640 hiccups

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gunnerbuck, Jan 10, 2006.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Good catch. Sorry we all missed it. :D

There was a thread about a year ago (I think) where the owner had the same issue. It's so odd that apparently everyone forgot about it.

Again... glad you finally caught the problem and were able to correct it. :thumb

C
  2. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Hi we had a couple '03s with a badly crimped cable shoe on the CDI. That resulted in a CDI that was switching from 95 to 80 Octane sometimes.
    Worth checking.

And after a longer Winterbreak you might expect some condensed water in the flood barrel of the carb or the tank. Drain it and also the tank.

cheers

Stefan
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Always worthwhile to scan the last page or two just in case he found the problem and it's something other than what you guessed. :amazon
  4. Happe

Happe Adventure Bike Spanner Man

Oddometer:
    Yes Daddy
    you're right Daddy
    won't do it again Daddy

:ken

cheers

Stefan
  5. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Well, looks like I might be chasing this same issue. *Fingers crossed* started the bike at 4am and the lights would not turn on, fiddled with wires under dash til they stayed on, geared back up to head for work and the engine died with a quiet pop from under the seat area. No restart, but I get a starter relay click. Checked 1 fuse, still have to check the other.

Now after reading this, I am wondering if the issue from earlier in the week was a warning. Tach light and tail running light would sometimes fail to light. I would jiggle the key or run over a pothole or 2 and they would come back on! Also, from day 1 of owning this bike (3/2010) the tach needle bounces violently! All related?!
  6. whereisgibson

whereisgibson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've a gas-powered soldering iron in my kit now for the exact same reason. Twice the electrics have dumped me somewhere; 1st was the ignition wiring coming out the barrel, 2nd was some wire in the white blocks under the dash. Bike had 12k and 20k, no problems since with 43k miles now. 2007 bike. But still I worry...
  7. Coho911

Coho911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just posted this over on the LC4/ 640 ADV thread, but I will need to follow it up here (more appropriate).

Pulled my Tank to do a little checking and maintenance and here is what I found...

:baldy :baldy :baldy :baldy

a) A Stripped Fuel tank bolt (had the bike repaired on the trip from an oil leak... F'ing ARGH :ddog. - WHOLE new problem - I can't get the bolt out, the embedded nut in the tank plastics just spins. F&^^% me.) --- Anyone have suggestions ? WD-40 and some light upwards friction didn't work.
    [​IMG]

b) A lightly worn wiring harness cover - the protective tape around it is worn, but the wires look ok, I will be taking the tape off and having a closer look later. (Argh x2). Is there a better placement for this harness?? or are they all right along the side of the frame. Seems to make more sense to be just under it so the tank doesn't rub on it. :becca

[​IMG][​IMG]

c) Sheared Horn connection wires (ok thats an easy fix - just new connector tips).

There goes my Saturday Fun Rally ride. :(: