690 help needed

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Deadly99, May 27, 2015.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Working on a friends 690, we tore it apart. Worked well before. Now it starts fine but stalls the minute it gets put in gear.

The obvious answer is the kickstand switch. We bypassed it and it still has the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :nod

Thanks in advance
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a magnet on the sidestand, if it or the switch body moves out of alignment it will not work. How did you go about "bypassed" the switch?
    If memory serves, the sidestand switch is not a simple open/closed circuit which is why KTM sells a sidestand delete module. If you do some searching you should be able to find instructions on how to make one. The other option is to: leaving the switch plugged in to the circuit remove the magnet from the sidestand and zipty it to the switch so it thinks the sidestand is up and then relocate the combo to wherever you like.

Bruce
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    We tried the magnet and it didn't make a difference.

We then tried a bypass using a transistor (as per adv how to) and it still didn't make a difference.

A volt meter shows juice on the wire, so we ruled out something further up the wire.

We're at a bit of lose as to what to do next. The bike was fully dismantled and a Rally raid kit installed...tomorrow the bike is supposed to be used in the Roaming Rally....

Can anyone think of anything other than the kickstand that might cause this same issue? Keep in mind the majority of the wiring was dismantled...

Appreciate it, big time
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Sorta great news...we cut the wire to the neutral switch and bypassed and now the bike works (still need to go out on a shakedown ride).

Any issues with doing what we did other than the neutral light is now always on?
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    So...Bike runs but in limp mode. Feels like a klr :cry

Hoping someone may have some insight into what we could do other than the bypass.

Thanks in advance :thumb
  6. carlosbarrios

carlosbarrios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you add the bypass resistor before or after the connector? If your bypass was done between the connector and the kickstand switch, then perhaps your connector came loose.

While you're at it, check the clutch switch as well.
  7. carlosbarrios

Oddometer:
    Also consider the possibility that the wire harness has a broken wire further up. I'd check the sidestand switch wires all the way up!
  8. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    So basically you tricked your machine into thinking it's in neutral, which is why it is no longer dying when you put it into gear. I bet the reason it's running like crap is because the ECM thinks its in neutral, and not giving you full power.

There has got to be some problem with the sidestand switch or its wiring that is causing the problem of dying when put into gear.
  9. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    My experience was with the clutch switch. When I was in Australia I failed tech because I was running a modified short lever and needed a stock one...so I picked up an aftermarket piece at the dealer...put it on the bike and it started and ran fine. However When I went to ride the bike the next day the bike wouldn't start...it was in gear...I shifted to neutral and it fired up and was fine...but it woudnt start in gear. Turns out that the lever I got didnt have the nub on it to depress the clutch switch. So...we cut the wires to the clutch and I think we connected them. Same issue you had...bike ran but ran poorly because it thought the clutch was in all the time.

Sounds to me like your side stand bypass isn't working as it should. Either you have the resistor installed incorrectly or possibly the wrong resistor? I just bought the little box that plugged in so I cannot say what the value should be.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, will be trying them.
  11. carlosbarrios

Oddometer:
  12. Seth S

Oddometer:
    Have you verified the fuel map switch is set to 2 or 3 and not 0 or 1? Also any chance you messed up the mapping?
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Will double check Carlos.

Seth, will double check but fairly confident in saying no.
  14. Seth S

Oddometer:
    has the rollover switch been eliminated?
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Clock is ticking. Thanks Seth, no this hadn't been ruled out but now will be.

Side stand switch gone over 100 times, confident this isn't the issue.

Clutch lever switch bypassed, no difference.

Wiring loom has been inspected pretty darned well, couldn't see anything (battery removed, zip ties all cut, computer and mount removed, fuses checked and fuse box removed...nothing visibly wrong.

Verified in setting #2.

Starts in neutral dies when out into gear.
    Won't start in first with clutch engaged.

Running out of time :cry
  16. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    where is the roll over switch located?
  17. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    What was the voltage you measured on the PINK wire?

Reprint from: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26219128&postcount=13

"I dug out the meters and disconnected the plug to the side stand sensor. Using clip leads to make the connections and access the wires, the sensor (pink) line is +/- 5v as is the power source (blue). Black is ground. When extending the side stand the sensor voltage drops to about half or 2.5 volts. Shorting the sensor line to ground (pink to black) was no go.

Disconnecting the plug and inserting (on the ECU side) a 1.8k ohm resistor across the pink to black drops the voltage on the sense line to the required 2.5 volts and effectively bypasses the side stand functionality.

Disclaimer, your bike, do as want. No long term data here, its only 5 minutes of testing thus far. As for me, I've already been caught by the misaligned sensor once so I will probably make this a permanent fix before I disappear into the boonies.
    "
  18. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's located right behind the rear shock. It is worth getting rid of as I had problems with mine out in the middle of the boonies. I think if this was the problem the bike would not start though.
  19. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:

^This. Check the voltage going to the ECU on the pink wire with a voltmeter. Make sure that you trace the pink wire and take the reading as far upstream as you can to rule out a broken wire in the loom.

The issues you are describing point to the side stand switch or wiring.

I know that you are in a time crunch, but be careful throwing a bunch of bypasses into the system. You could end up making more problems for yourself, masking the original issue.
  20. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I hope my post wasn't misunderstood...you cannot bypass the clutch lever switch. If you bypass it the bike will either think the clutch lever is in all the time (and run like poo)or it will think the bike is in gear and you will only be able to start in neutral. Best bet is to connect the switch and make sure the lever is the stock one or has the appropriate nub on it to activate the switch when the lever is pulled in.