640 625 lc4 KTM seized, suspected cooling problem

Discussion in 'Australia' started by unclemitty, Aug 16, 2018.

1. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Removing the SAS may not give any increase in horsepower but I found it made a big difference in eliminating poppin' and bangin' on deceleration as well as improving idle.

48mm front end upgrade gives a fair bit more planted front end feel. The 43's are fine but are a bit flexy and vague compared to the 48's. Its pretty simple to do on the SXC's too as you only need to change the bottom triple clamp (top one is the same) and get an axle reduction kit to run the 20mm axle in the 26mm fork clamps.
    More and more EXC's getting parted out so anything from 2003 to 2015 will fit.
    AUSSIEADV and unclemitty like this.
  2. unclemitty

unclemitty uncalamity superhero

Oddometer:
    Ahh well that should help the pop on overrun I’ve got. She gets pretty noisey on deceleration but I put that down to a bad seal around the muffler. Was there a blank off plate made for the SAS removal or some guide (sorry, I know I should have done my research on that).

I would love to buy some WP48s with matching triples but unfortunately given the state of my ute (blew up the week after the ktm), funds will be diverted to fixing the car. Common rail diesels don’t come cheap either, the buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
  4. enookway

Oddometer:
    Essentially yes. Theres a thread on it here

The vacuum port needs to be blocked up (M6 x 8 bolt), and its recommended to replace the exhaust port gaskets.

I ordered this lot:

Part Number Description Qty Unit Price
    0015 060083 HH COLLAR SCREW M 6X8 WS=8 1 3.80
    0603 061001 CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-6X10X1 1 2.20
    580 36 041 000 EXHAUST FLANGE GASKET 2 8.25
    583 36 024 000 PLUG SAS BORE 1 7.35
    584 36 054 000 CU-SEAL RING 12 X 16 X 2 1 3.50

You can also cut the SAS valve mounting points off the right hand exhaust bracket.
    unclemitty likes this.
  5. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    I got busy again last night and hooked up all the plumbing, changed the oil and finished off the bike in general. The new aftermarket orange hoses were irresistible and as my front fender was rubbing the lower radiator cross over I justified the $35 to buy them. With the bike put on the trickle charger overnight I was ready to “burp” the frame oil reservoir but it just wouldn’t spark this morning. I had no suggestion of a spark and with the Powerparts tank on I couldn’t access the spark plug to figure it out before I had to go to work. It can wait until tonight. It’s a bit frustrating but I’m hopeful it’s a relatively simple connection.

On a side note, the old oil looked all right and was just under 2000km old. Nothing nasty seems to be going on down in the bottom end. FWIW I have really liked my Trailtech Enduro speedo, it was a big upgrade over the OEM. I only replaced the OEM speedo as it started to fail with water ingress. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

wrya1 likes this.
  6. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Got home this afternoon and started working on the 625. I pulled the spark plug and had no spark whatsoever. Then I started searching the loom and found that I hadn’t hooked up my crank sensor line during the assembly. Bingo, it sparked and I fired it up again. So far I’ve let the bike idle but I’ll put it through a few gentle heat cycles to run in the tight rings on the fresh piston and bore. I’ll try use the bike and provide updates accordingly. So far so good although it is still early. Perhaps uncalamity is approaching! Until then

Oldfatbeerman, Dukehunt and DeLewis like this.
  7. enookway

Oddometer:
    Check your hose clamps on those irresistible new hoses. Being silicon they have a lovely sensual feel but do tend to slip off easily. Don't ask me how I know:D
    unclemitty likes this.
  8. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    I reused as many of the existing hose clamps as possible because the quality of the clamps matched their price. Funny that. I’ll be watching them rather carefully, I think.

9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That magnet looks a bit furry.
  10. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    There’s no brass in the filters or knock in the engine so I’m not too worried yet. I suspect that ferrous material is from the gearbox although it’s not enough to tear down imo. At the point whereby I can’t shift into certain gears or they’re slipping out of gear then maybe I’d get serious about splitting the cases. I didn’t see any serious wear in bearings around the top end so until then I’ll try to just use the bike.

What do your magnets look like? Mine seem to be about this furry all the time across all my the 4t bikes I’ve owned.

11. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine too.

Incidentally, I had no idea the Aprilia SXV motors were Rotax design. They generally make reliable if unexciting engines in my limited experience. It seems they did the opposite for the SXV.
  12. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Good point re the Rotax. I was always told that the RXV/SXV motors were made by Rotax but there’s little to back that up. Seems like they may not be Rotax after all and actually designed and made by Aprilia. Aprilia did all right with their Rotax 125 2T and their 250 2T Suzuki motors but that rxv/sxv was something else. My mate that works at the uni still maintains these engines for their FSAE Race Cars. They had four complete(ish) motors for one car... here’s a picture of some testing they were doing just this Monday. They’re sweet motors but I don’t care for the upkeep on them.

[​IMG]

DeLewis likes this.
  13. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get those irresistible coolant hoses?
  14. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    I bought them off eBay. You can get black ones too and they’re all about the same quality and price. Maybe they’re cheaper off AliExpress but I figured $35 was good enough for me. They’re a lot cheaper than oem even if they are silicone as oppose to rubber like the oem hoses.

15. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
  16. senoj

senoj senoj 54 but now 55

Oddometer:
    20180618_085433.jpg 20180823_080249.jpg View attachment 1374328 View attachment 1374328

Hi mate.

Good to hear you got the front end sorted:)

A quick ride to see the end of the snow proved a suspension service on the rear shock had been done poorly by a Canberra outfit. This got me thinking about doing the suspension over again at both ends with more modern items/internals.

The current 48mm adventure forks were pretty good but the option of 40 hour old dual chamber forks from a 2014 Husky 450 motor crosser (most were 4CS) gave me more tuning options.

I used the axle inserts like you did to maintain the use of my small axle front wheel collection. These have been so easy to valve and shorten (about 40mm longer, I kept some of the length) that its been worth every step.

The shock and forks were redone at a great little shop in Nowra (Sherco Dealer). I have been back once to have adjustments on the forks done ( 30 minutes, done as I waited with forks in bike). The forks are amazingly responsive to tuning changes and so quick to work on.

The shock has really improved after the Sherco dealers efforts but does show its design age against the forks in terms of tuning response. A complete rethink here or a Wilbers is now churning.

At the moment I'm telling my old self to be sensible as the new suspension is amazing at soaking up the trail at speeds that would have caused problems previously.

Cheers
    unclemitty and GodSilla like this.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be mindful the Trailtech units aren’t particularly waterproof either.
    unclemitty likes this.
  18. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    I have no doubts they can all collect water. My TE510 is prone to taking water in. I’m careful with the pressure hose so hopefully it won’t see much water on the inside.

AUSSIEADV likes this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    A name? I've had problems with Suspension Smith in his early days, others have had good stuff done, it's a lottery sometimes eh.
  20. senoj

senoj senoj 54 but now 55

Oddometer:
    you nail
    You nailed it.

Compression rod not connected in one fork, different pre-load spacers between the forks, second hand bump stop rubber on the shock and gassed to 50% of recommended pressure.

I work away so gave the gear out for the freshen up due to being time poor. I made it 40 klm and a heap of adjustment stops before I turned around went home and stripped the forks to find the issues.

I won't discuss it further as I was so dumbfounded I can't say anything positive so best I say nothing.

Kind Regards