640 Adventure Electrical Breakout Schematics

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Apr 9, 2006.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    This ignition schematic is the first in a series of 2003 and later (to my knowledge) 640 Adventure "breakout" schematics.
    To follow will be, in no particular order, breakouts for the starting system, charging system and lighting/accessory systems.

[​IMG]

To obtain an original (very large) size version of the ignition schematic, click here.

If anyone spots incorrectly included or omitted "wires", PM me with the details and I'll correct it ASAP.

As this type if work is time consuming, it may be a few weeks before I can drum up the effort to start another one. When I do, I will post it in this thread.

That’s it,
    C
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    somebody give that man a cigar!! hope yer healing up well old man :D
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :huh

my vote for "Understatement of the Year" :deal

Looks like a useful thing! Hope to doG I never need it or any of it's future bretheren... :lol3 Does this mean you regained interest?
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Enough interest to finish the ignition breakout.

The reason behind this idea is because I know plenty of people that are scared shitless of electrical gremlins because they either can't read a schematic or are overwhelmed by "all them freakin' wires going every whichaway"

If people can see that when a problem arises, they are really only dealing with the wiring in a sub-system, and not the whole wiring harness... then maybe they will be less apprehensive about trying to solve their problem.
    Smaller bites are easier to eat.

Zat make any sense to you?

C
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Another few weeks and I'll be good enough to "work" a clutch for awhile. :D

Thanks,
    C
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yup. Your figures will be a great help, no doubt about it.

I am still apprehensive about electrical work though. My eyes glaze over when I look at the various wire bundles :cry Are the bundles of wires in the harness indicative of the various sub-systems or do mfgs. bundle wires that happen follow the same route?

Just wondering how complicated electrial work gets in reference to the bundles; have you found it common to have to unwrap bundles of wires? Maybe that should not seem like 'major disassembly' in my mind, but it does...
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    :poser :poser :poser.... :oscar

Ah... the latter. :D
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :doh
    I was afraid of that...

Well the breakouts will still be of assistance. Too bad the wiring isn't more logically organized on the bike. Seems like its more of an afterthought in my limited experience.
  9. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Let's call it "Creeper's Third Law of random wiring".

All manufacturers seem to run certain circuits in ways that defy logic. It really gets interesting when your diagram's color coding is wrong.... :huh
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    What were the First and Second Laws of Random Wiring?
  11. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your efforts. I hope I don't have to use it - but I've saved it just in case.
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    At one time I had the 1st and 2nd laws commited to memory, but I believe that with the onset of old-timer's disease they have been relegated to my mental dust-bin.... :cry
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I can't even spell commyted. :huh
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    me neither,

tank dog four spew chuckers

:pope
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    These charging and starting schematics are the second and third in a series of 2003 and later (to my knowledge) 640 Adventure "breakout" schematics.

[​IMG]

To obtain an original (very large) size version of the charging schematic, click here.

[​IMG]

To obtain an original (very large) size version of the starting schematic, click here.

If anyone spots incorrectly included or omitted "wires", PM me with the details and I'll correct it ASAP.

That’s it,
    C
  16. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    This is the last one. Lighting, accessories and switch power.

[​IMG]

To obtain an original (very large) size version of the the lighting and accessory schematic, click here.

As stated before, if anyone spots incorrectly included or omitted "wires", PM me with the details and I'll correct it ASAP.

All done.
    C
  17. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    But creep,
    the wires on my bike aren't just blue, red, green.:confused There is some brown, orange and other coloured ones, and some wires have 2 colours, some have white stripes too ? :dunno

:pot :lol3 Just thought I'd get that in before someone say's it for real.

Good Job old chap:beer .

I don't find it hard to follow the complete wiring diagram, but these make it even easier. :thumb
    Its the working with the actual wiring loom/s that :ruskie me. My TT - RB and IMO instal was very quick once I got annoyed and cut th 2 spare, unobtainable locally, connectors under the dash off and put 1 standard run of the mill one on the wires.
  18. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yeah... better to say it as a joke now, before some electrically challenged individual comes along and says it for real.
    As you can imagine, with this particular breakout, it was much easier to highlight the systems than to try and separate them.

Maybe now that I've cleaned this one up, I might try to separate it out some more, but I honestly don't see how I can delete anything else to make it more clear.
    If someone wanted to take all these and add color codes to them for their own benefit... I suppose that would be about as far as you could go, short of doing some from scratch.

Laters,
    C
  19. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Yeah, I had some free time. This diagram is for an '02, however. The picture is linked to the full-sized version.
    [​IMG]

It is probably easiest to read if you print it out. The colors to remember are:
    brown: ground
    yellow/red: unswitched power
    yellow/blue: switched power

Does anyone know of an image editing program that lets you replace colors in the entire image?
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Photoshop will let you select by color I believe and then replace with another. There is a selection tool that will learn the color that you select too. Pretty sure, but I am no electronic graphic artist.