640 Adv grips

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Buckster, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I have heard various grips mentioned on here that are more comfy than the originals, I think I will change mine so am looking for recommendations.
  2. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I've used bicycle grips that fit my hand well with great results, on the LC4 and if your hands are big enough, I would try the Gel grips as these tend to ward off some vibration.
  3. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough I was thinking of bicycle grips, I do have big hands so gel grips would be no problem, I get bicycle grips at trade prices as well.
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Hopefully somebody can give you the mfg. and part number, but there are soft rubber grips, I belive they are called 600 series, as in 6xx, with small round holes in them, highly recomended for vibey bikes. Sorry I don't have better info, have them on my 640 from "Scotty" the P.O. love'em.
  5. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they are the ones that Sommer do, I will be over there sometime next month so may call in.
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can also endorse the fatter rubber dimpled grips - sorry I can't find a specific name/brand for them. They have a bit of a bulging profile and are covered in a series of small holes. They remind me of a golf ball - you'll know them when you see them. My local japanese bike dealer found them in one of those huge catalogs they have. I do remember that words "dual sport" were specifically mentioned in the name or discription. Hope this helps.

SRG
  7. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    These are the ones from Sommer.
    [​IMG]
    Is that them?
  8. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Those feel pretty nice too, just make sure you wire wrap them.
  9. Mack

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones I was talking about.
  10. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Wire wrap them? How do I do that? I usually stick them on with hair spray.
  11. techieguy

techieguy Lost in the woods

Oddometer:
    I use the same grips but they are from Pro Grip. No need to go to Germany. The model is 714 available at most shops.

I just put some rubbing alcohol inside and sloshed it around then drained. They slid on easily but see to be sticking well now.

Techie.
  12. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheers, have found them locally now.
  13. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Cheap too! :D
  14. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    those pro grips is what I use and I think they are awsome. I pick them up for $7.95 at my local dealer. And I do safety wire them.

Nate
  15. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, those are the ones!

SRG
  16. Mack

Oddometer:
    Safety wire around the circumference of the grip, in the small groove, keeps the grips from spinning in rough riding conditions.
  17. techieguy

techieguy Lost in the woods

Oddometer:
    Glad to help!

Techie
  18. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna order some Dual Star grip heaters and want to use this opportunity to replace the stock grips. I've used the Pro Grip #714 mentioned above and they didn't really blow my shirt up either. Anybody got any other's they'd recommend.
  19. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Pro Grip does have a ton to choose from. They've also got dual and triple compound models.

Ones I like, though I've not tried them yet (under the tree):

Triple: 790,791.
    Dual: 793,797.

In particular, the 797 looks like an interesting experiment. Normally I'm conservative with grips, I like a renthal diamond, but it looks like fun to try something with swells and finger grooves.

Go to progrip.com and check out the grip models.

Renthal also has some dual compound models which are pretty. I believe that some late model KTM bikes come with them stock. Renthal also makes a tapered model which has gotten good reviews.
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Spider grips which supposedly are designed pecifically for dirt bike vibration reduction. They seem to work fine, although I'll be honest and say that I haven't noticed much vibraton reduction vs. whatever was on the bike to begin with - the LC4's high-amplitude, low-freq vibes would be a challenge for any grip, I'd think.

http://www.spidergrips.com/

I used Aqua-Net to put them on and 18-months later, no slippage. They also have pre-molded grooves for safety wire if you feel the need.

Speaking of the use of hair spray for grips, I just had a bizzarre incident using same on my new DRZ. Suzuiki is notorious for using some kind of very tenacious grip glue on the throttle side; lots of folks report that they can't get the stock grip off without destroying the throttle sleeve and Suzuki sells the throttle sleeve with the grip pre-glued.

So I was expecting the worst, when I attempted to remove the stock grips. Low and behold, they came off exceptionally easily. While waiting to get around to pick up some Spiders at my local shop, I figured I was out of the woods, so I decided to pop the old OEM grips back on with hair spray so I could ride the bike in the interim.

A week later, I have the new grips and attempted to remove the old ones. The clutch side popped right off, but the throttle side was literally welded on - even after removing the throttle sleeve and using a wire brush in a bench grinder, I couldn't get the old grip off - the grip and the throttle sleeve were a single monolithic unit. I'm now waiting on a new throttle sleeve.

I can't believe Aqua Net is that strong a glue, so I'm guessing that the alcohol in the hair spray must have activated the super-glue that Suzuki puts in their stock grips that didn't take during initial assembly. Either that or hair spray is much nastier stuff than I thought.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

- Mark