640 Enduro Windscreen

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by clintnz, Feb 3, 2005.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Since I'm about to go and rack up a few thousand k's with the boys over the next 4 days I thought I should get around to making the windscreen I designed in my head a while back. So it was off to the plastics guy here at work, who cut & bent up a bit of 4mm polycarbonate to fit over & follow the lines of the headlight/dash assembly on the 640. He said the plastic was very tough but tended to crack from holes so I epoxied some aluminium strips on top to reinforce the mounting points, & some rubber underneath to spread the load, drilled a few discreet holes in the headlight surround & voila:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've made it long so I can trim it down to tune the airflow if needed.
    I think the result is no more ugly than the aftermarket screens I have seen that would fit, took 1/2 an hour to make, & cost $20 (that's US$bugger all)

I'll report back next week & let y'all know if it worked, or if it tore itself off the first time I pulled out to pass a truck, & smacked me in the face :lol3

2014 edit: to see details of my new homebrew screen/dash/7" headlight setup on the 640 see here

Cheers
    Clint
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Looks good Clint. You did a nice job of it... and low dollar too! :thumb
  3. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    when do you start takeing orders for these? really i'm thinking a slipstreamer tombstone for it's removability. anyone do that?
    scott
  4. ponq

ponq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking screen.

You could make some $$ selling that.
  5. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe you thinks is a bit ugly because of the angles?
    i think these orange bikes are desiged with the same flair you have on your screen...it looks perfectly great to me! :thumb
  6. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks very nice, real adventure biker stylee.
  7. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments guys, the windscreen was so easy to make that I would feel dishonest selling them :lol3 Find a plastics fabricator & get the polycarbonate bent up - take off the headlight unit & give it to them so they can get the bend & size right. The top of the screen is 190mm above the top edge of the dash. Then anybody with a drill & hacksaw can do the rest.

Anyway, after 2100km of riding over the last 4 days including some solid chunks of highway, lots of gravel & a spot of technical stuff here & there, I can report that it works bloody well.
    It really removes the strain on the arms from pulling yourself into the bars & makes highway travel much more pleasant & less tiring, especially in the 110 - 130 km/h range. An added bonus is the ability to stand up easily for extended periods at speeds up to 110km/h - great for reducing monkey-butt during long trips.
    The airflow hits my head but not my body, the only drawback so far has been noise as the wind is a bit turbulent just under my helmet, there's not much buffeting but it is louder, nothing earplugs can't deal with though.
    The screen doesn't seem to get in the way at all when wrestling the bike through the rough stuff, & it withstood a few whacks from small branches & suchlike with no problems.

Cheers
    Clint
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  9. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, funny how I foreshadowed my washout, eh?

Microswirl - no discernable difference for me in my app. I sent it back and got my money back.

Spacers make a difference in this app (with the f650 screen). I used skateboard trucks bushings :thumb
  10. todd83-900t

todd83-900t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried, or have pictures of, a Cee Bailey's windscreen on their LC4?

Cee Bailey's windscreen

(Duplicate post on ktmtalk.)
  11. averagejoe

averagejoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will take pics tommorow for you. I just recieved it and have not put in on.
  12. averagejoe

Oddometer:
    I installed the Cee Bailys windscreen today. Very well made. It looks very nice and you hardly notice it. I did not get to ride with it though. The only thing I saw that would make it better is to make it adjustable so that you can make adjustments per your height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you could mount the windshield to something like the "MADSTAD" windshield brackets they make for the V Strom and get some adjustability?
    Would it be possible to post the mounting hole dimensions? My Son-in-Law has the MADSTAD brackets mounted on his bike and I could compare them.
    Let us know how this works long term.:ear
    Thanks.
  14. averagejoe

Oddometer:
    The drill bit was 1/4" for the bolts to go through. So I guess that is pretty close for what you are asking.

The clear screen is barely noticable. I may end up adding a longer top bolt and spacer to deflect air away from my head. More upright position. i will experiment with it and let everyone know. For $50 its pretty inexpensive, seems like a bargin.
  15. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My communication skills are not very good:huh .
    I was kinda wondering if the holes on the windshield are pre drilled, and what the spacing is between holes top to bottom and side to side. If you take a look at the MADSTAD brackets these would allow you to adjust the angle and height of the windshield without using spacers and longer bolts.
    Sorry for the confusing question in my previous post.
    Have you had a chance to try the new shield out?
  16. averagejoe

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that...

4 1/4" horizontally
    4" verticaly
    Its a square pattern.

Nope havent been out yet. Prepping my race bike for the mudfest tommorow in WV.
  17. BooneDog

BooneDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still working on getting the fuse box mount, and holes drilled for powerlets, but this is a Vstrom screen mounted on my SXC with RAMM mounts.

I've had it up to 90mph and it was very comfortable (with SMoto wheels). Detaches in about 10 seconds, with one plug to fuse box that's mounted in the dash(part of the windscreen assembly that comes off)

I will use black and orange vinyl to fill in the screen and cover teh Suzuki emblem on the Strom screen. Mounts are now different than shown in this photo, that was the initial mockup using hose clamped mounts from my boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Boca

Boca Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread, I've found the MRA RoadShield a good solution for enough windshield for distance work that strips off easy when you get to the trailhead.

Many miles of highway to the camp site:
    [​IMG]

Not really a problem on the trail:
    [​IMG]

But strips off easy (along with the excellent DoubleTake mirrors) for more difficult trails:
    [​IMG]