640 adv petcock

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cross-country, Dec 26, 2005.

1. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about removing the main fuel petcock on my 640 and plating it off, (i have already built the block-off plate) and running the two small valves into a "Y" to the carb. Can anyone think of a reason why this would not work. I do alot of technical offroad on the bike and am worried about it being removed accidentally.
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind losing your reserve standpipe, have at it.

Oh, and somes pics might be interesting as the "suddenly missing petcock" topic gets some regular play around here...
    :deal
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Or get/make a rallye skidplate with boxes; best protection for your pet cock.
    :D
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I've been talking with a fellow, Chris Barnes, who is making some very nice CF tank guards. He will be making a set with an extension on the left guard to offer a degree of protection for the petcock.

I only mention this as an alternative to removing the main petcock, which at first thought sounds like a good idea... until you remember that should you run out of gas and need to open the second valve to use what remaining fuel you have... you will need to stop and get off the bike to do it.

There have been a few situations come to mind where this would be neither practical nor safe.

C
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I dreamt pictures too... :lol3

Just CF or is Chris Barnes using kevlar fabric as well? The banter about this type of guards has been pretty adamant about CF alone being insufficient to protect the tank (see discussion in Orange Crush). Shouldn't be that much more expensive, unless you want ballistic kevlar :evil
  6. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Losing the reserve does not bother me. I won't be losing any fuel volume, just a reminder that Im close to empty. The low fuel light that is on it gives the rider the same "reminder'' that the 950 gives, since the 950 has no reserve setting on its petcock.
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Do you know anyone who had theirs knocked off on a 640 Adventure? Nobody here has ever posted that they have. I think it is not worry'n about.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Just a couple - certainly not a common problem. One fella even put it back on with JB Weld! :lol3 But it seems like an unnecessary risk, particularly for folks who travel to B.F.E.
  9. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    If someone really feels it is a problem, protect it, don't remove it. There is far more chance of a leaky fuel line or flood'n or leak'n carb when parked where a petcock would come in very handy. Also, trail side repairs regading removal of the tank will be even more of a problem.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    So if this guy simply blocks off his petcock spot, then will he have to use the screw-valves on the other two fuel lines as a 'petcock'? Not sure of the physics of this stuff...
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    yes
  12. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Depends on the year, some had 1 valve and 1 petcock and some had 2 valves and 1 petcock.
  13. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    My 97 has two petcocks (left and right) and one screw valve (in front of the radiator). Both petcocks have reserve positions.

The 99 I just bought has one petcock (left side) and one screw valve (also in front of the radiator). The tank feels like it's got the lugs molded in for the additional right side petcock and just needs to be drilled.
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    OK, oh one of brief wisdom... if I might clarify - why does the petcock on my bike (03 with two additional valves) shut off the gas (when the extra two valves are still open)?
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Why would you shut off the crossover valves unless you are removing the tank? To have a primary... and secondary "last chance" reserve?:lol3
  16. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Meat needs all the chances he can get... :D
  17. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:

For the back country; after the main tank runs dry, then the first reserve runs dry, and the second reserve runs dry a cyanide pill pops out in order to prevent a slow painful death in desert. I paid extra for the model that also comes with a pen knife to cut yur arm off incase you get it caught under a rock. :patch
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Correct. For instance, the chance to understand why a fuel circuit with three drains can be shut off by only one...

ps - yes, creeper folks have mentioned before that the RS fuel cock can be shut to offer additional reserve, the amount of which depends upon how much you fall over on that tank of gas :rofl I always wondered WTF a adventure bike, with a 300 mile range (don't get started) is doing with a 25 mile reserve. I guess that is generally enough, but while on 'walkabout' it would be pretty near useless (although one should pay more attention and not need it eh?).
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    "Hello... my name is Meat Pop... ah nevermind what my name is. I've ridden 300 miles from nowhere and am now out of gas.
    I didn't get the optional cyanide pill or pen knife... but I did have the presence of mind to bring a cell phone and a GPS.
    Please come and bring 7.25 gallons of premium fuel to..."
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    "nevermind what my name is..." :poser

Still workin on the GPS angle... I am leaning towards a Garmin Rino, because of that fancy feature where two Rinos can see eachother on their screens :evil Could come in handy.

Now, um, three lines and only one petcock? :deal squeaky wheel gets the grease :lol3