60csx at Costco or 62 or 62s

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sam1905, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    Must be some kind of double standard right mark. :lol3
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think returning something unused after a few days with the packaging unopened is an entirely different deal than using it for several years and returning it with a trumped up reason.

- Mark
  3. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    How would you know if it had any issues if you don't open it?

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

:fyyff
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really don't get it do you?

For the record, I bought the new unit, got the serial number off the box, then called Garmin and attempted the unlock code transfer. It was successful, so I opened it up and and it is working fine. I'm planning on keeping it. If Garmin has said they couldn't transfer the maps, I would have returned it unopened so Costco where could have sold it as new and not taken any loss on the return. Unlike you, I realize that someone has to pay when someone like you uses something for several years, receives full value from it, then returns it and gets their money back, with the well-used unit thrown in the trash because it can't be resold or refurbished.

The new unit is working fine, but if it failed tomorrow or anytime in the warranty period, I will certainly return it or get it fixed on Garmin's dime. That's reasonable too. What is not reasonable is buying something, getting full usage and value out of it for it's useful like and then trumping up a reason to return it and get their money back. That's getting something for nothing in my book. It's no different than my daughter buying a prom dress from Nordstrom, wearing it to the dance, and then returning it for a refund. She certainly could do so legally, but she knows it is unethical. Something you don't.

- Mark
  5. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    So why couldn't it be refurbished and sold again?
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because the refurbishment would cost more to do than building a new unit. Once you replace the display, all the plastic, all the casings, all the connectors, the buttons, the keyboard, the backlight, etc. etc. etc., it is not cost effective. I suspect Garmin also looks at the age of the electronic components and bins them if they're more than a year old. A refurb'ed unit has to basically look and function like a new unit.

- Mark
  7. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as the hardware's functional, age really makes no difference. Oscillators can be adjusted back to frequency, as long as the test engineers do their job and design manufacturing tests that adequately exercise the circuits... passes that, there's no difference between a unit that's been working for a few years vs. one right off the line.
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can say this about all electronics, but even if you could, most of the cost of today's consumer electronics is not in the electronics, it is in the display, cases, UI stuff, cosmetics, packaging, etc. Its still going to cost a bunch to pull the electronic guts out of three-year-old 60Cx, test it to make sure it's working to spec, and slide it into a new case with new keypad, display, etc., and package the whole thing up with manual, CD, box, shrink-wrap etc. My guess is that Garmin looks at the thing and if it is past a certain age or beat up to a certain extent, they don't even bother. And I'd bet Eldon's used unit didn't make it out of the Costco dumpster.

- Mark
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true all electronics has an infant mortality rate then a mean time between failure (MTBF) rate resulting in what is called the bath tub failure rate curve. High at begining of life then none then goes up again at end of life. Some fail at begining of life then they all fail eventually. This is why military electronics get a "burn in" to weed out all the short term failures. Consumer product manufactures just let the consumer do it and replace the item under warentee. Then they sell you a 2-5 year extended warentee for 10% and expect no failures so they just make another 10%. Then after extended warentee expires the MTBF kick in and you just buy a new one.
  10. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    If it makes any difference it was not a Garmin it was a Megellan. And it was always kept and used in a case so the display, buttons and carcass was like new.
  11. sam1905

sam1905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..buy one or pay full price if it looked like it had been used with a consumer electronics item (TV, Garmin etc...)

I wouldnt, with a $200 white good used is effectively worthless to the manufacturer. (We are a white good manufacturer....)

When I started this post I had no idea it would become a repository for quite so much bickering!:rofl

now now
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what you originally said, so I assumed you had returned a Garmin to get another similar one. My bad assumption, not that it makes any difference in our points....

13. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess my point was you cant call it up from the card can you, out in the field?

Does it still display the track on the screen when recording to the card?

Todd
  14. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    You're right makes no difference either way. I really just chimed in to get your panties in a bunch. :rofl
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like T-Bird said, data card is just a backup of where you rode (when selected). Think of it as automatic uploading to an external memory device of your PC. You can crash and crush your GPS and the data is still on the little card for you to retrieve from a card reader.

Each saved track is displayed on screen in the color specified if so selected by a check in the little box for each saved track. Your active log is displayed in the color chosen which can be transparent in which case it it there buy you can't see it.
  16. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just looked, it does not show the tracks on the screen from the card. In fact all it will allow me to do to those GPX files is delete them.

Now you are correct on the Saved tracks from the regular track menu. I can select which ones to show and the color I want them.

But this is not true for the GPX files on the card.

Todd
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes a well known fact that we have been saying (in several athreads). It is just back up memeory.
  18. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just tried to purhcase a Garmin 60CSx from Amazon. Price was $198 including shipping and handling. While booking the order the price increased to $229. F- That.

So was going to purchase at Costco but a bit of hassle to get the $199 price since I'm not a Costco member.

Searched online. The $220 60CSx with Topo maps at Cabellas is long gone.

Walmart to the rescue. No membership required. $198 online with $0.97 shipping to house or free to nearest Walmart.

Did purchase the Ram Mount and power cable at Amazon for another $50 shipped.

WW
  19. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    gpscity.com is a good vendor and has been doing the $200 deal too.

- Mark
  20. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

COUNTDOWN,

Uh, you must have missed where I posted this on Page 4

Todd