640 Tank Protection

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by flyingwasp, Apr 28, 2006.

1. flyingwasp

flyingwasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I've searched the index now for a while and can't seem to find any available tank bars or carbon protectors anywhere? Did the bars get recalled for safety? Are the carbon fiber ones only homemade?

I need some advice on whats available and whats best to use to protect the tanks / petcock. Thanks in advance
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Threads are indexed pretty damn well. Did'ja look?

There is a fella in the UK who is working on some CF guards, but w/out Kevlar he won't get my money. I will probably have to do that myself, but I am on the hindu scheduling on that mod (next lifetime... :rofl).

The HB crash bars were recalled, re-released, and poo-pooed by some. But they are still for sale so you might wanna give them a try (Sommer KTM in Europe is selling them still).
  3. flyingwasp

flyingwasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it sounds like I was right.

Has anyone ordered from the Sommers dealer in germany? Whats is "poo poo" about the tank bars?
  4. Yehuda Ari

Yehuda Ari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I contacted HB directly and was referred to Moto Bins Ltd in the UK. (sales@motobins.co.uk). I communicated with them via email, ordered off their online site, and the crashbars were shipped to my place in the US. Shipping cost was like $60 or something. I read all the tank protection threads, and am familiar with the problems people were having with these things. Haven't picked up my 06 640 yet but I have the bars and weld quality looks good. The problems were weld quality / harmonics issues causing weld failure. I plan to monitor the bars with regular preflight inspections and see how they do. Tank protection is important to me as I fall over ocassionally in the rough stuff! I'll keep you guys posted about how these things hold up.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find the "Mom, I holed my tank an' ripped off my cock, out on the trail'' thread..... :lol3

has it ever happened?
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wasp,
    Not sure what year your bike is but the bars do not fit the high fender model if my understanding is correct. I figured they could be modified to fit and I want a set for my '02. If you want to get together on a joint order lets do it. Maybe we can save some postage. Others might be interested too. Like Braap says I never heard of anyone wearing a hole in a tank but I am headed out of the country so I would go for the extra protection if I can get it to fit somehow. Does anyone know the price from Motobins? I have done plenty of business with them for parts on the airhed beemers. They are a great company to deal with. Brits and bikers.
    Bill.
  7. flyingwasp

flyingwasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent them an email asking about ording procedures and prices. My bike is an 01 with the high fender. What are the fitment issues?
  8. Hudman

Hudman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ari,

If I can ask what did you pay for the crash bars from Motobins UK total? $230 plus $60 shipping? Thanks for any info.
  9. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can the tanks be taken off with the bars in place?
  10. downhillfromhere

downhillfromhere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dunno about holing the tank, but my Brother in law's Adventure had his fuel line ripped off by a stick on a Little Desert ride with us last year..

We quickly jammed the hose back on before we lost too much fuel. Not sure if the bars would have prevented this though. Coulda been worse. Looks like the fuel tap is in a vulnerable area.

His lower leading edge of the tank is badly scuffed. It seems to be the first thing that touches the ground when he crashes.
  11. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wasp,
    There are a few things about the KTM Adventure bike that are deep secrets and have never been penetrated. My buddy had a girlfriend like that. If the tank can come off is one of these secrets, another is the fitment issues on the older bikes. In fact the crash bars in general are veiled in the mystery. This is an area where if you want to make progress most likely you will have to do it yourself. I will do my best to help and will buy with you if we can work it out. I figure the frickin bars are made of steel and that it can be heated, bent,welded, twisted, painted, plated. drilled, screwed, bolted, spaced, you get the idea(oh ya hammered too). Most Hepco Becker racks are tube in a tube so they are actually much stronger than they look-double wall. OK,I might be wrong but that is my idea of them. All I know is the Germans at Sommer told me they do not fit without modification.Who knows what modification means to a German.
    I think they are necessary as my tank is already scuffed up and I did only low speed crashes so far.
    As for the tank coming off it pulls off straight back so I dont see a problem. It might be harder to set the valves with the bars in place but they should unbolt easy enough. Stay in touch. My email is bmwstbill@yahoo.com.
    Bill in Tomahawk, WI.
  12. Yehuda Ari

Yehuda Ari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $230 + $60 sounds about right. I'm on a job down in Yucatan and don't have the papers to verify the exact price. I've got a 950 with crashbars and luggage rack and these things have paid for themselves many times over. Between me and my wife riding the 950 we've had the thing laid down a few times in the backwoods, with hardly a scratch on the bike. To me, these bars are required gear for having fun out in the woods, cause the bikes are too damn pretty to tear up! I bought the crashbars for the 640 before I got the bike. Now I just need to get back to the US so I can get it all put together and try it out.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    As I recall someone posted the second release of the bars still had problems. But that is a fuzzy recollection.

Well not both at the same time, but the answer to both is YES. Posted by several well respected board members. Maybe not common, but it still happens.

This is definately INDEXED. Scoot Jocket fit these bars to his high fender LC4a and then gave his hardware changes (to the fender mounts I believe) to afetke at Adventurers Workshop. Go take a look.

It looks that way, but check the thread(s) in the index for comments based upon experience.
  14. zugy

zugy My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer:
    Were in Nippon? How many Yen?

I am tired of all this Carbon fiber stuff that has no real protective use. Who has the now how on how to do real carbon fiber?

We need tank covers in CARBON FIBER! For all larger tank sizes. :wink:

Bars are stupid heavy and can get caught on something too.
  15. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just need something to cover this. :cry
    [​IMG]

Crashing sucks.

S.C.
  16. Otter

Otter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's with all the carbon fiber love? :wink:

It's harder to come by, more expensive and at least to my thought (looks like meat's also) less useful in this application than a structural Kevlar™ would be. You want something that is strong, light and can take being pounded/bashed/scrapped and still have the integrity to keep protecting.

$0.02
  17. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    That's one expensive piece of carbon. Almost half the cost of a new tank. Look on the index for Rhino Liner coatings. They seem to be made for abuse.

I'm cheap I use a Scotchlite reflective decal that is thick. It protects aginst mild abuse from off roading. The nice part is that you can reapply them to hide scratches.

You can see the stuff in white under the main tank decal.
  18. humdinger

humdinger bp

Oddometer:
    I did this the other day while attempting a hill climb.
    As I fell toward the down side of the hill, I threw myself under the bike to minimize damage. Great! Worked fine! Then when I tried to get up, all the loose rocks underneath gave way so bike and rider went 'grinding' down the hill!
    Looks like I've got my sargents stripes! :cry
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    scarification is...... cathartic! :D

whore'y ole pic but....I can almost see my fuel level

[​IMG]

or....

[​IMG]

just take it like a 'man'
  20. humdinger

humdinger bp