640 ADV Scotts under bar mount interest?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SoilSampleDave, Feb 3, 2005.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    ADV notes:

Steering stem nut is 27mm or 1-1/16", whatever you have handy.

Ignition switch is attached with those vandal resistant screws like they use to assemble public restrooms. You know, phillips head, but with half of it relieved so there is no place for your screwdriver to make contact when trying to remove.
  2. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Oh cool. 27mm would have been handy, same as rear axle nut.

How did you manage to disconnect the ignition switch? Mine was also somewhat riveted to the triple clamp, but it had a couple of regular philips I could take off and the wiring popped off with them.

Did you have to trim any dash mounting for bolt-on clamp clearance?
  3. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if Sommer's in Germany does make one that will fit the LC4. Sent them an email and was told that the only one they have to fit an ADV is the one that goes above the bars. Had them send me a new 05 copy of the Sommer's catalog and looks like there is one on page #71 that says "Anbausatz Lenkungsdamper fur LC4\ Adventure etc etc" Wish I could speak german, I can barely handle english. Anybody know for sure.

Thanks
    flyshop
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    used to be there; maybe they dropped it?

there is a translator at www.altavista.com that work ok - usually you can get the gist - but w/out a pic i wonder which text to translate? maybe one of the euros will chime in...
  5. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    It is "mounting kit for steering damper, LC4/Adventure". :deal

Use Google language tools and you'll get some great translations that sound like a 1960 Yamaha owner's manual:

"STEERING WHEEL ENDS
    Prevented that up-scrub the grasp rubbers in the case of a fall and will revaluation also the optics still."
  6. potatoho

Oddometer:
    I think that it is more than likely that many of the 90mm spaced under-the-bar mounts would work on an LC4/ADV with some extra work. At the very least, you will need longer bolts to accomodate the rubber and OEM washers. And you will need a post (correct height) which is quite close to the steering stem, as there is not much space with the tank proximity. Maybe a custom stab lever or get a mount where the stab position is very flexible.

I'm thinking maybe a scotts + trailtech + emig LC4 bolt-on post. Or maybe a GPR2 + emig post. Not sure. There's also the PT mount. Someone on ktmtalk is going to fit that to an LC4, perhaps without rubber. Don't think I'd do that. I'd keep the OEM rubber+washer stuff.
  7. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    When e-mailing Sommers , you need to e-mail Oliver Nix. He's the english speaking dude.
  8. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oliver Nix is who told me that the only mount that they have for the ADV is an above the bar mount, unless I didn't understand. Think I email him and ask again.

Thanks guys
    flyshop
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I didn't. At first I was just going to be lazy and do it with all the controls still on the bars as a timesaver. When I got into it, I decided to remove everything and do it on the bench. That's when I discovered the vandal resistant screws. I couldn't tell if I could leave the swtch on the clamp and remove the wiring connection without fvcking it up, so I just said the hell with it and did the install "on the bike".
    The only thing is had to trim was the top off of the square ignition/parking lock receiver. I also had to slightly relieve the front of the bolt-on tower where the rigid wire cable retainer thingy contacted it on turning right.
    Gary Emig said he would be concerned that the taller tower for an above-bar mount would hit the front of the gas tank on an Adv, and would always recommend a sub mount for them.

10. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    He told me the same thing, that they didn't make one, in my first email, and sold one to me in the next email.
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Lost in Translation... :D
  12. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Its been maybe a year now but, oliver nix got me the under-bar set-up but, perhaps they stopped selling them. The fact that they send a spare set of lag bolts says that they are having more than a few get twisted enough for a rebuild so, maybe they quit selling them?? Its a 1 5/8" rise over stock which would be adequate with the stock seat but, witth the boejangles seat I think I want to go taller still.
  13. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi Mack,
    So what you are saying is you actually got one ?? And it fit an ADV 640 ??

Thanks
    flyshop
  14. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Swampy,

And you also have gotten one from Sommers, if so have you had any of the problems that you spoke of above with yours ???

Thanks
    flyshop
  15. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Dampners, I have an extra one available if someone is looking.
    $200.00 fair? It's a scotts!
  16. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    Come on! There's plenty of room LOL.
    [​IMG]
  17. Mack

Oddometer:
    James,

I would be interested in the damper. I need one for the 950.

Sorry I couldn't call today, co-workers guilted me into being crew chief.

Talk to you real soon. Mack

Going to the welder on Wednesday, Going to the welder..... Yee Haw I can't wait to get the motor back in, and be on the road!
  18. Mack

Oddometer:
  19. BlitzBike

BlitzBike LC4 Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Loaded, I already have a KTM sommer under bar mount with a 40mm or
    1 5/8" rise over stock, but, If you could hook me up with an even taller riser and
    Lag bolts I would be interested in that ( I have a Boejangles seat so I wanna go taller).
  20. flyshop

flyshop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get the taller one, do you want to sell the shorter one you got now ??

flyshop