1. eNewsletter Sign Up

60csx at Costco or 62 or 62s

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sam1905, Oct 29, 2010.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem is the power supply in the middle of that cable can fail causing the full voltage to go to the GPS and burn it up.

There are a number of factors that can cause that power supply to fail - voltage spikes beyond design, too great of load (perhaps caused by water shorting the plug), mechanical vibration breakdown, etc, etc, etc.

The higher the allowed voltage range of the GPS, there better the chances of it surviving in the environment we use them in.

I designed and built power supplies to power my old eMaps on my bikes and ran into many of those issues. Even with spike capacity up to 45 volts I still lost power supplies.
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    All true, but let's be fair here and acknoledge that this is a theoretical problem - if these power cords are well engineered it is quite possible they'll work fine forever. And I suspect there is circuitry inside the old GPS which essentially does the same thing as the power cord circuitry and thus could fail too.

- Mark
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No this is not theoretical, all electronics have failure rates.

The fact that something may possibly work fine forever is meaningless. Why do people always carry a backup parashoot?

Again it is not a cable, it is a power supply and all designs fail at some rate.

That simple fact coupled with the very poor, never designed for vibration or outdoor weather, USB plug makes that mode of external power for motorcycle a very very very very last choice option.
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    True of the GPS also. Hell, cables have failure rates too. These things don't have to last forever, just the useful life of the unit.

If the cable ends up being a problem, then you have a point. Until it does, you don't.

- Mark
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Mark, this all pretty much stemmed from Emmbeedee having a bad (wet?) USB power cable take out not one, but two GPS units.
  6. sam1905

sam1905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not concerned with electronic component or wire failure, rather a non retained and non waterproof connector holding up in all seasons and conditions.

I belive it is the same connector as my CrackBerry and I would not tape that to the bars, plug it in and expect it to still be dry and plugged in after 5 days on trails

just by (more than) 2c
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    And I had 3 bad GPSMAP 478's. Does that mean they all suck? Well in my book yes, but most everyone here would probably disagree.
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Worked for me! In an emergency, the 60 mount will work for the 62 as long as you use an elastic band to hold it in.

[​IMG]

But the proper RAM mount for the 62 should be out in a week or so.
  9. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    I'd go through Costco and get the 60CSx. As you can see on the other thread everyone else thought I had a good idea. :lol3
  10. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 76CX will go 5 days of full riding on one set of 2700 NIMH batteries. And that is not completely depleted, probably go another 8 hours or so.

Todd
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    With the backlight on 100% ?
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I doubt that very much. But then with the display on the 60/76 and to a lesser extent the 62/78, you don't need 100% backlight. The Oregon, yes.
  13. sysie

sysie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, never needed the backlight on at all except at night, and I almost never ride at night. I picked up some really cheap rechargable's at Fry's the other day (3$ for 4). Even with those I get 3 days off one set.
  15. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does not need the backlight in the day time, it is 100% visible even in the low light conditions (Trees, clouds etc....)

Todd
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I have a 60Cx and I run it on 100% all of the time.
  17. sam1905

sam1905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...I bought the 60Csx a few days ago and the TT locking case. Have loaded tracks for MOAB this weekend, plugged into existing (Wetherproof) connector already on bike an am happy as a pig in you know what.

Maybe just the benefit of ignorance!
  18. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Me too. In deep woods cover it's pretty dark. Without backlight you can't see the screen at all. Even in relatively well-lit areas I find the backlight helps. The only time I don't need backlight is when the sun is directly behind your back/lighting up the screen (which of course doesn't happen often, so having the screen backlight on all the time is how I run it).
  19. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how people's perceptions of things are different. I hardly ever run backlight on my 60Cx and can hardly tell any difference between it being at 100% and off in daylight conditions. In the deep woods, perhaps it starts to make a difference for me, and certainly at night, but in the day it stays off to conserve batteries because I can't tell it does anything. YMMV.

I also don't get the battery life others are reporting. On a typical tour where I'm running it 6-8 hrs/day (with no backlight) with disposable AA's, I get about 2 days before it starts putting up annoying low-battery messages... I can nurse another half day from it at this point before it starts powering off. With rechargeables, it does somewhat better, but I dislike having to pack a charger, remember which batteries have been recharged, and having to recharge in the evening. And AC outlets are few when you're camping. So I typically just throw in eight or so disposables for a 7-day tour.

- Mark
  20. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Try some Duracell ultras, I can get 4-5 8 hour days out of them.

Todd