625 SXC new 18L tank/seat install

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by snaggleXR650, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dom02

dom02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my '04 sxc has the ignition lock. I have the 18l tank & lc4 seat also. Afraid of transmission damage and bought a rear wheel with cush drive $$$$. No oil in the frame so I change the oil every 1000mi.
  2. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK Score one for the cush hub $$$$.

How many miles have you racked up and where...dirt/street?
  3. privateidaho

privateidaho bike spud

Oddometer:
    Hi guys -

Check it out - my first post - let's see if I can do this without screwing up -

I've got an '03 625sxc and I want/need a seat like the renazco here - so regarding seat/tank compatibility, if I get a seat for my bike with the 9L tank, will it still fit if I go with a bigger tank in the future?
  4. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:
    Those are just the halogens I got off my wallet when the 950SE arrived and put the HIDs on it. It is a world of difference the stock light at night say 50mph you see it you hit it not now. The lights are Bajadesigns www.bajadesigns.com You can check out the 950SE with the HIDs at https://ktmser.smugmug.com/

5. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:
  6. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

One is a flood one spot. I would not ride without them now. I did HID with two spots on the 950SE. It dont matter what time it is its daylight in front of both my KTMs.
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Check directly with Renazco Racing Seats on that point; I don't know if the pans are similar enough or not.

My Own Private Idaho eh? :wink: Crazy flick - great! - but crazy... :lol3
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs? More info...
  9. CatBus

CatBus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a bit over 6k miles on my 2003 625 SXC. Those miles break down to the following:

~1500 in SM trim (with cush hub)
    ~4500 in dirt trim (~30% real dirt, 15% gravel, 55% paved)
    Oil changes every 10-25 hours, depending on terrain. Filters every other oil change.
    I might consider an aftermarket cooler, but really, it's just one more thing hanging off the bike.
    The cush hub is unnecessary for knobby tires, and there is way too much hype about it. Also, as far as I know, there is some shock dampening built into the clutch pack or drivetrain somewhere. For grippier street tires, however, the cush gives nice piece of mind.
  10. WaterWheel

WaterWheel Multi Talentless

Oddometer:
  11. losiu

losiu wheelie addict

Oddometer:
    I actually didn't know the blue color of the headers was the result of lean jetting. This is a pic of my 640 after I bought it. It was crazy lean. 142.5 main jet is stock but it felt even leaner.

I may be wrong but it looks purple to me :huh It had 1500km on it when the pic was taken.

I changed the silencer, put a 165 min jet (kinda rich but the bike was happy with it) and opened the airbox. The color of the headpipes of course always stayed the same - purple and blue. Weird...

Attached Files:

12. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    170 main jet with an Akra Muffler ( Tho it doesn't muffle much ) and blued headers.
  13. Ned1

Ned1 Trust is earned

Oddometer:
    9+k miles on my '04, oil changed at the 1500 mile factory interval unless I've been in really dirty conditions or the bike has run excessivley hot.

Most of the time it's a commuter, dual sport day tripper and road tard. Some very interesting time spent in trails that are a handful even on a mountain bike. Amazing how the fat girl can dance if she has to.

20k miles without tearing the motor down? I ride it in a sane manner so I sure as hell hope so.....
  14. dom02

dom02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Western PA/ WV area. I've had it a little over a year with about 5000mi 50/50 street/dirt
  15. snaggleXR650

snaggleXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Bluing won't go away unless you try to steel wool it off, not recommended. It's from excessive heat. However, you won't get more blue if the motor is cooled of a bit with richer jetting. Stock, my SXC was on FIRE, and liked to boil at any speed below 30mph. The pipes would turn blue from the heat and each ride it would move back towards the pipe about an inch. I rejetted ASAP and the bluing stopped, as did the tendancy to spit coolant.
  16. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fat girls try harder :evil

It's great to hear from fellow SXC owners re the mileage/usage thang!

I'll be going to DVDaze and plan on doing a lot of primo desert riding :clap
  17. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

I beg to differ with you on that one!! My 625SXC lost the inner countershaft bearing at 5,500 miles and damaged the case and shaft due to not having a dampened hub on it. :cry Over 90 percent dirt with knobbys. Oil changed every 10 to 15 hours. If you are going to daul sport anything it should have a dampened hub!! KTM refused to help because the bike was plated!!! Its not a dual sport they said!!!!
  18. Ned1

Ned1 Trust is earned

Oddometer:
    ^^ an overly tight chain will make that seal, bearing etc angry too. Especially so in the dirt where grime and glop buildup makes even a 'properly' tensioned chain run tighter.
  19. CatBus

CatBus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cush hub gives you about 1/16" of directional dampening tops. You can flex good knobs more than that with your fingers, and that doesn't even take into consideration the significantly reduced traction of a knob on pavement. If you blew all that on 90% dirt, then it's even less likely the cush would have helped. I stand by my earlier statement, although I am sorry to hear about your bike's damage. Stories like that make me nervous, regardless of circumstances.
  20. snaggleXR650

snaggleXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have to agree that loosing the CS bearing had more to do with radial stress (tight chain when swingarm is horizontal) than any possible shock from lack of using a cush hub. The shock that the cush hub helps prevent is in the tranny gear teeth slapping together...