640 625 lc4 KTM seized, suspected cooling problem

Discussion in 'Australia' started by unclemitty, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:

What happened to the 510 on the W/E?

Did you get back to camp before dark?
  2. unclemitty

unclemitty uncalamity superhero

Oddometer:
    The intake boot was completely torn off the head between the injector and the head. I hope it hasn’t sucked in too much crap and affected the valves.. time will tell. These boots have always been pretty average on what is otherwise a well sorted bike. This is my second boot in about 6000km, I’d layer up sikaflex in it yet this doesn’t really overcome the brittle rubber which fails after a relatively short period of time. I’m scratching around trying to order one through SWM as I believe it’s the same part as what’s on the RS500R and actually half the price of the garbage husky boot. Part numbers match up too so I’m hoping that SWM have made some newer/better intake boots. I’ll keep you updated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made camp about 20 minutes after dark and before all the beer had been drunk, thankfully.

Nice 625 btw, youve sorted it out very well indeed! Did you and the mrs make Hopetoun before dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Good it was nothing too serious.

Got off Pella track just as Sun was setting behind trees.
    Came across a heap of 4x4's in the last 20km on Milmed track that had no idea how to deal with on-coming vehicles!:dunno
    Back to Hopetoun just after 7 - last 20 minutes in the dark.
    Jardine found her sand legs again and was flying - no waiting required by the end:ricky
    There was some pretty tricky ruts on the hills where the forbies have been bogged which required full attack/survival mode to get through without swapping-up and crashing.
    The Golden tyres worked a treat (fatty front) in the sand, even at 20psi.
    Good to be back OUT in the desert and nice to catch-up with you all - albeit briefly.
    wrya1 likes this.
  4. unclemitty

Oddometer:

I was thinking that you two would have been fighting to get out before the shadows set in. Jardine was handling that 701 quite nicely, I must say.
    From where my bike stopped (right at the highest point of Round Swamp) I could hear 4x4s battling away for a good 45mins to an hour. I don’t know why they’d be chopping up the track, unless they had trailers which is the worst imo, yet driving isn’t hard out there in an average 4x4, it’s just slow going.
    I might have to look into those Golden Tyres. Hopefully next time we can squeeze in a night’s camping Bluetonguejak as well as a couple of tracks.

5. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Hold your $35, these hoses change colour in UV light like a chameleon. I could have sworn they were orange last week when I finished the build and now they’re yellow

I’m going to start the run in process tomorrow so let’s see if these cheapo silicone hoses don’t leave me for dead and drop my coolant. Has anyone bought good aftermarket hoses for their lc4? If so, please provide a link. Thanks, Mitty [​IMG]

GodSilla likes this.
  6. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Bike rode well this morning. There was a slight coolant leak from somewhere around the water pump yet I will take the tank off before heading home tonight, it’s likely a bad clamp or maybe these high quality new hoses..

I’m yet to ring her neck as it’s still being run in. More to come..

Bluetonguejak likes this.
  7. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    The 625 has been behaving. It starting on the kick starter with relative ease and has only leaked a bit of coolant as a result of bad hose clamps. I have my reservations about these cheap hoses, they seem pretty crap tbh. Maybe it is just the UV light cutting through the orange colouring but I may swap them out with OEM or better quality aftermarket hoses if they start showing signs of perishing.

So far so good..
    GSDane and Roofchop like this.
  8. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    new hypercolour design, they change colour with heat perhaps, I wouldn't worry till they're red /s :1drink
  9. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got some crap hoses.

My silicon hoses are 5 years old and are still a wonderful orange (except where oil has leaked on them). I bought them off Ebay, but I don't know who from.

It used to be recommended to use special silicon hose clamps to prevent damaging the hoses.
  10. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing that recommendation on kits for sale through eBay last year, before I bought mine. The hoses themselves seem ok, just the colour fade is concerning me and making my consider that the overall manufacturing quality isn't quite up to speed. Ill watch them closely though and if they play up then I'll swap them out.
  11. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Keep us in the loop about water level and oil colour mate!
  12. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    So far so good, the oil has always been black with no signs of water in it (no milky colour). There is approximately 30k km on it now and I rebuilt the water pump at 15k km so I am not expecting any seal failures soon. It may happen yet I think it's unlikely.

I should try borrow the cooling system pressure test kit from my mechanic mate. As a farmer's test goes, when I squeeze a cooling hose I can feel the bulge in other hoses throughout the cooling system. The coolant level isnt dropping either yet I have done a significant number of km or hours riding yet so we'll have to wait and see. Fingers crossed OldDog!
  13. wrya1

wrya1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My cheap black ones are still black after more than a year. They were all good except for one hose that didn’t fit, so I still have an OEM in the mix.

That’s what you get for trying to go for the bling look.
  14. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Quick update, the bike is ticking along nicely. I am not far off giving her a good blast, it’s been through 8 or so heat cycles and running really well. It’s only doing 5-6km trips in traffic but so far so good. My motor sounds pretty awful and always has, there’s lots of loud ticking but has been like that for 20k km at least. There’s a few lc4’s in our family and mine is definitely loud but everything is in good shape; valve clearances, auto decomp, cam, CCT, etc. so Ill keep riding her as is.

Hopefully I’ll take the plunge and leave my mobile workshop at home soon.. I’m not sure if even I’m that arrogant yet [​IMG]

15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The standard bashplate is a resonator on these things, the best way to gauge the "noisiness" of your motor is to remove that bashplate and then have a listen.
    OldDog and unclemitty like this.
  16. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Or don't ever ride without earplugs. RFS motors are the same. Pulling the clutch in reduces that grumble and makes you feel better.
    Its one thing XR650's have over LC4's. They sound like new no matter how worn out they are.
    unclemitty likes this.
  17. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    True. Oh well, the motors prove their worth elsewhere. Its a very “top end” tick that these motors seem to have/can have. At least they are a trait of the motor rather than a definitive warning.

18. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    The LC4's sounded like this from new, so therefor the 640's sound like new after 100,000kms. :-)
    GodSilla likes this.
  19. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    The LC4 in the 5 speed incarnation are a very tough motor , particularly the bottom end . Back in late 2008 I was participating in the Longest Day ride on my 07 640 Adv and coming into Narrabri noticed a knocking / rattle noise , at the fuel up I checked around the bike for anything loose and set off at race pace for Bourke , doing a dollar plus ( plus a lot ) between Narrabri and Bourke the noise slowly got louder , it became a distinct knock and I realized the engine was not healthy at all . I pulled the pin on the LDR at Bourke and got a room in the pub and drowned my sorrows there . The next morning the bike started and ran quite well , except for the horrendous noise . I rode the bike back down the slab to Nyngan where our support vehicle was parked to transport us back to Newcastle . When I took the bike to my dealer ( was under 2 yrs old, so warranty still valid ) , the mechanic started the bike and was amazed that it ran with the noises it was making , he thought it was a bearing in the balance shaft set up or the like . I still do wonder if it would have actually got me home had I have had to ride it all the way . It did at least 600 km sounding like the piston was going to come out somewhere at 100 + KPH . But it kept going !

When he pulled the motor down a couple of days later he found the big end had slowly self destructed . The eventual diagnosis was that the big end was faulty from new and had shed the hard Chrome off the rollers and died slowly . I got a full rebuild under warranty and the bike ran well once fixed .
  20. unclemitty

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, the brand new radiator cap in mine seems to hold all the coolant that I have put in it. My old one never really kept a full system of coolant, it always seemed to drain to the top of the cooling fins as some other people have mentioned here too. That was the case anyway before the lower seal gave way in the cap.

Also, I have a feeling my fuel went a bit stale in the 5-6 weeks the bike was out of action. Initially the bike was a bit hard to start but after loading it with a fresh tank of fuel it has been starting great. I was about to check my valve clearances again despite setting them properly, just in case, although the fresh fuel seems to have resolved any issues I thought I had. Btw, I have almost exclusively been starting the bike on the kick starter as loose assessment of the engine's health. Seems good so far, it's pulling nicely and I've been giving it a little bit now that it has run in.