csx. Price was a major factor for me, and the 60csx on sale is really good bang-for-buck.

I've been really happy with it so far, the screen is fantastic (compared to my friend's Oregon 300, which is useless in any sort of sunlight), and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having the 64k colour screen and fancy 3D maps. It's plenty fast, too, although the 62 will probably draw maps a bit faster (not an issue unless you're trying to zoom/scroll across the whole country). Also, the 4-pin connector to supply power is a big plus on the 60csx that the 62 is lacking...I don't think USB was designed with dirt & mud in mind. I've mounted it on my 625SMC, and it's survived the vibrations in the short time I've had it.

The only downside I've found so far is that you can't switch between different mapsets on the SD card using the unit...it has to be done either on your computer, or by swapping in an alternate SD card. Depending on what mapsets you load on it, that may affect its on/off-road usability for you. For me, I've just been using OSM and have been adding trails to the project as I ride them.
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can switch between multiple map sets. I always have CN, R&R, and Topo loaded. switched via the "Setup Map" Menu.

Bruce
  15. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Till you hit the grid limit.

Loading a few mapsets is a way around that limit. I've got a few states worth of topo maps in mine and that fills that grid limit, though the mapset's only 300MB or so. Also have CityNav, 1.2GB, for US/Can/Mex.

My phone takes fullsize SD cards, and the card I have in there is a MicroSD with the adapter. A freeware file manager can handle renaming the file, so while I still have to yank the card out, I can do it at the truck or on the trail without a computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My old Tungsten|T takes SD cards too. Might be able to find an older(cheaper) one online.
  16. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had a 276c for several years and recently picked up a 76Cx.

The 276c has a great screen, but uses Garmin memory cards (512 MB max) and only allows 900 map segments.

The 76Cx has a much newer receiver chip, uses micro SD cards and allows 2025 map segments.

So with all that memory available, I figured I'd better get busy and combine some maps to get them within the segment limit.

When I loaded Metroguide and started loading Topo2008 I quickly hit the limit.

I had found a description of a way to combine map segments a couple of years ago, so I went to work.

First I combined the old Topo v3 down to 370 or so segments for the whole US.

Then I tried to combine Topo2008.... tried being a key word. No luck.

Then I worked on combining Road & Rec. After a couple of weeks - success! I ended up leaving off the outer chain of the Aleutian Islands, but it's down to 95 map segments.

So now I can load Metroguide (US & Canada), the old TOPO v3 (all of the US) and Road & Rec (all of the US) in a map set of 3 GB and still have map segments available.

No switching of map files for me!

Maybe I need to work on combining the enhanced Canadian basemap.....
  17. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    From what I can discern, the 62 will NOT fit in the current 60 cradles

The 60CSX is internally regulated up to 32 volts so for straight convienience of external power, this is the way to go (with the 4 pin connector, fused to battery)

External power may not be a deal breaker to some, but to me it is. Vibration caused by the bike is a well known factor in the batteries losing contact and the unit losing signal/power. Yes, there are fixes (tape around batteries/dilectic grease) but running off of the bike means never losing power (and not worrying about recharging batteries)

Both would be decent for dual sport and getting you home.
  18. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    60Csx has a highway mode screen that works great for slab navigation.
  19. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    There is great upgrades in the 62s,
    Wireless transfer of tracks, waypoints etc to other garmin users/units.
    200 trails/10,000 points, beats the hell out of the 60's 500point tracks.
    I'm not a Garmin cheerleader as many are, but this is a unit that compares and exceeds the track ability of the Ifinder I use now. (100 trails, 9999 point) and you could load a whole weeks worth of tracks in it, or the whole TAT. :clap For extended trips and exploring.

I would consider buying the 62s and I typically bypass garmins because the other manufactors had better trail capacity.

Does any one know if you can save/reload tracks from 62s sd card?

Power, one report said they got 17 hours out of alkalines and close to 30 with NiMH so external power is not a big issue on this unit if that is the case. :clap
  20. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    You are losing me. I attach this cable to battery and it powers the unit, and the unit gets power and runs. What's the problem?