60csx at Costco or 62 or 62s

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sam1905, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't understand your statement. Did someone say they can see tracks on data card?

A while back someone ask how to see them but it has been answered several times that you can't.
  2. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. The only thing the receiver can read from teh card is the mapset in /Garmin/GMAPSUPP.IMG. Everything else is ignored. The "Log Track to Card" option writes a line to YYYYMMDD.GPX on the rootdir of that card when logging is enabled. The only way to "read" those files are on a computer; the GPS will not do that. You can, however, delete the tracklog files on the receiver.
  3. BootDragger

BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

Oddometer:
    Uh.......Clearly Countdown is refering to your last statement... You said you just looked which made it sound like you just found out that thats how it works. :huh
  4. BootDragger

BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

Oddometer:
    Nice Wally!

Now you will just need to study up real quick before the Laughlin ride! :deal

Let me know if you need any software for it. :ear
  5. John92

John92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I had been looking at the Oregon 550 on Amazon. It was $399. A couple days later it was $411. When I had the money clear and ready to buy one it was $428. I ended up buying it from Xtremenavigation.com for $399. Now it's at $411 on Amazon. It's nonsense that their prices fluctuate so much. List was $499 so I'm a happy camper now. Xtremenavigation's price on the 60csx is still a little high so I guess it's all about shopping around and still getting it from a place that you'll actually get the item when it's all said and done.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    And repeated one more time just to make sure no one missed the other 10 times just above.
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
  8. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you have to do is go to main menu>setup >system>interface
    then change Garmin Serial to Garmin spanner or nmea in/out

then use a mini usb connected to the battery.... Garmin makes them 25$

thanks

9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are saying you can program the 62 to take 14V external power on the USB Input.

That is very hard to believe.
  10. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some confusion here.

The statement that the 62 "doesn't have external power" isn't really correct - it runs on external power, but uses 5V USB power rather than the dedicated 12V input on the 60. Since you can't wire directly from 12V to USB, you have to have a special cord with a small inline transformer. While Garmin sells a cable for $25 or so, you can find these cables for way less. There may be some reliability concerns though. And people complain bitterly here about the USB port being too fragile or not weatherproof enough. (Personally, I think these concerns are a little overblown.)

I don't think you have to re-program the 62 to use USB power, but I don't know for sure as I don't have one.

- Mark
  11. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ask Emmbeedee how many GPS receivers he had repaired for just this problem.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Impossible to believe, and to do.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You are right, there's no way to program any USB powered Garmin for different voltages. You have to have the right cable to step the power down.

I did have two gps units die, apparently because of moisture somewhere in the power system, the cable or the connection at the gps. And I also had to send two Oregon 550s back for repair when their USB connections started becoming intermittent because of wear.

The 550 tends to get connected/disconnected a lot when we're riding since it has a camera built in, and we're often taking it off to get pictures. These days I mostly ride with the 62S on the bike, and the Oregon in my pocket, ready to take out to get pictures.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    DC Transformer is indeed very confusing.
  15. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    It's really more of a rectifier/regulator than a "transformer". [​IMG]
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    DC in, DC out, no rectifing there!

It is a simple 3-wire series regulator, possibly with a few more bells.

If it were any good it would have some sort of zenor on the output that wouild blow the fuse if the regulator ever failed but I bet it doesn't.

The main problem with using a 14V in, 5V out cheap third party regulator to power a $300 device is that if the cheap thing fails, it takes out your $300 GPS. Very dumb idea when an equal GPS is available that runs on 14V.
  17. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    yea, but putting four diodes and a cap in there can fix reverse polarity or when you connect it to AC. Cheap insurance. (I do this on most of the stuff I build...)

And a PTC on the end works better than a regular ol' fuse.... automagically resets.
  18. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, my company; West Marine will price match anyone. SO if you find the 60csx at Costco or whatever WM will match the price and you might be able to walk out the store with it same day.

hth
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is your stock on 76Cx? When will they all be gone? Best GPS for dirt bikes made.

I kept watching your web site and got mine for $180.
  20. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are still around. I can't access the stock from outside of the Company intranet, I'll try and remember to check when I go back in on Wed.

You're prolly right, they are a decent unit. I had one back in the day when they were new and cutting edge (& before I got back in to motorcycles)

Mounted on a bike it'd prolly be fine, but hand-held in my boat it drove me batshit crazy having the buttons above the display. I just could not train my brain and I grabbed it upside down every single time so I took it back and got a lowrance h20c. It was a good unit on the boat but I HATED it on the bike lol.:norton

Heck, it might be a BETTER arrangement on the bike.