60csx at Costco or 62 or 62s

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sam1905, Oct 29, 2010.

1. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I guess I must just have awesome eyesight, I never use the back light in the woods, and I am using a Dark Smoke tinted Shield and Goggles depending on which helmet I use. And I have never had a problem seeing the screen clearly.

Todd
  2. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Garmin specs for the 62 series USB power/serial cable indicate a broad input voltage range (just like the 60CSX has).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668

The ruggedness of the miniUSB interface is certainly a good question, one I'll be answering soon as I just sold my 60CSX and am buying the 62S this weekend. I will definitely be running it from bike power (just like the 60CSX did). Personally, I dont think it'll be an issue - Garmin knows how the 60 series was used by us and I'll be surprised if the interface wasn't built with this use in mind.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can put 8 to 36 volts into it, but it'll feed your usb device 5 volts. The 60/76 models could take 8 to 36 directly into the gps as the circuitry was built to take it. You didn't need cable based transformation/reduction.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yep - exactly the same for me.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Do you have issues with "night blindness"? A buddy of mine hates driving at night because he can barely see in low ambient light conditions.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Nope. No vision problems other than needing reading glasses now that I'm approaching 50. I don't wear them while riding though. Far vision is still 20/20.

The worst conditions for me to see the 60Cx are when sunlight is coming in at a low angle. The shiny screen reflects objects, the sky, etc and I see that image better than the GPS screen :huh A fine layer of dust makes it worse.

As ADW said, best conditions are sunlight shining right on the screen perpendicular to it. The retro-reflective screen really lights up then.

With my touch screen Nuvi 500 the conditions are almost opposite - direct sunlight washes it out badly. I run the backlight 100% on that one too.
  7. Jccc

Jccc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to pick up a second GPS (bike, car, geocaching) what are the advantages/disadvantages of a 60csx over a NUVI 350. (which is what I'm currently using) Does the 60csx track as quickly on the road as the Nuvi does? TIA
  8. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is your 60 mounted using a RAM mount, if so just tilt it where it is not reflecting anything. I have my 76 mounted where it rarely ever reflects the sky or trees but still very visible.

You are right the only time I have ever had an issue where it is not very visible is heading right into the early morning sun. Had to lift my Visor a to see it clearly.

Todd
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. Mudsurfer1234

Mudsurfer1234 Newbie Dual-Sporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, first post on this forum, and have a question about the 60CSx.

Looking at the track specs, it says "10,000-point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each)"

Does this mean each track you record can only be 500 points? For example, could I have just one track that is say 1397 points? Or would I have to break the track down into 500-point segments.

I'm new to dual-sport/adventure riding, so for now I'm planning on using the MotionX GPS app (with tracks imported from GPX files created in MapSource) on my iPhone. I have a feeling my phone won't work as well as I'm hoping, so I will most likely end up picking up a 60CSx by next spring.

Thanks!
    -Scott
  11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't use tracks much, but I have heard that yes, you can only have 500 points in a saved track.

- Mark
  12. Mudsurfer1234

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is that in a hypothetical scenerio: I start recording my track and head out on a ride. The track gets to 500 points and stops recording, although I'm not aware of this and keep riding. When I arrive home and go to look at the track in MapSource, it's only the first part of the ride.

Does the unit (lol... unit) automatically start recording another track after the first reaches 500 points?
  13. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a difference between the "Saved Tracks" and the "Active Log".

Active Log will store up to 10k trackpoints. These are the digital breadcrumbs you drop as you ride.

Saved Tracks are ... well, tracks you saved.

Turn on "Log Track to Data Card" and it'll write a new file for every day, even if you fill the active log, till you run out of room on teh memory card.

Even on my longest 200+mi windy dirt OHV trail days, I've yet to fill much more than half the active log in a day.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    correct you want to enable log to card or your active logs when saved (thus becoming a saved track) will count towards the point & number limit. on saved tracks (ones that you can open it 20 @ 500 points each for 10K total. i've download .gpx files (with tracks) that had almost 1000 points for 1 ride. i split it in 2 pieces to load it on my 60 so i could follow the ride.
  15. Mudsurfer1234

Oddometer:
    Perfect, exactly what I wanted to know. I am pretty sure I'll end up with a 60CSx in the next few months (not planning on doing much over the winter that I would need it for). Maybe it will get even cheaper by then :D
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'd count on it selling out and then won't be avail at $200. plan on for the price to go up quickly as it's desirable and will be harder to find. it's happened before and you can count on it. garmin is just blowing out remaining stock now.
  17. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :evil
  18. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken logging to Card, you can't call it up from the card. You will have to read it in to a PC first then send it back over. Also not sure if logging to card, if the track still shows up on the screen. Meaning if you need to back track, I dont think there will be a track to follow. I personally have not used "Record to Card" as I have yet to run out of space with the "Active Log"

Another thing to Mention is when you save the Active Log it just condenses the Log, does not shorten the track. So lets say you are in TX it only needs to make about 10 dots per hundred miles since we have no turns here...:cry

Todd
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    There's no harm in saving to the card. It doesn't affect (nore is it affected by) the 10,000-point active log at all. You can do whatever you want to the active log and the .gpx file(s) on the card will be there.
    There's really no need to ever save the active log to one of the 20 500-point saved track slots. USe these to upload tracks that you want to follow for navigation.
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, with the good prices for the last of these 60CSx models, I decided to replace my long-term 60Cx with a new one. I had heard horror stories about Garmin being hard-core about not transferring unlock codes between units unless you were getting a direct replacement from Garmin, so my plan was to take advantage of Costco's liberal return policy if I had any issues. (Or bite the bullet and buy 2011 maps - the prices have come down to the point where it is not that bad anymore just to buy new maps every so often.)

I called their 800 tech support number and within five-minutes was talking to a competent, English-as-their-first-language, tech support guy based in Lawrence. He said "no problem" and he revised my ownership records on MyGarmin, and then had me fire up MapSource and type in a new unlock code. Five minutes later, I'm looking at my old City Nav 2008 maps on the new unit.

This sort of service has been my universal experience with Garmin - perhaps I've just been lucky.

- Mark